AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy an 16x9 wide screen LCD TV for the bedroom,17-23 inch screen size , ed or hd capable most viewing will be direct TV , who has the best set out right now, looking for picture quality , day-lite viewing and inputs,have seen the Philip's 17hd at CC and picture was impressive,hopefully you guys can save me some footwork,or shall i wait a while for some new models to come out.,thanks in advance

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the 17 inch Phillips and use it exclusively for watching DVDs while running on a treadmill. As you observed it has an excellent image.

At first I thought I was going to need a separate sound system because the sound output from its speakers seemed to get drowned out by the treadmill and foot fall noise. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I didn't have the volume cranked up very far. I've made a note to myself to wear my glasses the next time I try to set up a TV. It turns out that the volume level is sufficient for this purpose. I may invest in wireless head gear anyway so that I am sure not to make enough noise to annoy my adjoining neighbors.

This TV has lots of inputs, including a VGA but excluding DVI/HDCP/whatever.

I really didn't do much comparison shopping before I got this. I compared it to a bunch of Sharp, Sony and Samsung models which happened to be hanging together on a display wall at Circuit City. My lady and I liked the picture on the Phillips the best, despite an annoying s-pattern it was displaying on its screen. I assumed that this was due to a lousy feed, and my experience with the set at home appears to bear me out on that.

Good luck in finding a suitable set.

Ernie

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you happened to also need a computer right now, you can get a great deal at Dell. You can pick up a fully loaded computer with DVD burner and the 23" LCD TV for a little over $1800 after rebate and coupon. I get all of my rebates I ever send in for.

They have a $200 off coupon that expires today [Jan 30, 2004]. You can get it at http://TheGeekNextDoor.com

Bryan

·
Registered
684 Posts
If you are willing to go up to 26", you should check out the Toshiba 26" lcd tv. I have seen this at a couple of different Best Buy stores. To my eye, it has the best picture quality of any lcd set, followed closely by the Toshiba 32".

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm happy with my 22-inch Panasonic TC-22lh1 LCD TV, do a forum search on TC-22LH1 and you'll see a few reviews on it, with lots of comments.

Sean

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so far for the responses ,keep them coming, will start looking , the Dell 17 looks tempting for the price, dont know about the 23,[big jump in price] but i feel i need an 19-23 in order to avoid eye strain,use to viewing a 27 in the bedroom and 65 rptv in family room..

·
Registered
212 Posts
forgive my stupidity, but the Polaroid on the compusa site lists the resolution as 1280 x 1024 WXGA resolution. Every other 17" widescreen lcd I look at lists 1280x768. Is that a typo, and if not what difference would it make?

·
Registered
566 Posts
My vote would go to the Sharp 22"...very good PQ and DVDs look pretty good on it at 480p.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I second umr comments about the Polaroid 17". I also looked at a lot of LCD TV's lately. The Polaroid really impressed me.

happystick, Polaroid also sells a 20" 4:3 that is 1280x1024. The 17" WS is 1280x768.

The Zenith L23W36 was also impressive, very good response time. I found, while the Toshiba 26" initially looked sharp, it suffers from excessive EE.

The JVC LT-26WX84 and Sony KLV23HR2 also looked nice. I wish I could see the Panasonic TC-22LH1 somewhere.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I was able to compare the Sony KLV23HR2 and the Panasonic TC22LH1 side by side at a nearby Circuit City (the Samsung 226W was in the same display). Of these three, the Panasonic looked best--brightest colors and best blacks, the Sony next and the Samsung next. All looked quite good.

I also compared the same Sony and Samsung models at Harvey Electronics, and the Sony looked best. Memory can be deceptive, but the Sony at Harvey Electronics looked like it had been calibrated better tnat the one at Circuit City, and my memory said that it was indistinguishable from the Panasonic.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
You're sure it was a KLV23HR2 and not an HR1 ... Circuit City doesn't list the HR2 on their website at this time, but does list the HR1. When I did the side by side picture quality I liked, in order, the Panasonic, the Samsung, and the Sony HR1. The Sony is also way more money.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I might be biast but one of the best looking LCD's I've seen in the 23" from Gateway... it's $1499 usually and it's a really impressive unit... one of the better looking TV's we sell...

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
In the specified size range:

At the 17" end I would pick the Samsung LTN-1785W

At the 23" end I would pick the Panasonc TC-22LH1 (22" but close enough)

Choosing between the two, the Panasonic.

The forum contains some recent discussion concerning the Panasonic (a lot by me, including a review).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well after all was done and said i ended up buying the dellw1700 played with the settings and am very impressed with the pq,will hook up sammy hd stb this weekend,great tv for a great price. the honey bear loves it also,so i guess i cant go wrong.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.