AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What is the best direct view 16:9 computer moniter 27" up to 38" inch?

423 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  sawyer 
#1 ·
Just wondering what the best HDTV computer direct view 16:9 moniter on the market?

Which has the best dot pitch resoultions "SP" of any computer moniter?

Right now I am using a 17" 4:3 Compaq 1725 monitor being fed by my STB RCA DTC-100 and its is very impressive HDTV video is just amazing.

The reason is I prefered computer moniter is they have better dot pitch than the plain old 16:9 direct view HDTV TV sets IMHO!

So what the best deal on this?

8-22-01

------------------

"73's N5XZS"

From Timothy C. Johnson

Live Long and Prosper...

See less See more
#2 ·
You got a head cold or something?

Plain old HDTV sets, you ought to see my view. I have no plans on going back to a tiny computer monitor ever, ever again.

I am too used to my inscreen 19" h x 34" wide for my set is already high def with line doubler built inside. I also have a Direct TV receiver with card slot and phone plug for $500 more than the new Sony 24 inch monitor for $2499 in 16:9 format. Be my guest I like sitting on my lounge chair like I am doing right now. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Hob for Hobby

#3 ·
Hello Hob,

It's just I want to up grade to a bigger HDTV computer moniter WITH a better dot pitch resolutions than TV makers with very poor record on dot pitch resolutions on HDTV TV sets.

I can't stand seeing scan lines by being up close and not enough resolutions on a HDTV TV set but the good thing is computer moniters do very well for being able to get rid scan lines and better resolutions at any screen sizes!!

I think the TV sets companys has lost the art to make better resolutions on direct views, while computer moniter companys has mastered the art to get the best resolutions out of direct views computer moniters IMHO.

8-22-01

------------------

"73's N5XZS"

From Timothy C. Johnson

Live Long and Prosper...

#4 ·
I think the Sony W900 (old, curved, discontinued)

or FW900 (flat) are still your best bet even though

they are only 24" wide. They have a small enough pitch

( ~.26 average) to display pretty much all of a 1920x1080

image.

I looked at alot of 34-36" 16:9 sets and they all seemed

to have > .7mm pitch which resulted in approx 1200x700 max resolution.

I don't think it is a matter of "art" to create a smaller dot pitch larger CRT... I think it is a matter of "marketing economics".

#5 ·
I have the sony 24 incher referred to in the prior post, better known as the GDM FW-900. It is absolutely beautiful in max resolution of 2304 x 1440 pixels with .23mm aperature. Best of all, you can use it as either a widescreen PC or an HDTV with a HiPix DTV200 1080i/720p HDTV tuner card from telemann labs. (the 'WinTV' is available from hauppague as well, either for about $400)

It can handle scan rates up to 120 Mhz...basically anything you can dish out. (Sorry about the pun.)

I would love to invest in a scaler or quadrupler to run a progressive DVD player at 1080p or double a cbs broadcast into 1080p.

To answer your first question about 'dot pitch' aperatures:

Most 16:9 34" crt direct views will have an aperature of about .80mm and higher. Probably the best of these is the Sampo SME-34WHD5 at .82mm with a max resolution of 1024 X 768. The highest resolution ABOVE 24" is the 30" princeton AF3.0HD at .63mm which will scan up to 1024 X 768 also.( http://www.princetonhdtv.com/Products/PHDTV-HD-AF30HD-specs.asp )

Still, 1024 X 768 can't hold a candle to 2304 x 1440, eventhough you have to compramise 6 to 10 diagonal inches.

24" works well in a smaller sized room anyway. I remember being perfectly happy with my 19" GE growing up.

Best of luck.

#6 ·
I think the 38" RCA claims to have a .68mm dot pitch which makes it a bit better than "the rest"... Perhaps it does 1300x900. Still not 1920x1080, but getting closer.

I think the FW900 has a "variable pitch" aperture grille with .23mm being the tightest part of the screen (center I think) and it grows to something like .27 at the edges. Not totally sure why they do this exactly but it averages out to more like .25-.26mm...

#9 ·
PVR what I am refering to in watching my RCA 38" is DVDs with no scanning lines even on pause.

I don't have any TV programming since 1997, I don't miss the 17.5 minutes per hour of commercials which a telephone call with a representative of Service electric Cable Company of Allentown, PA.

Said when a lot of High def programming comes the commercals you see now will be minscule to the amount of commercials that will be needed to paying for High Def prgramming! I don't need more tan 17.5 minutes per hour.

------------------

Hob for Hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.