AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What exactly is it? DAC is Digital to Analog Converter right? But does it benefit already digital sources? I know computers decently but get lost on audio equipment. Basically I want to know if it would benefit console games or blu-ray movies.

Long story short, bought a VSX-1124 open-box from Best Buy for very cheap ($270 (didn't have a remote)) and it works fine EXCEPT it doesn't recognize any microphone plugged into, so I can calibrate it all.

I basically have till Monday to return it, and pay the difference if I want a new one. OR my boss offered to sell me his VSX-824 to me for $150, and it was hard to tell comparing them online. But the only difference to me for MY needs seemed to be the Sabre DAC (which I'm not sure if it improves digital or just analog sound) and the subwoofer calirbation that the MCACC does only on the 1124. Other than that I'll never have 7 speakers or a 2nd sub (room constraints) and it's more than enough HDMI connections.

So I'm curious if the 1124, for what I use it for (console games, blu-rays, and streaming TV shows) sounds any better than just a 824.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,954 Posts
SABRE is one brand of DAC, made by ESS Technology, with numerous consumer applications such as Blu-ray players, audio pre-amplifiers, A/V receivers, etc. DACs convert digital audio to analog audio. So if you send digital audio from your BluRay player or gaming console to your AVR, the AVR's DAC will convert it to analog audio (necessary so you get audio out of your speakers). If you have good speakers, you may be able to hear a difference between 2 different AVRs, depending on the DAC used as well as the implementation of the DAC. Certainly if you use your TV's speakers, you won't hear a difference. And in all likelihood, you won't hear any difference between those 2 models in any case.

Reactions: Dizman7

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SABRE is one brand of DAC, made by ESS Technology, with numerous consumer applications such as Blu-ray players, audio pre-amplifiers, A/V receivers, etc. DACs convert digital audio to analog audio. So if you send digital audio from your BluRay player or gaming console to your AVR, the AVR's DAC will convert it to analog audio (necessary so you get audio out of your speakers). If you have good speakers, you may be able to hear a difference between 2 different AVRs, depending on the DAC used as well as the implementation of the DAC. Certainly if you use your TV's speakers, you won't hear a difference. And in all likelihood, you won't hear any difference between those 2 models in any case.
Thanks, that was helpful. I do have 5.1 speakers, though they aren't anything fancy, Klipsch entry level (C-1, B-2s, S-2s, Sub-12). I'm gonna see if I can borrow that 824 to test it out and see how it sounds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.