AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at two tv's....both are tosh 42"..

model 530 with 60hz refresh rate and model 540 with 120hz rate..

I dont have a clue as to what these numbers represent and how they factor in to picture quality and viewing pleasure.

can someone please define in layman's terms what the differences are?

how important (or unimportant) is 60hz v/s 120??

is it worth paying more money for a 120hz set??

I watch tv for pleasure, maybe will plug my computer in and use tv as monitor..but am not a video gamer...

thanks for all replies!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Films are shot at 24 frames per second. When displayed on a 60Hz set, the display does a 3:2 pulldown to display film correctly with less judder. On the 540, 5:5 pulldown is used for a more accurate representation of the film.

Also, with a refresh rate of 120Hz brings in a new world of optional frame doubling motion compensation, called frame interpolation where the display analyzes and creates extra frames between each frame to make motion more fluid. Lots of people feel like 120Hz motion processing looks unnatural, however, The Toshiba 540/550 is the only display I've seen that pulls this off well when viewing content shot on film.

Without a doubt I'd have to recommend the 540 over the 530. You will surely enjoy the 120Hz benefit on the 42XV540U.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResOGlas /forum/post/14270776

Films are shot at 24 frames per second. When displayed on a 60Hz set, the display does a 3:2 pulldown to display film correctly with less judder. On the 540, 5:5 pulldown is used for a more accurate representation of the film.

Also, with a refresh rate of 120Hz brings in a new world of optional frame doubling motion compensation, called frame interpolation where the display analyzes and creates extra frames between each frame to make motion more fluid. Lots of people feel like 120Hz motion processing looks unnatural, however, The Toshiba 540/550 is the only display I've seen that pulls this off well when viewing content shot on film.

Without a doubt I'd have to recommend the 540 over the 530. You will surely enjoy the 120Hz benefit on the 42XV540U.

thanks res.....i have to go look and compare in the store now and see if i can

see the diff...

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrustee /forum/post/14271355

thanks res.....i have to go look and compare in the store now and see if i can

see the diff...

Be sure to go into the options on the 540 and make sure ClearFreame is set to on, and set the film mode to smooth.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResOGlas /forum/post/14272601

Be sure to go into the options on the 540 and make sure ClearFreame is set to on, and set the film mode to smooth.

thanks...i will do this...once i check this out i will add my findings on the tv....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts