AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are some of the better products that could be used to do this???? im shooting for something that would work with my laptop to control everything remotely....Not really looking to spend a great deal of money, but can compromise when i see something that looks solid.....any finger pointing in the right direction or advice will be greaty appreciated....oh forgot, i would like to do is with something that would work with exsiting wiring as the upstairs to my home is finished but not the downstairs....

·
Registered
355 Posts
Check out Insteon or X10 for basic appliance, light, and HVAC control. You can use girder or homeseer or a number of other programs accessible via the web that will drive X10; not sure about Insteon.

The search function is your friend; there are MANY threads on the various options.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey LTG,

Look into Insteon, UPB, or Z-Wave. Insteon is releasing their thermostat module next month and you could use the ISY-26 to remotely control everything over the web.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccessHA /forum/post/12862769

Hey LTG,

Look into Insteon, UPB, or Z-Wave. Insteon is releasing their thermostat module next month and you could use the ISY-26 to remotely control everything over the web.

thanks for the info, i think im gonna look into the z-wave stuff

·
Registered
9 Posts
UPB or zWave is a good starting footprint. We are heavy into HAI (Homeauto.com) and carry zWave and zigbee thermostats. When you start wanting to put a couple grand into a much more useful system, you can get into the Omni (Security) or Lumina (Non Security) from HAI. This will allow you to do all the initial things you request and communicate with all the initial stuff you started with; plus MANY more opportunities that can really better your lifestyle without breaking the bank!!

-matt
www.techniglobal.com

·
Registered
771 Posts
I would look into UPB. If you want to do x10-DO NOT BUY FROM X10. I have x10 technology but the x10 switches are crap. I found the leviton switches to be way more reliable.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with zWave for lighting & appliance control. I'm doing HVAC via hardwired though, as 1)I could, and 2)it's infinitely better than any wireless protocol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts