AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... after tonight Im a bit pissed off..

I just bought some Polk Audio speakers. Some tower3 0's for $149. I know the price is excellent for what I got. They are brand new in boxes. But Ill admit Im pissed off at all these BOSE haters. Once AGAIN, I listened to the acoustimas 15 next to a bunch of Polk speakers and I feel like Im making the wrong decision....

So everyone says DR BOSE is smart because he "Makes it sound" like they are good speakers. So who gives a crap if speakers look good on a meter if they dont sound good? maybe BOSE speakers look awful on a meter, but isnt what sounds good what is important?

I have been a musician for over 10 years now playing to live crowds. I have played to crowds of over 15,000 people at once.

Those people listened to my music on a spiritual level. They didnt give a crap what a computer told them what was good. They care what they feel in their ears and in their souls.

So tell me, if BOSE speakers are so over-priced, why does everone who own them love them? Not you! I mean everyone who listens because uit touches them on a different level.

It is more than advertising. I listened tonight to both a $8000 system with some funky a** setup I cant even pronounce and a Acoustimass 15 system.

The $8000 setup was very nice. The speakers looked like they were from Star Trek and it would go very nice in some rich guy's house. But it was not a $7000 difference between the BOSE setup. Not even close.

The differences were MINUTE.

And I feel stupid for buying the POLK speakers just because everyone here said they are better than BOSE.

I believe most music and sound heard is in the heart and soul. It cant be defined with a meter or software.

I think people in these forums need to look on a different level. Money and looks and the best isnt everything.

Some of the best never go anywhere because they dont appeal to the mass....

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you like Bose, then buy Bose. No one's stopping you. It's a free country. Don't let anyone on any forum sway your decision. And don't be hypocritical and start bashing other people for what they like/buy.

My personal opinion is that Bose sound okay (with some caveats that I'm sure others can elaborate on). Many casual HT listeners, and maybe even some casual music listeners will find them perfectly acceptable and even grow to love them. However, I would never buy them because first of all, they are way overpriced; and second, because they color the source material and are anything but accurate. As a musician, I would think you'd be more interested in listening to speakers which can accurately reproduce a recording the way it was originally mixed and intended to sound.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I havent bashed a single person for what they like. I believe personal opinions is extremely inportant. What I am frustrated with, is that everyone keeps bashing a system which sounds so good to so may people.

A have a pai of EVENT speakers which produce the most perfect sound in the Worls. Theyh cost me $2000 a pari and I use them in my recording studio. But alot of msuci sounds lick crap on them. Thats because alot of music is recorded crappy and the musicians werent that great in the first place.

But part of the wonder of the recording industry is to make music and musicians sound better than they really are.

Wouldnt this be the same for all the sound systems we listen to them too?

Have you ever heard the unmixed and unmastered version of Mariah Carey, or how about a Star Wars movie without all the sound effects?

I have...

They suck, in my opinion.

So wouldnt that be the same for stereo equipment.

Do we want the most accurate sound, or the best we can hear?

maybe it all comes down to personal opinion, but I personally I want to hear what sounds best. Do you HONESTLY think music sounds as good as it is recorded? No way!

trust me!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Aztechjohn, many many people buy Bose because that is the only speaker company they have ever heard of. Most people buy them because they advertise so much you can't get away from it. Also, to be quite honest, many people have never heard good speakers, and thus have no basis for comparison with respect to Bose and their missing octaves of sound. (am products have 46Hz-13.6KHz freq response, IIRC with a swing of +/-10.5dB) No highs, no lows, must be Bose. :D

Me, I dislike Bose because their prices are out of line with their performance. If they charged about 1/3 to 1/2 of what they do, I'd recommend them to many people on a budget. For the money, you can do much better, IMHO. My $200 computer speaker setup (Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000) has nearly identical sound to the acoustimass products, yet the acoustimass are 3x-7x more expensive. I expect cheap parts in cheap speakers (like my Cambridge speakers), but when you charge mid-fi prices on speakers, dammit, they better have mid-fi or better build quality.

Having said all this, even though I don't ever recommend Bose (unless you absolutely must have tiny speakers), I still say go listen and choose what sounds best, since you have to live with the speakers.

Sorny

·
Registered
167 Posts
John, in my opinion i think polk audio isn't up to par as some here might say and as for BOSE i think they are doing a great job created a mass of believers but you should have gone out on your own and listen and listen and listen and listen and listen and listen to the most speakers that you can find and critique...i saw your other thread, i would have probably suggested those brands too but if you listened to the polks and the bose why didn't you buy the bose if you liked it so much? isn't it your money that you are spending, we suggested what you should listen too and you know there are tons of systems out there that i TRUELY say are better then bose that are at a fraction of the price and i guess you need to either buy the bose and be happy or return those polks, adventure back out there and audition some more because it seems as though you haven't listened to too many systems....i don't think you have a right to come in here and tell us this because it was your decision to take this advice and i also think that some of us jumped to the conclusion to say that "bose sucks, go with something" while not hearing John out and giving him a thoroughly thoughtful suggestion upon how he should approach this "problem?"

All in ALL, John, take my advice here!, listen and listen and listen and listen and listen and listen, bring them home to listen in your home setting and decide on what your ears tell you...

Khoa Tran:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just for the record, it is ME who I am frustrated with for making a purchase based on other peoples opinions, not my own...

These forums are great. I just see people making BOSE jokes and bashing things like that. It makes me feel like an idiot if I go out an buy BOSE.

As a paid member of this site, it bums me out.

I am here to learn so I can form my own opinions, but it makes it hard to discern who is real and who is full of BS.

·
Registered
251 Posts
"As a paid member of this site, it bums me out."

Paid member? I never paid anything. Is there some kind of fee? What is going on here?

aztechjohn,

you are correct that recording studios perform alterations to signals in order to make them sound better. That is part of the process of creating their art, which is a recording. But I don't think that should be the job of a pair of speakers. Why? Because if the speakers alter the signal at their input, to produce some sound at their output that is "better," is it possible to make this alteration optimal for all inputs. Basically, if Bose sits in their lab tweaking away at their speakers until they sound perfect, even if the result is a wretched frequency response, great. But if that testing was performed with a certain piece of music, does the sound stay perfect when the music is changed?

Better to leave all of the mixing, filtering, mastering, etc. in the studio. But I certainly agree that "a lot of music is recorded crappy."

Tim

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I paid a subscription fee here, via Paypal.

I couldnt view the classifieds section if I didnt.

I have no problem supporting a site like this though. I think it is well needed :)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I said it in your other thread. I will say it here.

umm not for anything but why BUY the polks if you do not like the sound? :confused: Screw what everyone says. It is YOU that has to live with those speakers. If you want BOSE. BUY THEM!!! Or do you also jump off bridges when someone tells you to do that too? :confused: Forget all these people here and make YOUR OWN DECISION!!! :p

·
Registered
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aztechjohn

A have a pai of EVENT speakers which produce the most perfect sound in the Worls.
That's a bold statement, John. I've directly compared the Events, Mackies, Alesis,and Genelec powered monitors. All sound good are very capable in their own right. However, I wouldn't say that any speaker produces "perfect" sound. One of these did sound clearly better to my ears, and it wasn't the Events.

Quote:
But part of the wonder of the recording industry is to make music and musicians sound better than they really are.
I agree one-hundred percent. But that's the job of the recording/mixing engineers, the producer, and mastering engineer. There's even plenty of recording/mixing equipment to help "clean up" or "cover up" bad tracks. Any "enhancement" to the recording should be done during the "creation" of the material. The job of the playback system is to simply "reproduce" the material as it was created, no matter how good, bad, or ugly it is. I don't want my playback system to f*** up a well recorded/produced recording.

Quote:
Do you HONESTLY think music sounds as good as it is recorded? No way!
It depends on the musicians and the recording. Sometimes it sounds worse, sometimes better. The only blanket statement anyone can make is that recorded music never sounds the same as the live performance - (even if it's Memorex).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was exaggerating with the EVENT statement.

I just think they give a great representation of what the original sound is.

They also are great for the price. But that has nothing to do with this so...

Anyways,

Im going to try out the Polks and see how it feels after a week or 2.

The best thing I can think of for buying from a store like CC, etc is that you can return things if you dont like them.

I just really want to get a good (not great) setup and go from there. I realise with a limited budget you can only do so much.

Im sure Ill look back some day and laugh at some of the choices I made.

Once I have some real money to spend on a setup, this will become very fun, hopefully. :)

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL!!!

Very true. Jeez, how else could Madonna have ever made it? Much less many other "market-research" bands.

I've never thought Madonna could sing worth a damn (but it's nice to see that she's used some of those millions to work on her voice at least). I will give Madonna this- she's a friggin' marketing genius.

·
Registered
248 Posts
aztechjohn click on this link and read, and you might realize the problem with BOSE

me

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My friend owns a recording studio and has a couple of gold records on his wall. He is also a well known drummer who has been in a few very well known bands.

He took on a project for a major label about 6 years ago. A few guys. I heard their demo and it was awful. He re-recorded all their material. He LITERALLY had to manually tune every single track because these guys were so out of pitch. He also used Antares AUTOTUNE to tune it again once he was done.

Before the tuning, they were AWFUL, I MEAN really BAD!

After he cleaned up the vocals and mastered the CD, they went on to sell over 500,000 CD's. Not the biggest sales ever, but it shows how rediculious the industry is.

They are a known band now and have went on to record a couple more albums wort and are living it large. Maybe they have had vocal instruction since then, but at the time there was no way they could have sang live and get away with it. They has to be lip synching shows.

This is not much worse than the MILLY VANILLI fiasco. Actually, at least SOMEONE really could sing on their CD's, even though it wasnt them!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HIB, I have read all the negatives about BOSE. All I know is they sound good to ME!

I have auditioned a bunch of speakers now and know what an expensive setup sounds like. I can definately tell the difference in certain setups.

But I will never agree BOSE sucks. I actually think they are a great speaker. I can find a refurbished (good as new) set for $450 - $600 and think they are well worth it. Not the 600's but the Acoustimass setup.

Either way, I kinda dont care how they are made or how they fake out our ear to sound good. I still think they sound good. With both music and cinema.

I have chosen to NOT go with BOSE because I will want to upgrade later anyways. If I go with BOSE, I pretty much throw everything out and start over. If I go with something like POLK, Infinity or HTD, I can keep some of the components and just upgrade the rest. Also, I have chosen to start just with front speakers and a good receiver and then keep adding.

BUT, I will never put down BOSE because they sound good to ME :)

If I were buying something for my bedroom or looking for a Theater in a box setup, I would probably go with the BOSE.

BTW, I had more than one person write to me privately and tell me they feel dumb saying they like BOSE in these forums because they get slammed for it.

I would have to say that kinda sucks. I dont think that is what these forums were made for...

BTW, that last article has been posted several times. Thanks...

I appreciate anyone here who has given honest opinionated advice on these threads. It has helped me look at the bigger picture.

But to those who slam a certain manufacturer and have "fun" at it, I feel it really does not help these forums at all. BTW, Im certainly not saying anyone that has anything neg to say about aq mnufacturer is playing this game. :)

Its all cool to me, I just had to bring this up when I got a few private messages of supporters and those who were bummed out by these threads and others .

·
Registered
248 Posts
see thats the whole thing though, if you like it buy it.:D

I, along with some other folks out there don't agree with the price tag of a BOSE system.

did you read the review though? its very insightful

·
Registered
248 Posts
BOSE is the audio industry's Phillip Morris and RJ Reynolds. LOL

I think the backlash exists because of their BS advertising claims and their Demo rooms that contain probably $100k worth of sound processing equipment, amps and probably a small nuclear power plant to power those suckers!!!! :)

And the worst part of it is that they make the average guy think that he can reproduce those effects in his living room with a acoustimass 15 system.

To this day i have friends who "can't wait" to put a BOSE system in their homes, because BOSE is all they have heard about. I yell at them and they come to their senses. :)

" got a few private messages of supporters and those who were bummed out by these threads and others .

"

Oh my GOD! there exists a underground BOSE support group which we must find and DESTROY muhhahahhahahahhaha!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I auditioned Bose about 15yrs ago a local dealer, they sounded great at

the store. So I bought them, hooked everything up...and it sounded

nothing like it did at the store and was very disappointed.

In frustration I went to a high-end dealer, told them what I did, the

salesperson showed me various speakers that were also great sounding,

but I was apprehensive to buy more speakers that would sound lousy in

my home. They let take a setup home that was in my price range(had to

leave my drivers license) to listen to next to the Bose. To say the least I

took back the Bose and kept the Phase Techs...which I'm still using today

as my mains!

I will never judge a speaker the way it sounds in the store again.

Keith

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Aztechjohn,

It takes a while for speakers to break in.

Comparing new speakers of any used speaker isn't a realistic comparison.

As you said, live with them a few weeks and then decide. You might even want to play them while you are away at work in order to get some hours on them. Then if you still prefer your Bose, return the Polks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.