AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was looking for some opinions on the best configuration for my Sony STR-DH510 receiver. I have 2 questions:

One thing is the surround mode:

I've been using Cinema Studio EX B. Is this the best setting for sound quality and getting the most out of my speakers without a subwoofer?

Second thing:

I have a pair of Polk Audio R150 speakers for my L/R channels and a Polk Audio RM8 center channel. I recently bought the center channel. Previously, the two book shelf speakers sounded great on their own. I had the receiver set to 2 Channel. Now that I have the center, I'm wondering the best setting to get the most out of all of the speakers. Do I keep the center channel to LARGE or SMALL? I feel they are good speakers, but not sure of the best settings.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am contemplating the same setup as runrabbit: Polk R150s for the fronts and a Polk R8 for the center (the CSR Center is just too bulky for my cabinet) and I'll be using a Marantz NR-1501 (50w/ch). I have a fairly small room, about 12 by 12 feet, which opens up onto a larger room of equal size. I'd like to get away without a subwoofer out of neighborly courtesy and aesthetics. I'm fairly new at all this and would appreciate advice and comments about this setup.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I'm not an expert in audio, I can only tell you from my experience with this setup. At first I had the R150s as left and right channel. They sound great together and enough power by themselves without a sub woofer. Then, I purchased the RM8, which is a good center speaker. When you have the three speakers working together they do sound good, however most of the sound comes from the center channel speaker. It is quality sound, but I would love it if the R150s sounded like they did when I had them set up by themselves. I think if the center, left and right are all RM8s, it would be better quality surround sound.

Hope this helps. Maybe more people will comment.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Could the imbalance b/w center and fronts be a calibration problem? You'd think your AVR would take care of that during calibration and set up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts