AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Replay and was thinking about purchasing another unit for a family member for christmas. Unfortunately, it's a little expensive for me to purchase the unit with the service. So here is my question.

If I purchased a unit without the service what features would i be missing and what features would i be able to use. Can I still send shows from this unit to friends?

Thanks!

Russ

·
Registered
3 Posts
If its one of the newer models (4XXX or 5XXX) it will work for 1 to 10 days, then it becomes a doorstop without the service.

·
Registered
43 Posts
don't count on it operating for 10 days, from other posts I have read it is about 1-3 days before it is unusable. I am planning on getting one for my parents, but am making sure to include the website they will need to visit to activate the unit;-)

·
Registered
582 Posts
There are other uses for the RPTV without service:

1) Paper Weight

2) Bacon Press

3) Get 2 and you can have matched Book Ends

4) You can pull the Hard drive and have a really expensive HD for your PC

Moral of the story ... get the service even if it is on a month to month basis.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by russellwray
If I purchased a unit without the service
It's called "activation" not "service". To use a unit as a ReplayTV activation is required. Without activation the box won't function. What's so difficult about this concept?

-Gary

·
Registered
478 Posts
Okay, it's Thanksgiving, I've had a few, so I'm in a good mood.

Why in God's name is this STILL being discussed???

Hey Mr. Bott, if you read this, could we maybe put a sticky on the top of the forum about the activation? This would save the patience of quite a few people around here, and maybe keep the new folk that haven't bothered to do a search or read a couple of days worth of posts from getting flamed & discouraged with the forum.

Oh, wait. We've already got one of those !!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ethical_paul
but doesn't do a damn thing unless you pay another $250 or $10/month.
You've got it! It looks like you finally understand! :)

-Gary

·
Registered
478 Posts
Quote:
Service or Activation? Well, SB calls it "Service Activation" so don't wham on people for calling it "Service".

And why is it still being discussed? Because it's damn counter-intuitive for people to buy something that seems so like a VCR but doesn't do a damn thing unless you pay another $250 or $10/month. Don't we all wish it could do stuff without the guide? I don't think the fault is with the people who have trouble with this, I think the fault is with SB for setting it up this way.
I don't know about counter-intuitive, but what's counter productive is this discussion. I'm sorry, all these discussions.

It says, on a BIG RED STICKER on the box that you've got to pay for it or it won't work.

It says it on the price tag at Circuit City for that matter.

Or on SB's website.

Or in the FAQ.

This is not a hard thing to understand. If you don't like it, take it back and buy a tivo. Then let everyone that whines about the damned activation fee for tivos go over there and do it.

There are half a dozen threads, at least, in which this has been discussed at great lengths. I haven't heard an original opinion in weeks and weeks. Whether your opinion is original however, doesn't matter anyway.

SB chose to do things this way so that they could stay competitive. I don't think they're going to be changing anything anytime soon, so either like it, or don't like it. But I seriously wish you would all shut up about it.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nineball
don't count on it operating for 10 days, from other posts I have read it is about 1-3 days before it is unusable. I am planning on getting one for my parents, but am making sure to include the website they will need to visit to activate the unit;-)
"Here you go, mom and dad! (Oh yeah, you now have to pay a never-ending monthly fee of $10, or a $250 one-time fee, to actually use this gift for more than a few days). Hope you like it!"

:)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Replay had no choice but to split the cost of the units...

Their #1 competitor Tivo had been doing it for a while. The idiots in the press and retail kept quoting the first half of the price and leaving out the second, making the Tivo *seem* much cheaper.

Replay probably tried to educate them, but then gave up and turned to the same model.

They had no choice.

Robert

·
Registered
752 Posts
Quote:
Service or Activation? Well, SB calls it "Service Activation" so don't wham on people for calling it "Service".

And why is it still being discussed? Because it's damn counter-intuitive for people to buy something that seems so like a VCR but doesn't do a damn thing unless you pay another $250 or $10/month. Don't we all wish it could do stuff without the guide? I don't think the fault is with the people who have trouble with this, I think the fault is with SB for setting it up this way.
Paul, After reading your same complaints about wanting to use this as a vcr without the guide, It finally dawned on me what SBLU should do for people who want this!

Simple, very simple. They need to offer a totally different unit.

A Replay(the same) without the guide requirement and just charge you

the actual cost they need to make a profit without the activation fee.

So when you buy a replay, you have a choice!

$249 + $250 activation= $499 for current version or

$500 for standalone vcr model, no act. req. and can be used as a digital vcr!

Perfect, then all this nonsense can end and people will be happy again.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
"Here you go, mom and dad! (Oh yeah, you now have to pay a never-ending monthly fee of $10, or a $250 one-time fee, to actually use this gift for more than a few days). Hope you like it!"

:)
Well, it would be like giving them a new car, that you only paid the the down payment on, LOL.

Same thing.

After all, last year it would have cost you $799 to buy mom and dad a PVR.

So why do you think now you can get away with only paying $249 for the same gift?

Buy it, and pay the activation, then give it to them!

:D

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyNYC
So when you buy a replay, you have a choice!

$249 + $250 activation= $499 for current version or

$500 for standalone vcr model, no act. req. and can be used as a digital vcr!

Perfect, then all this nonsense can end and people will be happy again.

:D :D :D
Perfect! and SB need do nothing to achieve this. Buy the $249 unit, pay the $250 fee, pocket the $1, and now you're the proud owner of digital vcr with the added bonus of free guide data for the life of the unit! ;)

It's as clear as mud

but it covers the ground,

and the confusion

makes me head go 'round.....

·
Registered
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Reden
Replay had no choise but to split the cost of the units...

Their #1 competitor Tivo had been doing it for a while. The idiots in the press and retail kept quoting the first half of the price and leaving out the second, making the Tivo *seem* much cheaper.

Replay probably tried to educate them, but then gave up and turned to the same model.

They had no choice.

Robert
Robert,

I've written this expalination a thousand times on this forum.

Does anyone do a search when they are new, NO!

So you have more patience than me.

But you are right. SBLU gave up trying to educate the masses that 1+1=2.

They just kept thinking tivo was half price because the activation came later. So SBLU gave up and went with the tivo pricing model.

Now all us loyal Replay users have to suffer defending this to new Replay buyers!

It's no wonder SBLU couldn't get them to understand! Look at what we need to deal with on here constantly explaining pricing structures over and over!

Shhhesh, will it ever end?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
On a constructive note, perhaps they SHOUD allow customers who are trying to present a gift to their parents to pay $500 (or whatever it is) up front so that the gift can be given without strings. That or make it possible to activate the unit without opening the box.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It seems several of the replies come from posters that are "tired" of the ad naseum discussion of the "service", "activation" or whatever it's being called. Although many of you have valid points, you also take the opportunity to slam people for not using features like search etc.

When a forum user posts a topic like "What is Replay like without service?" it would be very simple for those of you who are "tired" of this sore subject to skip the thread and move on with your lives. Please don't feel the need to post or for that matter even read these topics if they annoy you. For the rest of us who may be interested we can continue the discussions of this topic until the moderators decide otherwise. Until then, save the nasty comments and the condescending attitudes and move on to another thread. Free speech works both ways but for those who having nothing productive to add to the discussion why not just move on?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by salsbst
On a constructive note, perhaps they SHOUD allow customers who are trying to present a gift to their parents to pay $500 (or whatever it is) up front so that the gift can be given without strings. That or make it possible to activate the unit without opening the box.
I thought it was possible to purchase the $250 activation when the Replay is purchased. You still need to go to the website to activate it, but all you need to do is enter the certificate number.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
I have never not understood the idea of the service activation...
I've never not understood why people drive around with bumper stickers proclaiming:
  • "Dont Hate Me"
  • "I brake for contentious contrarian cranks"
  • "My Parents went to Reynoldsburg and all I got was this lousy TiVo"

(and some used Comfortrel® performance polyester micro-thongs from eBay)
"Money is truthful. If a man speaks of his honour, make him pay cash." ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.