AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I am using the Linksys Velop Mesh device but I am not getting good range. I want to improve my range/speed and was wondering which is the best device to get now. Should I pick another mesh device or should I go with a top-of-the-line wireless router?

Thank you for the suggestion(s) in advance.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Currently I am using the Linksys Velop Mesh device but I am not getting good range. I want to improve my range/speed and was wondering which is the best device to get now. Should I pick another mesh device or should I go with a top-of-the-line wireless router?
Wifi is always a trade off between range/speed. Mesh is designed to give you access to low range, high throughput (5G) nodes at all the places you need with a unified SSID and some smarts/algorithms on AP switching

Long range can be had at lower throughput with high gain antennas like this https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Directional-Parabolic-Connector-TL-ANT2424B/dp/B003CFATOW/ref=pd_sim_147_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003CFATOW&pd_rd_r=Y1P8ZS0JHA9DD3ZNQ0TM&pd_rd_w=ZMD8T&pd_rd_wg=nGZQX&psc=1&refRID=Y1P8ZS0JHA9DD3ZNQ0TM which is kind of designed for people with a barn, building, etc far from their main access point

The best option for you will end up being the right combination for the issues you are having, no silver bullet

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I currently have Luma Mesh 3-pack and it's doing good... range of the individual APs isn't great, but one on each floor of my relatively small-footprint 3-floor home (with the primary on the middle floor) gives solid coverage and speed to all my devices.

That said, if I was buying today, I'd probably pick up 3 or 4 of these, flash the latest AC68U firmware, and use them in mesh mode... all the benefits of mid-to-higher-end routers (antennas, power, ethernet ports, usb, etc) but in a true mesh configuration at a bargain basement price.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts

Thank you for the suggestion(s) in advance.
We are using the Google mesh system. Tried using a $30 "extender". Almost useless. Couldn't set up whole home sound system that worked. Weak sigal/speeds. Now all is well.
EASY set up.

·
Registered
6,773 Posts
Pretty much any of the Ubiquity Access Points will blow away even the best wi-fi routers.
Unlike the router- you place the AP where you need it for superior reception... use 2-3 to cover your whole house.
They are POE with included injector, so they're super easy to wire... just run a cat5e cable to the easiest area to get at in the general area you want coverage- plug the cable in to the injector, then plug that in to your router, switch, etc.. and you're good to go.

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Unifi-Ap-AC-Long-Range/dp/B015PRCBBI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1521127487&sr=8-2&keywords=ubiquiti+access+point

1 - 5 of 5 Posts