AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gate1975mlm /forum/post/0

I keep seeing on here people talking about Overscan issues. What is Overscan and why is it such a big problem?

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

Overscan is bad because it clips off part of the picture from the edges, and we want to see the whole picture.

Overscan is good because sometimes the extreme edge of the picture contains "junk" which people complain about if they see it.

-Bill

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have an additional question on this topic.

Isn't true that a digital TV cannot have overscan on a digital channel (such as an HD channel) ?

If that is so, shouldn't HD channels stop using "safe title area" from NTSC, and move that "scoreboard" info all the way to the top of the 1280x720 (or 1920x1080) image ?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Dude /forum/post/0

I have an additional question on this topic.

Isn't true that a digital TV cannot have overscan on a digital channel (such as an HD channel) ?

If that is so, shouldn't HD channels stop using "safe title area" from NTSC, and move that "scoreboard" info all the way to the top of the 1280x720 (or 1920x1080) image ?

No, that is not true. HDTVs are designed to accommodate many different types of input signals analog and digital. They will overscan even on digital channels. Each manufacturer designs their sets with a certain % of overscan (i.e. 3%, 5%). With some sets you may zoom out to compensate, some allow 1:1 pixel mapping, vga inputs, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.