AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my TV which is LG 1080P there is a setting called Real Cinema, it is only available when 24HZ content is played. Amazon prime now allows you to match original frame rate so when I watch prime video the firestick switches refresh rate to 24HZ to match the original content. I just wanna know what does Real Cinema do and should it be on or off? Some people think its the same as Tru Motion but its not. Tru Motion makes every thing looks weird like soap opera. Real Cinema doesn't do that so its gottta be something else.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Not really a question about calibration. A quick Google search came up with this:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi,

This is the same as Film Mode on the Samsung displays I believe. You can probably find more details in the LCD Display Panels forum with a search for it.

In the end, its main purpose is to remove judder from the source.

The tv should switch to a 24 fps refresh rate when the mode is on and it will also try and do reverse telecine on 60p/60i sources to undo any 3:2 pull down (telecine) process that was done by something further back up the source chain. Note most lower end displays will only have this type of option available if a 24p source is being sent to it. I'm pretty sure on my Samsung RU7100, this option is grayed out if the display is getting a 60p source. So, as for Amazon Prime 24p movies, that will only work if the source (e.g. the tv's native apps) know what to do with it as well. If a Roku or other device is configured to output 1080/60p then they will more than likely add their own 3:2 pull down before sending it over to the display.

If the setting is turned off then what the tv does depends on what the Tru Motion setting is set to probably. If Tru Motion is off, then if the panel has a native refresh rate of 120 Hz then it will simply take the 24 fps signal and display each frame 5 times. If its 60 Hz then it will do its own 3:2 pull down (creating possible judder). If Tru Motion is on then, in general, it will create new frames by looking at two frames and generating a new one to go in between them (soap opera effect).

cheers,

--tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't understand all the technical stuff. I don't see any difference in picture whether the setting is on or off. The setting in firestick called "Match Original frame rate" when its on, every prime video movies plays at 24hz, when its off all is in 60hz. I have no idea what pull down means and I see the same amount of judder or motion blur in both settings so which one should I choose?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
If you have Real Cinema turned on you would want to turn off all your motion/judder settings. You will likely more easily see the difference with the motion/judder settings turned off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts