AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Depends on design goals and alignment platform you plan to pursue, also depends on how many total drivers ... as often there's scenarios whereby multiple drivers totalling $999 is more prudent ... if you have the space

·
Registered
5,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1520418/what-is-the-baddest-ass-subwoofer-driver-for-a-diy-project/0_80#post_24425178

Opinions ?

Requirements: Each driver must be street priced under $999.99 each.

Baddest Ass Driver? LOL.

You've been starting a few of these threads lately. Bored?

No offense, but these threads are pretty pointless. It can be argued 50 ways from Sunday.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
If by help you mean ruining my appetite; then yes.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Here are my favorites in no particular order.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
I don't recall seeing the second from the bottom before?

·
Registered
5,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1520418/what-is-the-baddest-ass-subwoofer-driver-for-a-diy-project/0_80#post_24425470

It's the Cadence DCX34W. It's 34" and weights 227lbs lol. I believe Audiobahn also produced a 34" driver as well.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11  /t/1520418/what-is-the-baddest-ass-subwoofer-driver-for-a-diy-project/0_80#post_24425447

lol...............

Great finds................and I can't even give a thumbs up!!!!

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
^^^ PERFECT! LOL

·
Registered
4,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1520418/what-is-the-baddest-ass-subwoofer-driver-for-a-diy-project#post_24425470

Yeah, it's often displayed with the engine hoist.

The big drivers is nothing new.

Mitsubishi has dabbled in large diameter LF drivers, as has EV, with the old 30W Patrician

Mits Diatone D-160, 160cm below;

Below, here's a D-80, 80cm (between a pair of the legendary Kinoshitas, w/dual 15"s);

While we're at it, I'd include this from Funk, only because the machine work looks so cool ...

Below, the aforementioned EV 30Ws employed in a baffle wall;

Yeah, the above is all for fun. But badass or not, there's so many ways to hit the $999 mark, and yield a badass result.

For example, a short time ago, many enthusiasts picked up AE's 15" IB driver. These were offered for quite some time at the incredible price of $400 for a set of four! Eight of those, in a well executed and true infinite baffle alignment, could offer phenomenal experience any reasonably sized room.

Place that level of capability and performance up against a single driver for the same expenditure ...

Currently, there's some decent quality car audio woofers that one could employ similarly, I believe it's an Infinity or Alpine branded piece ... as stated above, there's just an infinite number of ways to approach this, unless the choices are narrowed somewhat.

I forgot the big MTX one off;

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1520418/what-is-the-baddest-ass-subwoofer-driver-for-a-diy-project#post_24425178

Opinions ?

Requirements: Each driver must be street priced under $999.99 each.

You helped me a lot with my media server setup so here's some payback

LMS Ultra

Sundown ZV4 with X spider pack (working on getting better deets for the spider pack that will equal the HST)

FI SP4

Mach 5 UXL

Top four not in order.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
FOH> Yeah, it's often displayed with the engine hoist. The big drivers is nothing new.

Mitsubishi has dabbled in large diameter LF drivers, as has EV, with the old 30W Patrician

Mits Diatone D-160, 160cm below;.... Below, here's a D-80, 80cm (between a pair of the legendary Kinoshitas, w/dual 15"s);..... Yeah, the above is all for fun. But badass or not, there's so many ways to hit the $999 mark, and yield a badass result.

For example, a short time ago, many enthusiasts picked up AE's 15" IB driver. These were offered for quite some time at the incredible price of $400 for a set of four! Eight of those, in a well executed and true infinite baffle alignment, could offer phenomenal experience any reasonably sized room.

Place that level of capability and performance up against a single driver for the same expenditure ...

Currently, there's some decent quality car audio woofers that one could employ similarly, I believe it's an Infinity or Alpine branded piece ... as stated above, there's just an infinite number of ways to approach this, unless the choices are narrowed somewhat.

I forgot the big MTX one off;

Another good reminder that there's many ways to go about our hobby and none of us has a corner on good LFE or the Ultimate when it comes to our systems.

·
Registered
315 Posts
you guys forgot Funky Pup... Like the name says, these puppies slam !!

1 funky pup 8" can hit 194 db'z off of .00003 watts

but you'll need a flux cap

·
Registered
822 Posts
Now that the sub nuts are here, let me derail the OP with a related question:

Cost no object, what is technologically the best HT subwoofer currently in production?

·
Registered
10,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Gomez  /t/1520418/what-is-the-baddest-ass-subwoofer-driver-for-a-diy-project/0_100#post_24426824

Now that the sub nuts are here, let me derail the OP with a related question:

Cost no object, what is technologically the best HT subwoofer currently in production?

Probably the LMS 5400 ultra. The UXL 18s are good too. RE XXX 18s, though not as efficient.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts