AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the room size of 12' X 12' , what would be the advantages and disadvantages of building such a small dedicated HT?

Let's assume that I only need one row of viewing seats and that this room is originally a small upstair bedroom without a bathroom and a regular bedroom window.

Can you tell me if I am correct in these advantages?

Advantages:

1. Lower cost

2. Better sound proof since you don't have to turn on the sound too loud in a small room. I am not sure if sound proofing would require another layer of wall around all 4 current walls, ceiling and floor. Again, the cost of acoustic design would cost less because of the smaller room size. My main concern of the HT room is sound proofing since my wife's hearing is equivalent to the deer's.

3. A big screen size, relatively speaking, without a screen door effect, and a great picture quality. Again, I would get one of the best screen currently available.

Can you tell me if I am correct in these disadvantages?

Disadvantages:

1. Not many row of seats

2. Not look as good as a bigger HT room

3. Heat issues. Air ventillation is a problem for the equipments. How do I set up my AV equipment rack? Building an equipment stand or storage space would take up more space and make the room smaller.

I am sure I am missing a lot of things. Please advise. Thanks.

How much would it cost to remodel this size bedroom into a dedicated HT room with good sound proofing and good acoustic? I am just talking about the room only with finished electic wiring, sound panels, lighting, painting, av wiring. The cost would not include any furniture or any AV equipment, but just the bare room only. I know that the pricing varies greatly but I would just like a rough estimate. Would it be $5,000, $10,000, $15,000, or $20,000. My budget for the room only is $10,000 - $15,000.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Acoustics becomes more of a problem the smaller the room gets. Also, a square room has it's own acoustic problems to begin with.

For the estimate, are you talking about doing it yourself or having a contractor do it?

CJ

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO /forum/post/16988898

Acoustics becomes more of a problem the smaller the room gets. Also, a square room has it's own acoustic problems to begin with.

Wouldn't a smaller room require lower volume level since you will be sitting closer to the speakers?

Quote:
For the estimate, are you talking about doing it yourself or having a contractor do it?

CJ

I will be hiring a contractor, and very likely the one that specializes in AV/home theater company.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancomycin /forum/post/16988663

2. Better sound proof since you don't have to turn on the sound too loud in a small room. I am not sure if sound proofing would require another layer of wall around all 4 current walls, ceiling and floor.

Incorrect. While it may take fewer amps (energy) to get the sound level to a certain dB when compared with a larger space, the volume is the same. You don't inherently listen to a movie at a louder volume in a bigger space.

Also, your budget and cost will be based on what you are willing to pay for. Having a contractor do sound proofing (DD/GG, RSIC clips, etc), acoustics (fabric walls, treatments, bass traps, all of the calculations and testing), system integration could easily run 20k at least. It's one reason why most of us are will to do the work oursleves and perhaps just hire a designer to map out the overall plan.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/16989620

Incorrect. While it may take fewer amps (energy) to get the sound level to a certain dB when compared with a larger space, the volume is the same. You don't inherently listen to a movie at a louder volume in a bigger space.

Also, your budget and cost will be based on what you are willing to pay for. Having a contractor do sound proofing (DD/GG, RSIC clips, etc), acoustics (fabric walls, treatments, bass traps, all of the calculations and testing), system integration could easily run 20k at least. It's one reason why most of us are will to do the work oursleves and perhaps just hire a designer to map out the overall plan.

Wow, over $20,000 for just a small room without any speakers/screens/audio-video equipment is mucho dinero. I guess I have to reconsider my plan.

I thought that a smaller room would have some advantages of cutting down on the cost in terms of labor and materials.

But then again, if I want to play, then I have to pay. I don't mind speding the cash but I have to find an optimal point as to not be wasteful.

A forum such as avsforum.com should provide me with the knowledge to make good decisions on creating a good dedicated HT with a good price.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do the room yourself. You will save ungodly amounts of money that can be put into equipment, soundproofing, seating, etc, etc. Spend some time researching on the forum and in no time you will be an expert like me. (ha, ha)

Your room size lends itself to building inexpensively if you DIY.

As a side note, I am buying all of my equipment on eBay saving huge amounts of money. I just bought a $6000 set of Definitive Technology In-wall speakers for $2400 that are brand spanking new. That's the kind of deals you can find there. (I probably just killed this thread for naming prices, what a stupid rule).

Let us know what you decide to do, we are all willing to help in any way we can.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Infinite Loop /forum/post/16989784

Do the room yourself. You will save ungodly amounts of money that can be put into equipment, soundproofing, seating, etc, etc. Spend some time researching on the forum and in no time you will be an expert like me. (ha, ha)

Your room size lends itself to building inexpensively if you DIY.

As a side note, I am buying all of my equipment on eBay saving huge amounts of money. I just bought a $6000 set of Definitive Technology In-wall speakers for $2400 that are brand spanking new. That's the kind of deals you can find there. (I probably just killed this thread for naming prices, what a stupid rule).

Let us know what you decide to do, we are all willing to help in any way we can.

I have been lurking in this forum for a long time and have been learning a lot. Also, everytime I browse through the forum and seeing the many DIY theaters that look so amazing that I just want to jump up and do it myself. The many building threads that I see have good progressive photos of the build that look fairly do-able but reality hits and I realized that I don't have any carpenter skills. I don't even have an electric saw. YIKES.

The problem is: Time is money so with my lack of skills, it will take me a long time to build a dedicated HT and I would probably not do it right. That time span (of trying to do the build) could be used to work hard and and earn the money to hire someone to do it right.

I guess it is all relative.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Infinite Loop /forum/post/16989784

Yes, it is true that I can try to save a lot by searching around on the internet for good speakers/screens/audio-video equipments and that is the reason why I want to know the approximate cost of just building a room without any equipments. I cannot buy a HT room on ebay so that make it harder to decide whether to do it myself or hire a professional.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Yeah, do it yourself...It's not that hard if you have the time. I started from scratch in my basement a few weeks ago and I'm 80% there already...I have never done this kind of work before, but was fortunate enough to get 2 months off this summer...The kind of build you are talking about can be done relatively cheap if you do it yourself....I am a newby to a dedicated theater, but will gladly give you any help from what I have gleaned so far...Check out my thread over here...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1167607

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancomycin /forum/post/16989838

The problem is: Time is money so with my lack of skills, it will take me a long time to build a dedicated HT and I would probably not do it right. That time span (of trying to do the build) could be used to work hard and and earn the money to hire someone to do it right.

I guess it is all relative.

Split the difference - pick parts where you can add value and DIY them. Other parts, hire away. For example:

- if you are not in a place to spend the months necessary to learn the basics of a quality build, hire Dennis or Terry or BPape or a few others to do the design. Depending on the level of service, you could wind up with advice or plans honed with knowledge to help you. Then you can direct non AV contractors (with some challenges) who won't command a specialty trade rate.

- I can't wrangle the time to do the general build. I will however do all of the LV wiring (& Conduit), trim, DIY acoustic treatments, and many HT specific items like building a DIY screen. A few other things will depend on my time available (e.g. insulation).

etc, etc.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
It all really depends on what you want out of it and what kind of money you want to put into it. Sure, you can easily go several thousand dollars, but at the same time you can opt to do things differently, make compromises and still be happy while spending only a few thousand.

My space is roughly 14 by 16, but the back end is open...however, I was able to pull off putting together something I am completely happy with and it suits my needs just plenty....I did all of my work and had some equipement but managed to spend around 3k (I had my receiver and speakers already), but would have only spent 2-3k more had I needed a new receiver and speakers.

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
One thing that is important (as kezug has alluded to) is to keep some perspective. That $20K figure represents going all out on your 12x12 theater space. Nothing wrong with that, but at the same time, no one is saying that you *have* to go that far. You will tend to get a lot of folk here that will offer suggestions based on what is important to them, with little understanding about what is important to you, and a lot of the people lean towards the going all out direction around here.

On the other end of the spectrum, the bare minimum you have to do to turn an existing bedroom into a dedicated home theater is to put a TV and a chair in the room and then not use that room for anything other than watching the TV. Vola, a theater room that is dedicated to the act of watching the tube.

Now there is a broad range in between the two extremes and only you can decide how far you want to (or your budget will allow you to) go.

I would suggest you start by asking yourself what you really want the room to do for you. Do you want great sound inside the room or are you ok with just good sound? Do you want to keep the sound from propagating throughout the rest of the house, or do you not really care? Realistically, do you usually listen to movies at reference level? How picky are you about video quality? Can you hear a lot of noise coming into the room from the outside world, and does this bother you? Etc. Get these priorities understood and clearly documented in a post, then the helpful people here can give you a lot better advice on what the damage will be to your pocket book.

-Suntan

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
mine is 12' x 15' only, and I spent roughly $16-18k included everything!

as other said, it all depends on what you want to do and what you are willing to do by yourself. equipment wise, I don't see one could save a lot due to the available space. yes, you might be able to get a smaller/cheaper sub since you don't have as much of the space to fill, but speakers aren't the same story tho. if you want to sound proof with double dry wall, sound panel, then yes, you'll save a bit due to less wall/panel to cover. but all those walls & panels are still cost you more when you buying retail rather then DIY!

at the end, smaller space might cost less when compare to larger space, but it still mainly depends on what you want to do tho! I won't be surprise if one can spend $50+k in a regular bedroom size HT! (full sound panel cover the whole wall, star light ceiling, custom design, etc.)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim /forum/post/16989957

Split the difference - pick parts where you can add value and DIY them. Other parts, hire away. For example:

- if you are not in a place to spend the months necessary to learn the basics of a quality build, hire Dennis or Terry or BPape or a few others to do the design. Depending on the level of service, you could wind up with advice or plans honed with knowledge to help you. Then you can direct non AV contractors (with some challenges) who won't command a specialty trade rate.

etc, etc.

+1

You say you have been lurking so you know what should be done right. Also if you hire a local guy you can up-front split up the schedule. You can say do this part - take 3 days / 5 days off etc. Take pictures, post them here and get good input. That way if you miss something people will chime in and give advice.

Just make sure that you agree on a Hourly rate for changes, go get the material yourself (why pay him for something you can do easily)

Local HT stores etc can be great or horrible.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ten grand to convert a bedroom into a theater, not including the equipment, sounds like a whopping sum of money to me. I understand your argument of "time is money" but I suppose it comes down to what you enjoy doing. Myself, I LIKE the building, designing, tweaking, creating. That's the joy of the home theater to me.

As for the sound "volume"....you WILL be turning it up. Trust us on this one. That first big explosion....you're going to rewind and crank up the volume. This begs the question, what is the environment surrounding your would-be theater? Do you have close neighbors? A child napping? The wife's bookclub meeting? If these things aren't an issue then spend more thought on accoustical treatment rather than sound proofing.

Now if you're the type of person that has to have the latest/greatest/cutting edge technology then plan on spending a bit there. The theme of my home theater, and it's in my thread, is garage-sale-pawn-shop-use-the-internet-to-repair type of equipment. Check it out:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1170011

It doesn't take a lot of fancy tools to make things happen. Most home centers sell 2x4s precut to different lengths, all you need is a hammer and some nails. For drywall all you need is a sharp utility knife and couple of mudding knives. Mudding takes a little practice but you'de be surprised what flat paint can hide.

I'm assuming since it's a bedroom it already has sufficient wiring. Home centers sell stick-on tracking for hiding the a/v lines, etc and it can be painted to match the surface it's stuck to.

I guess it depends on how much you enjoy your work-job. Time is money, that's true but will your HT have a deadline? I'm hoping mine is never truly finished or I'll have to find another hobby :)

-Mac

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Understand that there are many "normal" items, like area rugs, heavy curtain fabric, thick sofas, and the like that help absorb sound going to other rooms. Sometimes a heavier, sound suppressing door could be just enough to make the room from becoming a acoustical nuisance to the other people in the house.

And these were things you were going to buy anyways when accesorizing the room.

Victor

1 - 17 of 17 Posts