AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a RCA MM52110 now and really want to go to 1024 X 768 instead of 800 x 600. I would really like to keep 4:3 too! I know, I know .. I like my regular tv viewing too !!

Thanks for the help!

BTW.. is there a satallite tuner card yet?

Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
kittentanz,

I'm similarly interested. Poor lighting control and a wish to avoid transcoding/Powerstrip mean I want a well illuminated display with a VGA input. So far that's meant a direct view monitor/hdtv. Here's a recent thread with specific models discussed:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=187060

I'm using the RCA MM32110 now as a display for a test HTPC I'm assembling. At 800x600x32-bit @ 60Hz with Radeon 7500 AIW the scan lines are incoherhent so I drop back to 16-bit color. Multiple service requests with RCA have been futile. I was considering a larger RCA/Thompson unit, but their support has put me off.

For the next display I'm currently investigating the Samsung HLM 507W (DLP) and the Viewsonic NextVision N3600W. I want to go with 16:9 because widescreen DVD on 4:3 doesn't really take advantage of the HTPC video scaling. So black bar burn-in from 4:3 content is a concern. I expect 4:3 content viewing to diminish with the next HTPC so it's not a big concern. Right now, for me, the Samsung looks most interesting.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Keep in mind that 4:3 is a dying 'breed', as more and more shows and broadcasts go to a 16:9 format. So if you go out and buy the best thing you can afford that does 4:3, you're going to be watching it in 16:9 in a few years anyway :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I can live wthout 4:3 ...

So what are my options? Other than the Samsung DLP..

And is there a satallite decoder card for the pc yet?

TIA

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.