Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My grandparents are looking for a dvd player. Can anyone recommend a reliable dvd player for around $100? I have had good experience with JVC products in the past and found a JVC player online called the XV-N422S.

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...thId=10&page=1

The problem is, I can't find any reviews for it. Is there a better player out there for the same amount of money? Thanks so much!!!

Justin

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I think there are a lot of good DVD players out there in the $100 or less range. Most DVD players offer progressive scan now so if they have a TV with Component inputs they will get a better picture than using S-Video or lower cables. I would just try to stay with a reputible name:Toshiba, Sanyo, Panasonic, etc... However, my folks recently purchased a $40 Apex player from Walmart and it performs nicely.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
At this level my first choice would be Panasonic; my second Toshiba.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefft1314
Pioneer dv578a is supposed to be a pretty good player, and can be had for a hundred dollars online. Google it.
This player and the Sony DVP-NS775V are probably the best in the under $130 range. I believe Circuit City carries both players if you want to try both and make a decision.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Most of the newer budget players only have the digital coaxial and not the optical, so make sure you get one with a compatible output for your receiver. I just got a Onkyo DV-SP302 for $48.00 at Brandsmart. The PQ is very good and better then some of the upconverting players I have seen, I returned a Sammy HD841 ($98.00) because the greyscale was off and it didn't show dark scenes with any detail and when I turned up the brightness, the PQ didn't look that great, although it did have very good sound with HDCD and DVD-A. I can't compare the Onkyo to the Sony, Panny or Pioneer that was recommended because I haven't seen those, but for the price it does a decent job. So far I have looked at Sammy HD850/841, Sony, can't remember model# but it was low end, Zenith DVB318 and the Onkyo. The PQ of the Zenith was the best but I couldn't justify spending much more then the Onkyo for slightly better PQ. I will wait for a true HD-player, when they are available.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies

How much of a difference is there between 10 bit/54mhz and 12-bit/108mhz DACs?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.