AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded my hard drive to 120gb and recorded movies, when my UTV is full I realize that I recorded about 20-22 hrs total . I assuming that I didn't install the hard drive correctly so I reformat it again by swapping out old drive and my new 120gb drive and let it format until it shut off . Last night I recorded 'Spy Games' 2hr 23 min and the history shows 10% full of recording space. Is it about right for 120gb hard drive or am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to fix it to use all the spaces in the hard drive?

Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'll have to count up the actual hours, but I seem to have around 96 things recorded before it starts reusing space. The majority of those shows are regular 30 minute sitcoms/etc., but I also have 12 movies recorded from premium movie channels. I guarantee that I get way more than 25 hours though, as I remember counting up at least 80 hours at one point.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It should tell you an approximate amount in one of the system information screens. I had seen elsewhere that it should say ~105 hours, and that is close to what several have gotten.

Keith

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, Thanks for the tips I check and it shows record up to 35 hr in System Info. This is 120gb hard drive, is there a way to fix it? I tried HD Format code (Menu-Option 3 times and 2355) but nothing happens.

·
Registered
592 Posts
From your descriptions, it appears that UTV really thinks this drive only has about 40GB. Only a few possibilities come to mind:

a) Did you use this drive in a PC before installing it into UTV? Maybe you partitioned it there (or maybe it came pre-partitioned)? If so, then maybe instead of paritioning the drive (low-level format), UTV just wiped the existing partition (high-level format) and reloaded software. [I'm skeptical that this is the case, because everything I've heard leads me to think that UTV does more than just wipe an existing partition -- but your symptoms cause me to wonder.]

b) The other possibility is that during the format by UTV it found a lot of bad sectors and locked them out. Thereby reducing your 120GB drive to only ~40GB of usable space.

c) Your UTV has not yet downloaded v3.5 software. Before the latest version, all drives reported only 35 hours available ... even though they still recorded much more.

I hate to be the one to recommend this, but it sounds like you are gonna have to put another drive in the UTV ... let it load software ... noobize the current drive to unlock it ... plug it into a PC to view the setup ... and then reinstall it in the UTV (once you find the source of the problem). That's a big pain -- but you absolutely should see "variable, up to 105 hours" as the available space with a 120GB drive AND if you are running v3.5. -TJ

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got my 120gb straight from the Bestbuy when they have a special $150 rebate (retail $299). I put it in the UTV without config any thing from PC.

When I insert in the IRD, it formatted with version 3.5.

I don't know what to say since everything seems normal, I may need to reformat it again by swap out old hard drive.

Thanks

·
Registered
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spirit
OK, Thanks for the tips I check and it shows record up to 35 hr in System Info. This is 120gb hard drive, is there a way to fix it? I tried HD Format code (Menu-Option 3 times and 2355) but nothing happens.

That won't change... it's only a text info help file.... there is no hour usage information other than a percentage of usage in the history info page/screen... if I recall.

Update:

I have been corrected it should indicate approximate size... ;)

Guess I missed that along the way... oh well!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm sorry, but that's bad info. The 3.5 software is 'smart' in the way it displays recording space on the info screen. They did this in order to accommodate bigger drives, like the one in the new RCA unit.

Keith

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spirit
I got my 120gb straight from the Bestbuy when they have a special $150 rebate (retail $299). I put it in the UTV without config any thing from PC.

When I insert in the IRD, it formatted with version 3.5.

I don't know what to say since everything seems normal, I may need to reformat it again by swap out old hard drive.

Thanks
Actually, it sounds to me like you have a 40G drive -- I've actually received a mislabelled Seagate drive -- all packaging said 18gb, but the drive was actually 40gb.

You didn't mention what drive you purchased, but if you're using a model that hasn't been tested, it's possible that UTV isn't recognizing it as a 120GB.

Either way, you could probably take the drive back to BB for an exchange.

Doug.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Check your jumper settings on the drive and make sure it's set for master (or single).

-- John

·
Registered
524 Posts
Put your UTV in standby then do press menus/options then 411 then turn your UTV on. You should see the part-number of the drive installed.. go from there..hope this helps more than my other post... :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for 411 tips

Tthe Technical Information:

Client 3.5 ver 27766

Boot version 2545

Storage WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1

Memory 32MB

Systems Information shows:

Recording Variable up to 35 hours

Current Upgrade Factory Installed Ver 27766

I have two jumpers look like this ::II: to make hard drive as single since default setting ::I:: (master) doesn't work (error problems with device when boot up). Today I swapped out with old hard disk so that I can swap it back to force format again but there is no different that I can see. I just hate to put another drive and get samething but I think that is an option that I have to do.

Thank you for all advices and tips.....I will let you know what I find out...

·
Registered
22 Posts
AHA! You want to remove all jumpers from the drive! The label should describe this as "Single or Master". The configuration you describe ::II: puts the drive in a special 32MB mode. This makes the drive operate as a 32MB drive for use in systems whose BIOS does not support drives larger than 32MB.

PJA

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was playing with jumpers and changed it to the correct setting of single drive and that was it. Changed jumper to ::_: (single drive) fix the problem. I also formatted using Menu-Option 3 times and 23552355 and it shows "Variable, up to 105 hours" now (the format option works this time). I don't know if it's necessary to format the drive or not but I did it anyway since there is nothing but a test record anyway.

Big THANKS to everyone, 'talking' out lound and listen to all suggestion sure helps me a lot. Now I need to go back to record my shows......

·
Registered
261 Posts
When you say the master setting did not work for you, what exactly do you mean? Did you have any jumpers on there in 'master' or no jumpers?

Keith

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ah, you see, that won't work. What you did by bridging those lower pins, was probably just bridging grounds, the same as completely removing the jumper. Removing the jumper was specified in the faq on the upgrade.

Keith

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.