AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is next for this setup?

Hey everyone!

I finally received my Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE’s. Absolutely love them. For how compact they are, the bass is phenomenal and the detail should be known without even mentioning it. I could be completely satisfied with these for years to come, but I am having that itch for even better sound.

What is next up? I know a subwoofer is definitely next but sadly my mom said no. Too expensive for a single speaker. I don’t think she is aware of how much a sub can do for a system. But putting that aside, what would be next? A center? Maybe surrounds? I was also thinking possibly foam panels for acoustic treating? What would give me the best upgrade for the money? If you have a different suggestion that wasn’t mentioned, let me know!

My setup is as follows:
Ascend CMT-340s
Onkyo TX-NR656
11x11 room, untreated besides my bed :)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
21,623 Posts
Hey everyone!

I finally received my Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE’s. Absolutely love them. For how compact they are, the bass is phenomenal and the detail should be known without even mentioning it. I could be completely satisfied with these for years to come, but I am having that itch for even better sound.

What is next up? I know a subwoofer is definitely next but sadly my mom said no. Too expensive for a single speaker. I don’t think she is aware of how much a sub can do for a system. But putting that aside, what would be next? A center? Maybe surrounds? I was also thinking possibly foam panels for acoustic treating? What would give me the best upgrade for the money? If you have a different suggestion that wasn’t mentioned, let me know!

My setup is as follows:
Ascend CMT-340s
Onkyo TX-NR656

Thanks in advance!
This excellent little sub is perfect for a bedroom and costs less than a single CMT340.

https://emotiva.com/products/basx-s8

·
Registered
17,890 Posts
My setup is as follows:
Ascend CMT-340s
Onkyo TX-NR656
A photo of your setup and room would be helpful.

What are the speakers sitting on? Are the tweeters ear level to your main listening position? If not, a good pair of speaker stands, maybe $100.

How wide apart are the speakers? If they are far apart enough, a center speaker might be a good idea for your HT usage.

I agree with the previous poster that even a small 8" sub like that Emotiva would be a big upgrade.

·
Registered
892 Posts
A center might be good, as Zorba said, depending on how far apart your L and R are and how far away you sit. As far as acoustic panels, clap your hands in the room and see how "echoey" it is. Might be fine with carpeted floor and the bed. The Emotiva sub for $200 would be great as Geoff suggested. You could get some inexpensive surrounds off cl or ebay. Then as time goes by you can upgrade each component as you see fit.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A photo of your setup and room would be helpful.

What are the speakers sitting on? Are the tweeters ear level to your main listening position? If not, a good pair of speaker stands, maybe $100.

How wide apart are the speakers? If they are far apart enough, a center speaker might be a good idea for your HT usage.

I agree with the previous poster that even a small 8" sub like that Emotiva would be a big upgrade.

Okay here are the photos:

My room situation at the moment is a little odd but I will be moving stuff around to make it work. I pulled a no no and wall mounted the Ascends. Dave and other forumers said this could be forgiven once I get a sub. They also aren’t too far apart. The tweeter level is a bit above my ear level when I sit and just below my ear level when I stand. I listen to music both sitting and standing.

·
Registered
17,890 Posts

My room situation at the moment is a little odd but I will be moving stuff around to make it work. I pulled a no no and wall mounted the Ascends. Dave and other forumers said this could be forgiven once I get a sub. They also aren’t too far apart. The tweeter level is a bit above my ear level when I sit and just below my ear level when I stand. I listen to music both sitting and standing.
Yeah, I'd get a sub ASAP so that you can avoid running the 340s full range since they're so close to the wall and rear ported (are you using port plugs?). No need for a center I think.

Reactions: doni01

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have the same speakers based on Zorba's recommendations and very happy with them. I just can't believe you have them wall mounted :) those suckers are heavy not to mention rear ported but if that works for you, then that's all that matters. I do have mine about 6" off the wall and sitting on the ground tilted up towards ear level. they sound good. Then again my room is more dedicated towards an HT. I was going to recommend another 340 for a center but looking at your room, I do not think you need it...As far as the sub goes, I know a lot of people here are not big fans of Klipsch but if you find one of their higher model ones for cheap I would not hesitate. I am running two R-112sw models and they blend very well with the Ascends. Just some to consider...

Reactions: Zorba922

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'd get a sub ASAP so that you can avoid running the 340s full range since they're so close to the wall and rear ported (are you using port plugs?). No need for a center I think.

I’m pushing insanely hard for the sub, parent are giving me a lot of resistance for some unknown reason. No port plugs here, but it does make me wonder how they will sound when I take them over to a friends house and put them on stands not so close to the wall.

·
Registered
17,890 Posts
I’m pushing insanely hard for the sub, parent are giving me a lot of resistance for some unknown reason. No port plugs here, but it does make me wonder how they will sound when I take them over to a friends house and put them on stands not so close to the wall.
I imagine the mid-bass will get a lot tighter, and generally the sound should really open up. You'll get a similar effect once you get a sub and run them on "small" with a standard 80Hz crossover.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the same speakers based on Zorba's recommendations and very happy with them. I just can't believe you have them wall mounted :) those suckers are heavy not to mention rear ported but if that works for you, then that's all that matters. I do have mine about 6" off the wall and sitting on the ground tilted up towards ear level. they sound good. Then again my room is more dedicated towards an HT. I was going to recommend another 340 for a center but looking at your room, I do not think you need it...As far as the sub goes, I know a lot of people here are not big fans of Klipsch but if you find one of their higher model ones for cheap I would not hesitate. I am running two R-112sw models and they blend very well with the Ascends. Just some to consider...

I just want to say I love your setup. I wish I had a dedicated room for a theater but parents said I have to keep my bed :( who needs a bed? I can just sleep on theater chairs.

As for wall mounting the Ascends, its a bit of a funny story, the one on the left is in a stud. The one on the right has no stud and I used light-medium duty anchors and it started ripping out with even lighter Klipsch KG2.2s. Grabbed some heavy duty anchors and now I can hang on the mount so the Ascends are all good now.

But for the sub, I’m really hoping to do a diy one as I feel like that would give me a whole lot more flexibility and performance per dollar. I know plenty of people experienced in wood working so I should have no problem.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I imagine the mid-bass will get a lot tighter, and generally the sound should really open up. You'll get a similar effect once you get a sub and run them on "small" with a standard 80Hz crossover.

That sounds amazing, can’t wait to do that then. Why is 80hz the standard for running crossovers? I was wondering because it seems like some speakers should be run higher or lower correct?

·
Registered
21,623 Posts
That sounds amazing, can’t wait to do that then. Why is 80hz the standard for running crossovers? I was wondering because it seems like some speakers should be run higher or lower correct?
Human male voice goes down to 85hz so you don't want voices coming out of your sub.

As your parents are giving you a hard time you should buy one of these to see if their "fears" are warranted and if it works out ok, return it to Best Buy and get the Emotive BasX S8 for $50 more.

I have two of these in my secondary room and they are good little subs but the Emotiva is better.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-8-50w-powered-subwoofer-black/5828900.p?skuId=5828900

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Human male voice goes down to 85hz so you don't want voices coming out of your sub.

As your parents are giving you a hard time you should buy one of these to see if their "fears" are warranted and if it works out ok, return it to Best Buy and get the Emotive BasX S8 for $50 more.

I have two of these in my secondary room and they are good little subs but the Emotiva is better.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-8-50w-powered-subwoofer-black/5828900.p?skuId=5828900

Oooooh, very cool, didn’t know that.

So the problem with my parents is that since the Ascends came in two weeks ago they claim that I don’t need any new speakers for the rest of the year. They are also claiming instant gratification which is a little odd considering I will be hand building this sub?

I used to have a Dayton 12” and I really enjoyed it, parents didn’t. Well to be fair, my parents didn’t enjoy it when my music was felt in the living room :)

·
Registered
21,623 Posts
Oooooh, very cool, didn’t know that.

So the problem with my parents is that since the Ascends came in two weeks ago they claim that I don’t need any new speakers for the rest of the year. They are also claiming instant gratification which is a little odd considering I will be hand building this sub?

I used to have a Dayton 12” and I really enjoyed it, parents didn’t. Well to be fair, my parents didn’t enjoy it when my music was felt in the living room :)
Hand building a sub?

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Why is 80hz the standard for running crossovers?
That's about where it is safe to run subs without localization, but localization can very based on the room and the amount of distortion your specific sub has. It is also where THX settled on setting the standard for crossovers a while back, and it kind of stuck. The truth is you probably out to start at 80 Hz and keep bumping up until you can localize, then bump back down a notch. You generally want the subs carrying as much of the load as they can carry without localization.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts

If you're able to move stuff around, you can just get the TP stands designed for those speakers and pull them away from the wall a few inches. If you can set the speakers a little wider, than a center would be a nice addition, though you'd need brackets to keep it off the wall. A sub would certainly be the most beneficial addition to your setup as mentioned repeatedly in this thread. An Emotiva Bas-X 10 would be planty for that room and is not very expensive.
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/access/spkstnds/pedstlcmt340.html

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That's about where it is safe to run subs without localization, but localization can very based on the room and the amount of distortion your specific sub has. It is also where THX settled on setting the standard for crossovers a while back, and it kind of stuck. The truth is you probably out to start at 80 Hz and keep bumping up until you can localize, then bump back down a notch. You generally want the subs carrying as much of the load as they can carry without localization.
Good summary of the situation there @jjackkrash.

And just to add, I did a little experiment when I set up my most recent system a couple years ago with a pair of Dynaudio monitors and a Hsu sub. I wanted to test out a worst-case-scenario. So, I played some moderately loud bass-heavy music. Then I put my precious little head right between the sub and the nearest monitor. I set the crossover in the AVR to 80Hz. I didn't hear any bass coming from the sub. If just sounded "around me" and coming from the monitor. Good. Check.

Then, I moved the crossover to 60Hz. Again, no bass from sub's direction but a little less of the "enveloping" bass I had heard before at 80Hz. Ok. Nice but 80Hz was better with more "impact" and "roomfill." Time to check out the other side of 80Hz!

Next, I moved to a 90Hz crossover point (my AVR moves in 20Hz increments below 80Hz and in 10Hz increments above.) This was a real shocker! I could actually hear bass coming from sub! No way! I had always assumed that 80Hz was just arbitrary, but no, it's not at all. 80Hz was well-chosen by Lucasfilm/THX indeed!!

Granted I was mere feet from the sub and equidistant to the nearest monitor but there it was! At 90Hz I had to really concentrate, but I could clearly hear bass originating from the Hsu. Ok, so back to 80Hz and? Well, no more bass from the sub could be located! Amazing! I tried this again in a smaller room with the same result using a different Emotiva sealed sub and some Ascend monitors.

Of course, 80Hz might not be the best frequency for every AVR/speaker/room combo but it was for mine and it wasn't even close. So I would always recommend using 80Hz to start and then doing your own "head" experiment.

·
Registered
17,890 Posts
If you're able to move stuff around, you can just get the TP stands designed for those speakers and pull them away from the wall a few inches.
Out of curiousity, why do you recommend the TP stands in particular? Wouldn't any normal $100 pair of decent quality metal stands work just as well, like the Monolith stands? I thought the main rationale for the TP stands was to create a "tower look" and, for those with pets or small kids, to have a sandfillable heavy base?

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Out of curiousity, why do you recommend the TP stands in particular? Wouldn't any normal $100 pair of decent quality metal stands work just as well, like the Monolith stands? I thought the main rationale for the TP stands was to create a "tower look" and, for those with pets or small kids, to have a sandfillable heavy base?
The TP stands would look better and as you mentioned would be more difficult to knock over. The OP can certainly get different stands, though those speakers are a little big and heavy for traditional bookshelf stands hence the recommendation for the TP stands.

If I had those speakers on bookshelf stands when I was living with my parents, they would have been knocked over multiple times, especially when I had friends over. I think additional safety for both the OP and the speakers is worth a few extra bucks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts