AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have an old Sharp model in my HT. I think it is a s55u or something of the sorts. Anyway...we just recently moved and we can no longer ceiling mount it for aesthetic reasons. So we were going to put it in a coffee table but we have a mediocre keystone problem and since our old sharp doesn't have keystone correction we're outta luck.

So, I managed to convince me father (the guy with the money) that we need a newer projector. At first I was just going to upgrade to the new sharp DW-100U since I know it has digital keystone correction and the image is pretty damn good. But, of course, I started doing my research and found out that digital keystone correction introduces some distortion and that optical keyston correction does not.

The only projector that both has this and interests me is the new Sanyo PLV60. Now the problem (well not really a problem but...) with that is that it is a 16:9 projector and our screen is 4:3. I would be more than happy to get a 16:9 screen but it isn't going to happen anytime soon. So then I was looking at the Sanyo XP21N or the XP18N, but those only have digital keystone correction.

Anyway...it comes down to this:

1. We need a new projector in the next month

2. Our screen is 4:3 and won't be changed for at least a year

3. We need a projector that can correct keystone

So my questions are:

1. How bad/good is the digital keyston correction in the Sharp and Sanyos? We're not hardcore videophiles but we don't want something ugly either.

2. Are the Sanyos drastically better than the Sharp? I ask this because we can trade up our old sharp for the newer one.

3. If we get a 16:9 projector at WXGA resolution, can we "turn off" the side (wide) pixels to make it seem like a XGA? This is my more important question. I would like to get the Sanyo PLV60 so that maybe later we can upgrade to a 16:9 screen, but I want to be able to fill my 4:3 screen completely with a 4:3 image. Can the PLV60 do this? or would I be forced to have some of the light (the pixels past the 1024 mark) bleeding off my screen? I hope this makes sense. I've been reading lots of posts on this forum for a while and can't seem to find a satisfactory answer.

Thanks for any help you can offer me.

--Vince

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Vince,

If budget is an issue (and when is it not?) then I think the best fit for you is a vanilla XGA projector in 4:3 aspect ratio. The one I would reccomend for under $4000 is the NEC VT540, and it just so happens I have seen this in and A/B comparison with the Sharp XV-DW100U. There is no contest after calibration, the $4K NEC looks brighter, clearer, and has better color and contrast then the $10K Sharp, even though the published specs are very similar. We were driving both with a HTPC and WinDVD, and used Avia test patterns and ther DVD The Fifth Element to assess the winner.

The NEC projector has fixed optical keystone correction, and can be used either ceiling mounted or table mounted. Check out the installation data here to see if it fits your room: http://support.nevt.co.jp/dl_service/mvt_en.htm

The Sharp offers more input options and power zoom and power focus which are absent from the NEC.

If you ever decide on a more permanent installation, the NEC projector plus either the Panamorph or ISCO lenses would give you 16:9 aspect ratio and allow the 4:3 display in the center, with simple curtain side masking for the wide screen.

For more options, check here:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/cons...i=home_theater

Gary

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gary for your input, I think I'll take a closer look at the NEC.

I'm definately thinking that I should get a 4:3 projector but I'm still a little confused on the 16:9...if I get the PLV60, will I not be able to turn off the side pixels and just display a 4:3 image until we upgrade to a 16:9 screen? I guess I'm just greedy and I want the best now... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Hmmm...looking at the VT540 I can't help wonder if the LT150 would be better. Budget is a concern but considering my father is expecting to pay a lot who am I to argue with. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

The LT150 is DLP and has a 800:1 contrast ratio which definately appeals to me.

Of course there's the Sanyos also...the XP18N and XP21N don't look to shabby, but they don't have optical keystone correction, just digital. Which is why I keep coming back to the PLV60 which is just awesome but is 16:9 (as if that's a bad thing). So is it really not possible to use the PLV60 as a 4:3 projector until we upgrade our screen?

I've pretty much eliminated the Sharp...but still so many choices and now I have the NECs to consider! Agh! Why do I have to be so nitpicky?

Anyway...assuming we have a $7k budget? What do you think? Can you help me narrow it down to either Sanyo or NEC...then we can work on narrowing further?

If I'm being stupid about the 16:9 thing, just tell me...I can get obsessive at times. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif It's just I watch a lot of DVDs...but I'm the only one in the family (of 4) who does.

Ah well....thanks for your help.

--Vince

·
Registered
197 Posts
Vinceman,

One thing to keep in mind is that the LT150 has a very significant projection angle, so that keystone may not be necessary. This allows you to position the projector lower than many others (or higher for ceiling use) while still maintaining optimal screen placement.

For example, if you place the LT150 in a coffee table 10.5' from the screen, and the lens of the projector is 16" off the ground, the picture would start at about 27" from the bottom of the floor and be 60" high (80x60). Thats not a bad viewing height for sofa watching.

The only negative is that it has no zoom, so you need to be sure about how far back you want it to be.

I just got the LT150 yesterday for $3250 and I'm very pleased with it. I compared it to the Sanyo PLV60, Sony V10HT, and Infocus LP350.

-Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave E in TX (edited 06-27-2001).]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Dave, thanks for the input! If I did get a LT150 I'd have some extra money and could also spring for an external video processor. I don't know if this is the right forum for this but oh well. Which would be better for the LT150, the iScan Pro or the Quadscan Elite? I realize the iScan has a better de-interlacer but doesn't have a scaler...would the scaler in the LT150 be good enough, or would it be better to get the Quadscan?

I still keep coming back to the Sanyos...which would you say is better...a LT150+processor or a Sanyo XP18N (without processor)?

Thanks for your help again...I appreciate it.

--Vince

·
Registered
197 Posts
Vince,

I have not seen the Sanyo XP18 (or 21) so I can't comment, other than to say I've heard it is a good unit.

I did look at the PLV60 before I bought the LT150. It was nice, probably the nicest LCD I've yet seen. But its blacks were merely fair and the screendoor was still there (and quite noticeable due to the brightness of the projector and darkness of the room).

If the PLV60 and LT150 were the same price, I'd have given it more thought. At twice as much, it made my decision easier. But, some people are more tolerant of the screen door than rainbows, for whom LCD may be a better choice. I can't see the rainbows much, so I prefer the full film-like picture from a DLP.

I did not get a scaler/doubler but rather a progressive scan DVD and soon, a HDTV satellite reciever. However, I would definitely recommend sending a progressive signal to the LT150 (via DVDO, Quadscan, HDTV tuner, or prog DVD player). Without a progressive signal, it looks decent. With one, it'll amaze you.

-Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave E in TX (edited 06-28-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.