AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have a Chroma 5, a Accupel 3000 pattern generator and Progressive Labs software. I have only been calibrating gray scale and gamma curves on my current pj. After much deliberation and consternation I am now planning on buying a JVC RS20 and will want to calibrate it. The JVC (has at least in name) a CMS and it appears from posts in the RS 20 calibration thread that the Chroma 5 is not optimal to use when calibrating P/S's and the Progressive Labs software is not optimal because it does not give Delta E readings. If this is true, what is the least expensive meter and software that would do the job?

From posts in this forum, it appears most feel the i1Pro spectroradiometer and CalMan s/w are the way to go, but I want to see if there are less expensive/better options available.

Thanks,

Bill Grizzard

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

You need a spectrometer to do this right and the i1 pro is the least expensive one on the market.

The Progressive labs program has dC* which should be fine. If in doubt ... ask Cliff.

regards

·
Registered
707 Posts
The Progressive Labs Software provides the user with Delta C* values which for all intents and purposes is the same thing which most users refer to as Delta E. The main difference between the two is that Delta E requires that the reference value "Y" needs to be scaled to either 1 or 100 as there is no value supplied for any D illuminant or other White reference. When you perform the math you will end up removing the "Y" brightness values for the measured and reference levels and then have accomplished the same thing as if you had performed the Delta C* equation.

Delta E was intended for use primarily with the textile industry and is used with instrumentation which provides a standard reference lamp to illuminate both the reference patch as well as the sample patch ie used for Pantone color matching etc. Most reference books will specify that the correct methodology to be used for video display measurement is Delta C*

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.