AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was updating my notes on measurement, and it occurred to me: What is "small"? T/S parameters are small signal. If you have tried the measurements, you know even fs changes a lot from "small" to "large" signals. WT2 has a default drive output that falls under "small". But is small for a 4 inch full range the same as for an 18 inch sub? How small is too small, how large is no longer small? Is their some guide line like one one-hundreth of the Pe rating? Maybe .6W for a mid but that would be several watts for a sub. I can imagine trade-offs between noise floor and mass/compliance.

I have not run across anything in Bullock, D'Apolitto, White, or even Small's AES papers that I can remember. Some grad student looking for a project?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek /forum/post/17010471

I was updating my notes on measurement, and it occurred to me: What is "small"? T/S parameters are small signal. If you have tried the measurements, you know even fs changes a lot from "small" to "large" signals. WT2 has a default drive output that falls under "small". But is small for a 4 inch full range the same as for an 18 inch sub? How small is too small, how large is no longer small? Is their some guide line like one one-hundreth of the Pe rating? Maybe .6W for a mid but that would be several watts for a sub. I can imagine trade-offs between noise floor and mass/compliance.

I have not run across anything in Bullock, D'Apolitto, White, or even Small's AES papers that I can remember. Some grad student looking for a project?

i think you should test at actual level system will be played. technically speaking they wouldn't be TS parameters but at least they would have something to do with real world.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.