AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy the best lcd on the market at least 55". I is the Samsung 950? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
according to www.cnet.com review, and others, the sony 55xbr8 is the best LCD now in production, only bested, marginally, in their eyes, by two plasma's.

·
Registered
485 Posts
That would be the XBR8 - that is if you are looking for last year model, and specifically for picture quality. If you consider the fact that (1) it's a pig that weights a ton and is almost 7 inches thick, (2) that lacks features that many newly released models have like 240Hz and Internet features (Netflix streaming etc) and (3) it's priced at $6.5K presently, almost double it's close competition - I would say this is one seriously underperforming TV (just my opinion)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlown /forum/post/15542878

I am looking to buy the best lcd on the market at least 55". I is the Samsung 950? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You might possibly want to wait a couple of months... the 2009 models are on the way.

It's possible that one of them will either outperform the current 'best' LCDs (A950, XBR8), or equal them for less money.

Also, are you 100% dead-set against plasma? 'Cuz many find the Pioneer Kuros borderline amazing.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
The xbr8 is the best looking big lcd on the planet... The 60" pioneer elite beats it hands-down and costs less, and mind you "costs less" is something you normally don't hear in the same sentence as "pioneer elite".

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Two questions come to mind : what is your budget and how soon do you plan on purchasing it ?

As pointed out, right now the Sony XRB8 is the "king of the hill" as far as LCD performance is concerned, althought, according to test reports it has the usual poor viewing angle like all LCDs; i have read of a recommendation that it is fine as long as you are sitting on a three-person couch 8' to 10' away from the screen but that anyone sitting farther to the sides will notice an obvious increase in black level and loss of color saturation, a problem that does not affect plasma displays...

Otherwise, if you want to save lots of money and still get a very large LCD HDTV with what would be considered state-of-the-art performance 1 1/2 years ago, check out pricing for the Sharp LC-65D64U at Amazon, which was less than $3.000 w/free shipping just last week !

If you are willing to wait until July, how about the upcoming Vizio 55" LCD model, with LED backlighting and a m.s.r.p. of only $2.000 ?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenC /forum/post/15545698

Don't forget the Sharp 65XS1.

In order after allot of looking at the same thing.

Sharp XS-1 at 65", Hi end, High Price

Sony XBR8 at 55", Hi end, Mid to High Price

Samsung 950, Mid range, Mid Range Price.

IMO once you have seen a properly set up XBR8 you would not even compare it to the Samsung. The Sharp is simply stunning, but so is the price, but it is the best LCD out there so far, if you can even find a store that has one (I had to go to Japan to see one).

Also if you are spending the money anyhow, look at an Elite Plasma from Pio, also great sets if they fit your need.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Wow, TNG. You must live at Blackhawk to afford a trip to Japan just to look at a TV. Awesome. Are they shipping your XS1 directly from Japan?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I cant justify spending that amount of money on the aquos when you can get the 60" pioneer elite for half the price! But if money is no object....

·
Registered
4,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG /forum/post/15551502

In order after allot of looking at the same thing.

Sharp XS-1 at 65", Hi end, High Price

Sony XBR8 at 55", Hi end, Mid to High Price

Samsung 950, Mid range, Mid Range Price.

IMO once you have seen a properly set up XBR8 you would not even compare it to the Samsung. The Sharp is simply stunning, but so is the price, but it is the best LCD out there so far, if you can even find a store that has one (I had to go to Japan to see one).

Also if you are spending the money anyhow, look at an Elite Plasma from Pio, also great sets if they fit your need.

A 55A950 Samsung is High end at mid range price. Stop drinking the Sony kool aid. They are both great sets. I've seen them both calibrated properly and the Sony isn't leaps and bounds better then the Samsung and certainly not worth the price difference.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr /forum/post/15552601

A 55A950 Samsung is High end at mid range price. Stop drinking the Sony kool aid. They are both great sets. I've seen them both calibrated properly and the Sony isn't leaps and bounds better then the Samsung and certainly not worth the price difference.

Agreed. The XBR8 is a shade better in a lot of areas, but it hardly embarasses the Samsung.

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
Expensive but 55XBR8 is the way! I have not seen new SHARP 65 inchers yet! If you can find that damn sony under 5K, then pm me lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts