AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine wants to get a 4:3 36 inch TV, and he has about a grand to spend. Maybe a little over a grand. I know that there are a couple of 32 inchers, that can do HDTV for about a grand, but all the 36 inchers, go way up in terms of price and are more about 2 grand.

He seems to just be dead set on getting a 36 incher, even if it means no HDTV support. I've tried to plead with him to get the 32 inch Samsung for $999.99, but his wife will only buy a 36 inch set. She doesn't think that 32 is a big enough jump from 27 inches, and she has a special armoire that has a space perfect for a 36 inch TV.

I would guess that there really only option is to try to have about $1400 or so, and wait until the week after X-Mas, and just look for 36 inch Flat Screen 4:3 HDTV's that were returned and marked way down for Open Box.

That is probably their only real option.

Unless you guys have any ideas?

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The 36" HDTV sets are all $1800 or higher right now. So I would agree your only option is to look for open box specials to get lower. The only >32" HDTV set under $1500 right now I've seen is the RCA 38" 16:9 set.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Related to this question, what's the best all around TV for a videophile who has about $600 to spend? How about the 27" HD 4x3 samsung? Is it worth the money? Is there another set besides a Sony Wega I should be considering for my friend (a coworker who's on a budget but loves AV).

-dave

·
Registered
148 Posts
The RCA D36120 can be had for $999, at least in Austin, TX. I have one. I'm not terribly happy with it, but it's the only 36" 4:3 1080i capable set I've seen for under $1K. Mine will probably be up for sale within the next six months.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony1

He seems to just be dead set on getting a 36 incher, even if it means no HDTV support. I've tried to plead with him to get the 32 inch Samsung for $999.99, but his wife will only buy a 36 inch set. She doesn't think that 32 is a big enough jump from 27 inches, and she has a special armoire that has a space perfect for a 36 inch TV.
1. It's not the size of the pen, but how you write your name.

2. A 32" set is a significant jump from a 27" set, especially if you're going from an old round tube to a new flat tube, and especially if you're going from analog to HDTV.

3. Choose the size of the display according to the size of the room and the comfortable viewing distance.

4. Measure the special armoire. TVs are bigger (and heavier!) than many people think -- they come with frames and speakers and control panels and hookups. Depth is a particular concern. If he starts with "it must be a 36" he may wind up choosing the technology based on what fits into a piece of wood (or worse, particle board).

5. The best argument against analog TV is to stand right in front of two 36" TVs side-by-side, the analog right next to the digital. Many retailers still group TVs by size so there's a good chance that the analog and digital sets from the same brand will be right next to each other. Viewed artificially close up like that you really see the mini-blind effect and lack of sharpness on the analog set.

:: AB

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
That armoire might collapse when you put a 250 pound monster 36" set in that thing! I doubt it was designed to handle that kind of weight!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don Berg wrote:

That armoire might collapse when you put a 250 pound monster 36" set in that thing! I doubt it was designed to handle that kind of weight!

----------------------------------------------------

At my local Circuit City, they had the 40" Sony, which weighs 317 lbs, on a stand that was rated for 250 lbs. The salesman indicated that they were just waiting for it to collapse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.