AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a newbie and every post mentions gain. I can't quite figure out what is meant by the term. Its not in the glossary and searching on "gain" isn't too useful. Can anyone help me out. Im going to start building a parkland screen soon.

-paul

·
Registered
25,025 Posts
Paul,

Gain is a term describing how much light is reflected back to the viewing position relative to that which a standard white screen would reflect( 1.0 gain). A better, but seldom used , term would be directionality. The screen doesn't make more light but gain screens concentrate more toward the center at the expense of the off axis viewing. E.g. 1.5 gain will give 50% more reflected light at the center viewing position, 1.8 80% more etc.

Art

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Also keep in mind there are two types of screens.

Reflective:

Like a mirror, light gets reflected away from the source. You want this type for when the FP is ceiling mounted.

Retro-Reflective:

Unlike a mirror light is reflected back twards the light source. This is best for floor mounted setups. Glass bead screens are one of the few sources of retro reflective screens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hì.

I have a ceiling mounted Epson EMP70 (700ANSI) projektor.

What kind of screen and how much gain should i go for. What type of reflection is best for my setup. Sitting about 3 meters from the screen. Using a HTPC.

Why do some use gray or gray/reflective screen.

Thank`s... Totally new to this stuff

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
No, black level detail has much more to do with your PJ rather than the screen. Unless it's a matter of very low ft/lm then a higher gain screen can make a diffrence.

lumens, contrast ratng, screen size, and gain would be necessary to figure it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.