AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start, I must apologize if this post is in the wrong forum or against the rules. I am new and I need some help from tech-savvy people. Now to explain, I am in search of a flat screen LCD television, but I am having trouble finding a decent television for the price. High definition would be nice, as well as HDMI inputs. My price range is no more than $500. So what is out there that is affordable, and a bargain for its quality?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This television would be in a small area, so the smaller the size, the less resolution would matter. I suppose a 26-30" or so would be suffice.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Cool. Here are some models of the top brands in your price range.

The Toshiba is about $100 less than the others.

Toshiba 26AV502U

Sony Bravia M-Series KDL-26M4000

Samsung LN26A330

Panasonic TC-26LX85

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well I'm biased towards Panasonic because I've been happy with so many of their products for 25+ years. Recently I bought my 1st flat panel, the Panasonic TC-37LZ85 37" (at Amazon
), and Panny scores again.

·
Registered
132 Posts
On the other hand Terminader has good point: Vizio!

Consumer Reports recommends the 32" Vizio VO32L HDTV10A in the December 2008 Best Electronics issue. Says it has an excellent HD picture and a wide viewing angle. That's a biggie because a lot of good and expensive LCD TVs still haven't solved that viewing angle problem where the screen looks washed out if not viewed straight on.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I'd also go for Vizio, but all the makes suggested would be a great choice. I just think Vizio is a great bang for the buck, especially in the smaller sizes and since they are available at Costco and Walmart you have a very generous return policy if needed where most other places are 30 days.

Go at least 32" if you can fit one in, do some measurements and go with the biggest screen your wallet and placement will allow. 16/9 viewing can get really small when you consider the different aspect ratios so you want to get the biggest possible and don't worry about resolution, it's a non issue at this size and definitely not worth the price premium.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
The Panasonic TC-26LX85 is discontinued and is getting difficult to find. And 26" LCDs can sometimes be as much or more expensive as 32" LCDs. So if you have room for a larger TV, then it might be a better value to buy a 32". A 26" or 32" LX85 is a good choice if you can still find one for a good price, but they are disappearing.

rmae, FWIW, Consumer Reports recently rated 17 small LCDs and gave top honors to the TC-26LX85. And the TC-32LX85 was rated higher than the VO32L by CNET, although the VO32L also received a favorable review. I personally haven't been all that impressed with Vizio's products and would feel much more comfortable buying a Panasonic. And the Panasonics were pretty cheap when they were widely available, although as I said, it may be difficult to find a good price on one now. BTW, the VO32L has also been discontinued. These older TVs are being replaced by 2009 models.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah it's hard to beat Panasonic.

Turntables, Receivers, CD Players,VCRs, DVD Recorders/Players, and now TVs.

Panasonic has been very very good to me.

·
Registered
16,000 Posts
I bought the 32" Panasonic LCD for the price you stated. IMO, it's your best bet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts