AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade to DirecTV HD. What sort of experiences has anyone had with RCA, Sony or Toshiba receivers. Are there new models about to come out. Thanks. Steve Francis

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
RCA DTC 100 has worked fine for me so far. Have a problem with NBC OTA. Other then that, excellent unit.

------------------

Silence is overrated!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
It all depends on the TV you have and the inputs:

VGA= RCA DTC-100, or Sony

Component= Sony, Toshiba, Mits, Hughes

All above will work great, for HDnet!
www.**************.com

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

[This message has been edited by taron1 (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check out the July/August issue of The Perfect Vision magainze. There is a review of 4 STBs (Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba & Mitsubishi). Basically the conclusion was the safest bet was to go with the same manufacturer as your TV.

I just went through this decision and ended up getting the Mitsubishi even though I have a Sony HD monitor. I eliminated the Pansonic (only 1 input so you can't have multiple HD sources) and the Toshiba (does not integrate the multiple HD sources).

That left me leaning towards the Sony. However reviews on the Sony are very mixed. The magazine listed it as having very poor upconversion with lots of artifacts. Everyone seems to hate the loud fan. I've seen a few people saying they love it, but tons of people saying it was junk and they moved to the Mitsubishi.

I couldn't find any negatives on the Mitsubishi, and it had one feature I really wanted that the Sony does not have - Caller ID. It flashes the caller on the screen. I really love that feature and I've not seen it mentioned anywhere.

I've had the Mit for a few days now, and the quality is awesome. Unfortunately I'm having unresolved video black-out problems. Hopefully I can find a solution for that problem soon.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Phantom-

Can you double check that? I thought that the Mitsu and the Tosh were virtually identical, except for the remote.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I don't have the TV yet - either Panny or Pioneer 50" plasma. I have always had Sony stuff - their early A1 receiver was far better than the first RCA out for DirecTV at its inception. I'll check the reviews. If I get a scaler, the artifacts should disappear from the Sony.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
For DirecTV HDTV units,

The RCA & ProScan units are identical, except for color.

The Mitsu, Toshiba & Hughes units perform identical, look different.

The Sony is unique, as is the Panasonic.

That's the lot of them for now, but Zenith is due soon & I think a Philips is not far behind.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
35 Posts
My DTC-100 just bit the dust, so I read all the reviews and selected the Mitsubishi. I wanted the Toshiba clone because I liked the remote better, but they only had the Mitsubishi in stock. Turns out with the Mitsubishi you also get an RF remote control with the normal remote -- don't know about the Toshiba.

I read all the old posts regarding all these STB's and, having used the Mitsubishi for a while, do not agree when people say the DTC100 is better.

1) You cannot manually select or lock out analog channels on the DTC-100. On the Mits, and clones, you can enable and disable individual analog and digital channels.

2) I think the Mits picture is brighter than the DTC-100 and quality is comparable.

3) The Mits has a more sensitive receiver and does a better job locking on to marginal signals than the DTC-100.

4) Upconversion and picture stretching is on par with the DTC-100

5) I use the SD outputs for recording with Tivo. Using the DTC-100 that was more complicated because you had to switch input modes to go between TV and DSS. With combined guide on Mits there is no input switching.

6) With the DTC-100, the HD/SD mode was a toggle -- and using a macro IR remote, the toggle was easy to get out of sync. With the Mits -- the HD/SD, while using a single button, uses seperate IR codes, so when programming a macro IR remote, you never get HD/SD confusion. HD is programmed to one button, the SD is programmed to another

The DTC-100 is the first, and arguably a good unit -- but it is an aging -- and now has to make room for the new blood!

·
Registered
785 Posts
I've had the Sony HD100 for a couple of months now, and really like it. The menus are great (especially the index menu), and the thing that really swayed me toward the Sony was the fact that it has component 480i passthrough. That way, I can watch 4:3 standard Direct programming without switching outputs. Also, the upconversion of the Sony to 1080i to me is only an issue if your TV doesn't have a built-in linedoubler, which most do now. I think you'll almost always get a better quality line doubler with the TV, so I just use the 480i component pass through, and let the TV do the upconversion.

mike

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Sounds like the Sony is for me unless something new pops up in the next 30 days.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you have to buy now, get the Sony. If you can wait, get the Zenith.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by USSValor:
If you have to buy now, get the Sony. If you can wait, get the Zenith.
Wait for how LONG! Last I heard it was supposed to be out in September. Well?

------------------

nick

·
Registered
464 Posts
sdf777- It depends on which TV you have. I have or have had the RCA, Sony and Panny. No comparison whatsoever, the Panasonic is the best STB. The Sony was typical Sony..(Seriously Overpriced Nothing new Yuppie food). There are also people who swear by Bose. Bose and Sony charge more because they have cultivated an image. Until recently Bose touted the superiority of their system for surround. In today's paper there is an ad for a new Bose unit with DD and DTS!! Sony is just as obstinate.

Don't buy the Sony, they still haven't admitted the problems with their STB.

I just count my blessings that the dealer took the Sony back, buying the Sony HD box was nearly the second worst decision of my life, the first being my ex-wife!!

------------------

TN55x81-TUHDS20-AVR210-AD800 Down...DTC-100, TSL3295HF, VSX-D710, DV434 up

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have had the RCA DTC 100 unit now for almost 2 years which has worked pretty well during that time. Have read bits an pieces about the new Zenith unit and I am interested. Does anybody know when it will be out?

·
Registered
797 Posts
My DTC-100 is not displaying CBS (signal strength is 88-90)

so I think it may be time to try something new.

Any caveats about the Sony? I must try it first because I need an RGB connection to my projector.

·
Registered
31 Posts
don't worry to much, you may be required to replace your direct-tv STB with a 6000HD(free).

The 6000 is a good unit.

RCIEGR

------------------

rciegr

·
Registered
546 Posts
JHL, if you're receiving a good signal strength on your CBS station, but no picture, and assuming that your CBS station is in fact broadcasting a picture and is not experiencing technical difficulties, the most likely problem is that they are sending out an incorrect PSIP stream. This happened to us in Dallas last week, but has since been corrected.

If you have Off-Air guides enabled, try turning them off and redoing your channel scan, then tune directly to your digital station number for CBS. See if you get a picture that way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.