AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have it narrowed down to the Sony 36HS420, it seems to have what I want it to have and has a sweet picture.

I am thinking about heading out to Best Buy or Circuit city tomorrow and picking one up but before I do I just wanted to see if there was anything else out there that would offer a much better experience in a 4:3 HDTV in the 36†category.

Anyone have anything to say before I go out to the store and buy one?

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJezo
I have it narrowed down to the Sony 36HS420, it seems to have what I want it to have and has a sweet picture.

I am thinking about heading out to Best Buy or Circuit city tomorrow and picking one up but before I do I just wanted to see if there was anything else out there that would offer a much better experience in a 4:3 HDTV in the 36†category.

As far as i know, Sony is the only remaining manufacturer making 36" HDTVs - the 36HS420 and 36XS955. Toshiba, JVC, and now Panasonic have all discontinued their 36" HDTVs, and soon Sony will be discontinuing both of theirs. This is the end of 36" HDTVs so if you want one, better snag one before they're all gone.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Remember that the 36HS420 is NOT in fact an HD TV, but is an HD TV Monitor. This means it has no HD tuner, so you will need a settop box to actually get HD content.

I have the 32HS240 and love it. Though, I do wish I had the HD Tuner since my ABC isn't available in HD from my cable provider at this time.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJezo

LordJezo,

I don't know where you are located, but there is a local store called Rex Audio Video and Appliance(type that name on Google and you will get their website), and they still sell alot of the older(2 years or more) 36" HDTV monitors.

Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Mitsubishi, etc... are available, at least at my local ones, brand new in box.

I always liked the Panny 36HL43(or the 36HL44 which is newer by one year, and has HDMI instead DVI like on the 36HL43) for these reasons:

1. The Panny 36HL43 has a great picture IMHO for a HDTV monitor, comparable to the Sony HS420 line(and the 500/510 line of the past). SD/analog/and HD all look really good(especially after proper calibration with a DVD like Avia or DVE)

2. The HL43 is feature rich:

Some letdowns are that the unit ONLY accepts a 1080i HD picture and a 480i/p source as well. NO 720P HD sources, period. Won't even convert a 720p image to the native resolution of the screen which is 1080i/ or 480p. This is a major problem for some, especially gamers(PS2/Xbox) since alot of games are in 720p HD. This would not be a problem with an HD box, since you can output the box at 1080i and 480p. Even sources like FOX and ABC(which broadcast HD images at 720p) would be outputted by the box at 1080i/or 480p. This would be at your discretion, of course.

Another Rub, and this deals with Rex, is that they sell there product at full price. No discounts, ot anything of the like. They sell tv's that are 2 years or older at the MSRP they were at when they first hit the market, even though there is better and newer stuff available(except 36" tv's of course. Other than the 36XS955 IMHO). No talking them down to a lower price, which kind of stinks. The products are new, and in box, so I guess thee is a trade off. Try anyway. Maybe you will get more lucky than I ever did.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE
Another Rub, and this deals with Rex, is that they sell there product at full price. No discounts, ot anything of the like. They sell tv's that are 2 years or older at the MSRP they were at when they first hit the market, even though there is better and newer stuff available(except 36" tv's of course.
Which is probably why they still have 2-year-old inventory :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE
LordJezo,

I don't know where you are located, but there is a local store called Rex Audio Video and Appliance(type that name on Google and you will get their website), and they still sell alot of the older(2 years or more) 36" HDTV monitors.

Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Mitsubishi, etc... are available, at least at my local ones, brand new in box.

I always liked the Panny 36HL43(or the 36HL44 which is newer by one year, and has HDMI instead DVI like on the 36HL43) for these reasons:

1. The Panny 36HL43 has a great picture IMHO for a HDTV monitor, comparable to the Sony HS420 line(and the 500/510 line of the past). SD/analog/and HD all look really good(especially after proper calibration with a DVD like Avia or DVE)

2. The HL43 is feature rich:

Some letdowns are that the unit ONLY accepts a 1080i HD picture and a 480i/p source as well. NO 720P HD sources, period. Won't even convert a 720p image to the native resolution of the screen which is 1080i/ or 480p. This is a major problem for some, especially gamers(PS2/Xbox) since alot of games are in 720p HD. This would not be a problem with an HD box, since you can output the box at 1080i and 480p. Even sources like FOX and ABC(which broadcast HD images at 720p) would be outputted by the box at 1080i/or 480p. This would be at your discretion, of course.

Another Rub, and this deals with Rex, is that they sell there product at full price. No discounts, ot anything of the like. They sell tv's that are 2 years or older at the MSRP they were at when they first hit the market, even though there is better and newer stuff available(except 36" tv's of course. Other than the 36XS955 IMHO). No talking them down to a lower price, which kind of stinks. The products are new, and in box, so I guess thee is a trade off. Try anyway. Maybe you will get more lucky than I ever did.
I TRIED to deal with Rex myself, for the SAME TV!

Panasonic 36HL43! THEY DON`T SHIP! YOU HAVE TO PICK UP THE TV, AND THEY WANT FULL LIST PRICE! DON`T WASTE YOU TIME ON THEM! :mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.