AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was looking for some opinions on the best configuration for my Sony STR-DH510 receiver. I have 2 questions:

One thing is the surround mode:

I've been using Cinema Studio EX B. Is this the best setting for sound quality and getting the most out of my speakers without a subwoofer?

Second thing:

I have a pair of Polk Audio R150 speakers for my L/R channels and a Polk Audio RM8 center channel. I recently bought the center channel. Previously, the two book shelf speakers sounded great on their own. I had the receiver set to 2 Channel. Now that I have the center, I'm wondering the best setting to get the most out of all of the speakers. Do I keep the center channel to LARGE or SMALL? I feel they are good speakers, but not sure of the best settings.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I would set all your speakers to small, unless they are really full range (and few are.) I even set my B&W towers to small. They probably go down to at least 60hz, but they don't go down below 30hz like my sub does.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not have a subwoofer, so the receiver does not allow the change of LARGE to SMALL for the L/R speakers. It only allows to change the center. Should I change the center to SMALL?

·
Banned
367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runrabbitrun79 /forum/post/20191734

I do not have a subwoofer, so the receiver does not allow the change of LARGE to SMALL for the L/R speakers. It only allows to change the center. Should I change the center to SMALL?

the center channel has two 2.5 inch woofers that go down to 95hz

95hz isnt low enough to justify the 'large' setting.

but you should try the 'large' setting to see if the speakers throw out sound any better.

listen for distortion starting with a very low volume.

use audio you already know.. because you dont want to blow your speakers from a suprise.

if the speakers dont distort, consider the cone travel.

asking the cone to move in and out more than it is designed for can cause speaker damage.

one thing that could happen, the cone moves outwards too much and causes the voice coil to run the magnet.

if that happens, the copper will slowly grind itself away until it breaks the connection.

the only way to know if that will happen is to take the speaker apart and have a good look at the distance between the voice coil and the magnet.

the top of the coil might not rub at all, but the very bottom of the coil might.

if the 'large' setting makes the speaker sound a lot better.. its probably best to continue using that setting, and if the speaker breaks.. you'll have to either repair it or get a new one.

you just never know how long the speaker will tolerate the abuse before it breaks.

its better to be safe rather than sorry if you dont want anything to break.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts