AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an aging (8 year-old) Panasonic 42" RPTV that is no longer acceptable in terms of picture quality (as you can imagine!). It was quite something to behold in its haydays, but now it's time to buy another TV as replacement. This time, we are going back to tube for reliability and picture quality. Of course as with all things, we do have a budget for this TV. I've been told the budget is roughly $2K for this new set. The aspect ratio of this new set hasn't been decided yet, but for 16:9 widescreen, I was thinking of either the Panasonic 34" tau or the Toshiba 34". I am also aware that Sony also has a 34" widescreen tube, so does RCA with a 38 incher, and the exotic Loewe Aconda (way out of budget :p ). I am sort of leaning away from the RCA set as I've read about reliability concerns with that brand. Besides Panasonic, Sony, and Toshiba, who else makes a decent sized widescreen tube within that price range? As for 4:3 aspect ratio, I was thinking of the 36" Sony XBR800 set. Are these choices pretty good? Am I missing anything else? Your helpful inputs would greatly be appreciated.

Also, we just got a Panasonic 42" plasma about a month ago for another room. I haven't seen any of the afforementioned direct-view sets in action yet, but this plasma PQ blows the RPTV out of the water. How realistic is it to expect those listed models to match the picture quality of the plasma?

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Sony and Toshiba are the main 34" widescreen sets to go for. Panasonic's current model is inferior (older than the other two, doesn't have DVI, etc.) and may be discontinued until a new model appears. Both the Sony and Toshiba should be discounted near $2000, though the retail price is more like $2500. The Panasonic 42" plasma is probably the best picture quality and of course larger than the 34" direct-views, but of course at a higher cost. The top of the line directviews are great for their size however.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you DonBerg for that reply. I was not aware that the Panasonic is an older model than the other two. Although I've heard some express their doubts about the RCA brand, I've also read of positive experiences from others. The only (minor) thing I have against this tube is that it's not flat compared with the Sony or Toshiba, albeit it is quite larger. I'm sure this is just a personal taste, but is there any other reason not to consider a non-flat tube?

·
Registered
337 Posts
You ruled out "the best direct view" for budget reasons. Understandable. IMHO I don't think a tv should be ruled out just because it is not flat. In fact, that just means you will probably get better geometry and maybe fewer reflections off of the tube. The latter can usually be corrected quite easily. Go for what looks best to your eyes.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
My eyes watched the exotic movie and locations of "The Jackal" a 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen on my won't give it up RCA F-38310 with over 14,000 hours of play since June 2, 2001 it has one of the most beautiful views 19H by 33.25W inches.

Member to get your actual viewing area take 1/2 of the diaginol, to get the width divide 8 into the diaginol then multiply by 7. My 38 inch height is 19 inches, width or 7/8 of the diaginol. 8 into 38= 4.5 multiplied by 7= 33.25 this the actual viewing area.

I suggest you experience the wide screen over the old soon to be replaced 4:3 as your last option. If you have questions I suggest you click the URL in my signature

below, the one that says FCC.:)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hob
My eyes watched the exotic movie and locations of "The Jackal"...
Are you by chance referring to the Bruce Willis/Richard Gere piece of crap in the format of a movie?

I think I'd rather stick dirty sporks in my eyes than subject myself to that again...

Not even Jack Black could polish that turd.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
It has been 3 1/2 years since I rented The Jackal DVD, but I did find it entertaining. Widescreen Review rated the DVD "reference quality" and noted that the DTS soundtrack had "superb sound effects" and "superb music score." (sorry about getting off the thread subject)

·
Registered
570 Posts
We own a Toshiba CW34X92 34" widescreen which we have been very happy with. It has every input/output we have ever needed. We use one of the component inputs for our progressive scan DVD, and the other for HD from the Dish 6000. We tune local cable from an RF input that has a 3D YC comb filter. Our cable stations are excellent. We use an s-video input for SD from the Dish 6000. We use the variable audio out to send cable audio to our DD5.1 sound system.

The new model of the Toshiba is third generation, and does 3:2 pulldown. I saw it at Best Buy the other day for around $2000. The remote control operation is much improved from our model in that you can select input sources quickly without scrolling through all of them. Check it out.

Best Buy is having a 10% off sale this weekend if you have the coupons that they sent out in the mail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.