AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I input 1080p from the HTPC to my 1209s, I find several faint vertical lines over the left side of the image. The lines are more obvious in brighter scenes. Is it the raster ringing? There is no problem in 1080i. How can I get rid of these lines?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
If you can "phase" the video to the right you might be able to avoid the ringing section of the raster.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
You spelt it wrong. We'd all like to raster wring right about now.

:)

Try changing cables, or the source, try a different computer. Chances are it's not a problem in the projector.

Curt

·
Registered
391 Posts
phase to the right would be a good idea, as the 1209s isn't build for high scan rate, such as 1080p. Just curious, what vertical refresh rate is it set on ?

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
What do you mean it's not built for high scan rates? It locks to 110 or 135 Khz, just like the Marquees or any other high end set.

Curt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read from the official forum of crystalio, the 'raster ringing' is due to the extreme short retrace time required for this sort of resolution (1080p). Does it mean the 'ringing' is inevitable in 1080p and phase the video to the right is the only solution. Anyone with the same experience in using 1080p? In fact, I've changed all the cables and display card from ATI9600 to Matrox P650.

I think all 9" CRT including 1209s are well coped with 1080p. The vertical refresh rate of 1080p is only 60Hz .

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeky
The vertical refresh rate of 1080p is only 60Hz .
Well, that's a matter of location.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Bump. I have the same problem on my Zenith 1200. Ringing on the left side of the image. Shows up as undulating faint vertical lines in the leftmost 10% of the image.

I really have my image width max'ed out in my raster by reducing my porch settings (HTPC).

I think my best option here is to increase the porch for the left side and shift the image over to the right within the raster, and then shift the raster back left a bit to compensate.

Seems that this is not all that uncommon?

Kal

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Some "ringing" is inevitable. It's caused by the fast retrace needed for 1080P "strumming" the resonant circuit made up of the horizontal deflection yoke cables and the interwinding capacitance of the deflection yoke.

The darker bands are where the electron beam sweep speed increases and the lighter ones where the beam slows.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raster
You rang?
The first actually funny post! :D

Marc

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I had this on one of my PG's as well. I don't recall how I finally got rid of it.

Marc

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
This will always show when you have reduced the back porch too far. That's the reason the back porch is way too wide for most of our PJs - it has to accommodate the worst/cheapest display devices out there.

Our PJs use far higher class and better designed circuitry, so the porches can be safely reduced. I reduce mine until the ringing (as seen in Kal's photo) is JUST discernable on a plain white scene when I am looking for it. It is therefore never seen in real material.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
I had to leave my back porch at around the powerstrip default for a 1280x720 HDTV signal - that is, around 250. This gave the raster enough time to stabilize. Front porch is in the low single digits.

I then shifted the raster over and then used H-phase to shift the image in the other direction.

So now my Horiz raster shift in the 70-80 range and H-phase is in the 20-30 range (instead of both being around 50). Oh well. I guess it'll run a bit hotter...

There other two other options however:

1. NOT maximize my phosphor usage like I do and have large front/back porches such that everything is perfectly centered and H-phase and H raster shift are both around 50. (Not an option).

2. Do #1 but then increase the max width pot (P2 on the SMPS) such that the image area uses a good amount of phosphor width again. The raster would extend off the CRT surface on the left and right sides so blanking should be used.

Hmmm.... I wonder which way is worse for the PJ... increasing horiz deflection or using a lot of raster shift... I'll start a new thread with pictures...

Kal

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Wheeeew, I'm glad someone else with a different brand projector brought this up.

Every time I report a strange problem with my 4600HD, Bruce jumps all over the chance to dump on my little AmPro :p Yes, I have this too.

Chip

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Wow - you're showing some pretty noticable blue/green tube wear across the bottom of that screen Kal. I thought the PJ was virtually new?

Unless, of course, it's an artifact from the digital photo....

But then, you would have mentioned that. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.