AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The topic says it all. Also, im noticed yellows with slight reds around the edges on some of my viewing material. I cant understand what would be causing this. This usually happens anytime there is sunlight on the screen or light emitted from a lamp.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I think solarization is when the transitions between adjacent pixels is not as gradual or as smooth as it should be. It seems to create lines of demarcation between "waves" of pixels. It can be greatly diminished by reducing sharpness as much as you can.

I have eyeballed the pixels up close while adjusting sharpness from full up to full down, and increasing sharpness tends to created harsher demarcations among adjacent pixels (due to an increase in high frequency material, whatever that means). Take a look at skin and try it(after you get your pants back on). Lowering sharpness really makes the picture look smooth. When you stand back it looks much more real to me than the OFF/ON look of high sharpness.

Sharpness just seems to create differences between the pixels that really shouldn't exist. I have read that it really is creating false information electronically, rather than showing true detail in the picture. If you closely examine the difference from the appropriate viewing distance you will see that this is right.

High sharpness seems to aggravate any screendoor you might have greatly. It seems to make the lines between pixels really stick out. I think this is the "false detail" which you really don't want.

Have I wandered too far afield?

------------------

Joe

"Well, it didn't look like a two-horse town, but try finding a decent hair jelly."

[This message has been edited by JHouse (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Registered
159 Posts
A good way to see posterization is to change your display properties on you computer to say 16 colors and then look at a true color jpeg. The color gradients become very obvious.

------------------

Through man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world...

- Saint Arnoldus

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.