AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the 215 pounds weight, as truck drivers used to lift cargo of as much as 170 pounds; UPS has a weight limit of 150 pounds. These monster 70 inch RPTV must weigh a few pounds, so what *exactly* is stopping them from making the best HDTV that money can buy Direct View? Not that I would give up my trusty F-38. I have a minimum age 80~25 years from now.

I am 55 if I am 75, I will still have enough money to buy one big beautiful set.

With what I am watching on my RCA F-38310

I would want a bigger set than I have. Running the fan 24/7/365 and all other electrical devices (like Refrig) is costing me $27.90 a month in electricity compared to 27.83 for the month before new outer space tax 7¢.

I pay double for 2 phone lines than running the HDTV from 8AM to 2AM last night, mostly it's on from 8AM to 1AM so to all members and lurkers, you can see it won't *break* you in electrical costs. 2 phone lines are necessary because we have a electronic front door UPS, Fed-ex don't have keys they must ring us for us to let them in; we can't rely on webtv(failed too many times) for call waiting.

O/T what pisses me off is that I can only get 28.8 KPS from our stinking Verizon fiber optic phone lines, I have a ISP, but extra slow Verizon connects to ISP. In the movie Hackers in 1995 they were getting 28.8 now soon to be 8 years later I am still stuck at the same lousy connecting speed, cheap webtv will not sell us a device to get DSL. My biggest gripe besides no javascript or Adobe Acrobat.

I would love to get a webtv plus mod for DSL without their knowledge PM me with URL or DIY for faster speed, I'll pay a finder fee. Since it *fills* the F-38 screen on stretched full, why buy a computer that has to be upgraded to stay modern.:)

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Larger tubes would have a fail rate far too high to justify making. Implosions could be dangerous and the sheer size of the suckers (depth, not width) would make them impossible to use in most homes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Does misconvergence or other edge to center variations become more problematic as tube size increases? I would think that size issues would be exacerbated in a widescreen.

hob -- you don't get more speed than Hackers did in 1995 because the phone lines and upstream telephone equipment you're using hasn't been changed since then. Technological improvements come slowly to massive infrastructures. The phone company will invest in better equipment for your home just as soon as the economics make sense -- which may be never, since you're unlikely to pay a lot more per month for anything they could give you.

::

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Internet seems to be best on cable when a good system is available. Compared with 28.8 I get around 500..Also, I believe, direct tube sets have just about reached their limits; just too big and too heavy. The way to go in future is with lighter and smaller in total size displays. there are several competing displays..including plasma and LCD..that will be popular for next 10-15 years intil something better happens along, of course. As of right now, I believe the direct view at under $2000 is the way to go for HD-WS. But I also believe this is the last direct view 'big' set I will buy. Going for a 50 inch flat screen type next time.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Consumer acceptance, size, cost and emerging technologies are stopping the manufacturers from making direct view screens bigger than 38 inches. Not too many people want a table top set weighing over 200 pounds. Just think what a bigger one would weigh. DLP is about to hit with a bang. A lot of people want something that will hang on a wall giving plasma a boost. Big CRTs are dinosaurs on the verge of extinction.

OT you noted that you have fibre optic phone lines and are unhappy with the speed you can achieve with a modem over them. Unfortunately, this appears to be a fact of life with them, at least if they use voice over ethernet. OTOH the fibre coming into my house also lets me have a separate ethernet connection. My current download speed is 7711 Mbps, upload 9216 Mbps. That is over 150 times as fast as a 56K modem. Isn't this an option for you?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I bet a 100" CRT would take up an entire bedroom.

I'm too stuck with dialup and I connect at about 49.2 and 50.6. Planning on upgranding to V.92 and see if that improves my speed. I have 3, well 2 now 'cause brother's PC went *blip*, all hooked up to a little server I built with Win2k PRO on a P 133. Yeah, it does take about 6 hours to boot, but hey, it works. The speed on this internet sharing thing is ok, but, when somebody's gotta download going, everybody in the house on a computer is gonna be pretty pissed off. LOL I hope CenturyTel is able to give us DSL service out here. They told me my town was listed, but, we're probably too far away from the main branch. Well, this is off topic, so, I'll shut up.

I certainly wouldn't want a CRT bigger than 40 inches. The bigger they are, the more fragile they can get. Plus, a Rear Projection CRT HDTV is actually cheaper, if you think about it. If you want bigger than 40 inches, just go with REAR Projection, plasma, or LCD.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Atomic Buffalo
Does misconvergence or other edge to center variations become more problematic as tube size increases? I would think that size issues would be exacerbated in a widescreen.

hob -- you don't get more speed than Hackers did in 1995 because the phone lines and upstream telephone equipment you're using hasn't been changed since then. Technological improvements come slowly to massive infrastructures. The phone company will invest in better equipment for your home just as soon as the economics make sense -- which may be never, since you're unlikely to pay a lot more per month for anything they could give you.

Buf, I live in 3 years old new building with Verizon Fibre optic cable laid in ground about 2 years ago. Using a Dell computer or WebTV I couldn't get any faster than 28.8 for Saturday 12/7/02!

If the cable was old I don't think they would have buried it along with the electric cable. There are NO telephone poles for over 2 miles away from where I live. There are housing developments, but it's all underground.

Here's the catch 22 if you go for their premium (Verizon) they use the same cable (they can't get out any faster) to get you 20 times the speed your getting now, I call that out and out lieing by Verizon to get all customers on their premium 1000 kps equipment on the exact same cable BS.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, when you pay for voice bandwidth, you get voice bandwidth. High speed modem signals are fatter than actual voices and take more bandwidth to carry when they're digitized.

You're in a brand-new place with fiber-optic? Ironically, it's probably the newness of your connection that keeps you from getting more out of your modem. I bet your signal gets digitized/multiplexed not far upstream.

I know you don't see it this way, but you're getting what you pay for. You're going to have to get out your wallet. DSL and cable modem Internet is really a much better value than dialup anyway.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The biggest CRT sets take two strong guys to move it. Any bigger and they would need 3 or more guys and probably couldn't fit it thru a standard doorway due to depth. Plasmas take over at 40" or higher now for direct view, the prices will only come down in the future. A 50" widescreen plasma set weighs less than many 27" CRT sets!

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try telling that to WebTV, I have for years, no way their newest is just like the one for sale in 1999. I was on the line with them they most of their subscribers could't afford DSL.

If there wasn't so much deceit from bad appled computer hackers, I could have a 3.06 GHz easy, but WebTV with microsoft having the biggest firewall is the reason I haven't bought a second computer. My sister and her husband both lost their jobs in 2000, I bought a Dell mom asked if I could lend them my 800 MHz esperion with pentium 3 and 128mb of SDRAM, then mom said you have the money let them keep it it would be good for the kids.

Back to the webtv I had then I think it was the melisa virus hit and all scurried to defend themselves. Now they have the I love you, klez, trojans, worms, screw it I'll keep the webby it fills my screen on full on my F-38 while being line doubled.

I just keep buying discs I got 4 players, 3 of them progressive scan, 1 interlaced

Sony CX-860 300 + 1.

Buf if you find a 'mod' for my webtv plus unit to do DSL PM me, I got the bread to get hooked in with a 2 way cable, what is needed is a ethernet card. Gee I wish I could do a neato switcheroo on a DSL modem from 56kps modem, I would be sailing with Microfsoft and their big fire wall protecting my a**, from all the nasties at 1,000kps woo hoo.:)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
This thread is silly.

First of all, the 40" Sony is larger than 38" diagonally. It weighs a ton. It can barely be moved by two strong people (as noted above). It's as deep as the Marianas Trench and as heavy as Everest. I'm sure implosion risk and manufacturing cost and the like are all relevant, but sheer size is out of hand on big tubes. The future is flat (plasma, LCD, OLED). You can already buy 42" plasma inches for a price similar to the Sony 40" tube and

Second of all, you can afford some hopped up WebTV mod? Then buy a damned $300 PC from WalMart and plug in a $5 Ethernet card and be done with it.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hope that clarifies the thread for you wheeler.

Bufalo the reason I am not on a computer is most of the stuff I buy is on the net. I reading a lot of horror stories about how many have been ripped of for credit card indentification. I have a da*n good credit rating from paying on time from age 18, that's 37 years, older than a lot of AVS members are.

Since I am disabled I have to buy a lot of stuff on vendors on the internet, If I were on computer, I would be afraid of hackers getting my personal information then ruining my life long credit history.

As for L.C.D. I have had a number of L.C.D. devices parts fade and become useless, so I don't trust Liquid Crystal Display. Also the Lamp only has 1,000 hours, you know I put my HDTV form 8AM to 1AM that's 13 hours a day into 1,000= 76 days per expensive lamp plus service call to install the new lamp.

I read a lot of manufacturers pages and equipment reviews, which when it comes time; I want to know exactly what to buy for my last HDTV at age 75.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hob

Since I am disabled I have to buy a lot of stuff on vendors on the internet, If I were on computer, I would be afraid of hackers getting my personal information then ruining my life long credit history.
You have the same chance of getting your credit card info stolen on your web TV as you would on a computer. You are still inputting the data into the same website.

Whatever makes you happy, though...

·
Registered
37 Posts
You guys do realize that one day, after these flat panels take over the world...direct view sets will probably take over a very niche market for those who still love the look...sorta like how some ppl still swear by vacuum tube amplifiers...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hob...In your first post on this thread you blame your ancestors for your temper...Have you ever developed any form of self-control/determination? All the duck can say is AFLAC AFLAC AFLAC!

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Look Paul if you can't say something nice please don't post to my threads, put me onto your ignore list.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.