AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im well aware that there are alot different versions of blade runner on laserdisc, Im bidding on the criterion version, is that the best version for the picture and sound, or is there another pressing out there with superior PQ?...

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
In the US there was at least one old P&S version with terrible A/V, then two (2!) Cirterions (CAV and CLV) and then the "Director's Cut". Supposedly the Director's Cut picture is as good as if not better than the Criterions. I don't think you could go wrong with any of those three, and the important choice is which edit of the movie you want.

Not sure about PAL or Japanese versions.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
BladeRunner from japan may not be a real option. The transfer shown on BS is one of the not so great pictures from BS.

Of couse, talking out of my a-- on this one...

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I'd say that the Director's Cut LD looks and sounds a bit better than my Criterion CLV copy. However, I prefer the original version most of the time so I watch the Criterion more. Theoretically, the CAV Criterion set could look about 2% better. I would not buy it just for that theoretical reason alone. I've watched a whole lotta' LD's and I doubt I could differintiate a CLV side from a CAV side of same material. Besides changing discs every 40-60 minutes is a pain. Using CAV discs to study how a film was framed together, well that's totally cool. However, for entertainment, CLV works for me, hi-dee-ho.

I'm not sure what extras you do or don't get with the CAV set? ...haven't seen it. Without going and looking, it just struck me, I think the Director's cut is all-side CAV on 2 discs? The Criterion CLV offers one disc convience and I like the old-timey sounding Harrison voice-over even if Ridley Scott doesn't!;) Just 'cause he's directed this movie several times, do ya think that makes him some kind of expert?:D I just like the way the voice-over connects dots from that particular fictious future with the past, the noir feeling, mood.

I'd get the original film. The latest Director's Cut/Recut will be on DVD. The original may never be? Good luck on your shopping!:)

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I have the Directors Cut LD of Blade Runner...

It's as good as the DVD!!!!! Which of course is the problem with the DVD *sigh* The DVD is a direct transfer from this LD.

- Rick

·
Registered
29,403 Posts
I own every edition of Blade Runner on LD, nine of them in all. US Theatrical Cut, European Theatrical Cut, Director's Cut, pan & scan, letterbox, analog sound, digital sound, American, Japanese... I've got every combination.

The two best laserdisc editions are the Criterion CAV (European Cut) and the Director's Cut.

Krynos, the DVD is not the same transfer as the Director's Cut LD. For one thing, it's anamorphic. It also has a much better black level and a better sense of detail. Unfortunately, being the very first commercial DVD ever released, the compression quality is a mess by current standards and it definitely needs a remaster.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Josh, so what cut is the Criterion CLV, Croatian, Hindu, Canadian, like which?;) Is it a different version than the CAV? Surely not, eh? I know there's about as many versions as there are days in Febuary, or atleast close?!? Best wishes! :)

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Everyone with any ownership of Blade Runner should be rounded up and put in a stadium. Then, one at a time, they should be shot. But it's not shoot to kill -- it's shoot to maim. I do have a conscience, you know!

How many shots would have to be fired before these Fn A-Holes decided to stop their petty bickering and give Blade Runner fans what they should have been given years ago?

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Murphy Jr
Everyone with any ownership of Blade Runner should be rounded up and put in a stadium. Then, one at a time, they should be shot. But it's not shoot to kill -- it's shoot to maim. I do have a conscience, you know!

How many shots would have to be fired before these Fn A-Holes decided to stop their petty bickering and give Blade Runner fans what they should have been given years ago?
...so, like Auh-nold is gonna shoot them all in the leg, eh?:D Will the State auf Kalafornie give him time off for that? Like, auh, ibid for all that stuff you mentioned Joe!:)

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
This is a tough crowd. All I get is one Amen to that!? What's wrong with you people?

Thanks, Rachael. We'll keep the new Blade Runner Super Duper SE DVD for ourselves.

:)

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Di nada, Joe!:)

·
Registered
29,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rachael Bellomy
Josh, so what cut is the Criterion CLV, Croatian, Hindu, Canadian, like which?;) Is it a different version than the CAV? Surely not, eh? I know there's about as many versions as there are days in Febuary, or atleast close?!? Best wishes! :)
Both Criterion discs are the European Theatrical Cut (voice-over, happy forest ending, extra snippets of violence). The CAV has a small number of supplements, such as a lengthy production artwork gallery and some trivia notes. The CLV has nothing but the movie.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
That's what I thought you'd say Josh. Merci beacoup! I just wanted to hear you say it. :)

Hey Oliver, how goes the Battle of E-bay?;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the info you lot. Rachael, the bidding is doing good on ebay, but i think its the CLV version so there are no extras.

I've been bidding on alot of Highlander 2 : Renegade version laserdisc auctions but keep being out bid at the last minute, is this film on DVD yet, cause it keeps selling for good prices on ebay?....

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I have the Highlander 2 LD.

It's on DVD, but non-anamorphic (same transfer as LD) and with less than spectacular MPEG encoding. The LD looks a tad better (played on a CLD-97) in my opinion.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
Save your money Highlander 2 is a mess of a movie, here in Europe we have that cut of the film available and truly it must rank as one of the poorest sequels ever made and it totally disregards the ending of the previous film.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.