AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not the "gaming type" and therefore do not have any experience with any games or systems. I do want to hook up a game system to a theatre with a 100" screen (the Vidikron projector has VGA, DVI, RGB inputs) and Lexicon amps, JM Lab speakers, Velodyne subs (three of them) and for a bit of fun - Clarke Synthesis tactile units hooked up to the theatre seats.

So the system I want to integrate a game with is compatible and would easily show the difference in picture and sound quality.

If possible, I'd be looking for a game that is fairly easy to play. Perhaps even a racing game using a steering wheel.

Any suggestions are welcome - the picture and sound are most important. Please mention what type of game system the paticular game goes with.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I would recommend any of the Burnout games on Xbox. They look amazing and are fun and easy to play. That being said, if you can wait until November you could get an Xbox 360 and all of the games on that still will look amazing...

Of course PC games will usually look the best, but if you're not a gamer the expense and complexity is probably not worth the trouble.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Have you ever played serious sam the second encounter for pc? While not the "best" game it be a lot of fun with the configuration you have set up there.

This game does not require a monster pc; I played it on full everything on a xp2200 with a ti4200

·
Registered
62 Posts
halo 1 or 2 will blow your mind on xbox

·
Registered
860 Posts
My vote would be Call of Duty for sound on pc.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I think Call of Duty (PC) for sound is amazing, Half Life 2 for video

Halo 2 (xbox) is above average for both audio and video and may be the best choice for having both in 1 game.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Quote:
1.1 What is EVE Online?

EVE is a massive multiplayer online game (MMOG) set in a science-fiction based, persistent world. Players take the role of spaceship pilots seeking fame, fortune, and adventure in a huge, complex, exciting, and sometimes hostile galaxy.
Sounds kind of like an online version Elite, and the screenshots look amazing. Seems like they might offer a free trial too!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Far Cry, Half-Life 2, Halo 2, and (surprised no one's mentioned it) Doom 3. Last time I checked it was still a great looking and sounding game.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I didn't mention doom 3 b/c one of the requirements on the box states that you must wear infrared goggles while playing in order to actually see anything ;)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm going to respectfully disagree with most of these posts - especially the ones recommending FPS's. While these are great games and great looking, they aren't the best choices for the non-gamer. Doom 3 as a show off game for the non-gamer??? Also, note that some (many?) people have montion-sickness issues with first-person games played on projectors and 100" screens.

Driving games can be pretty darn impressive. Right now Forza Motorsport for the XBOX is probably king of the hill. Great looking, great sounding, tons of fun, tons of options - including the ability to make it as easy or hard as you want - etc. Here's some info http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/driving...ort/index.html

I guess I should point out that driving games are also prone to montion-sickness in some people - though not nearly as bad as in first person games.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Freedom Fighters and X-Men Legends - xbox versions have 720p and great surround sound

Resident Evil 4 (gamecube)- amazing visuals and excellent surround sound as well.

I'd go with Burnout 3 (60fps) over Forza (30fps).. the lower framerate of Forza can be part of the motion sickness issue. I've noticed the lower the frame rate and the bigger the screen help me feel ill sometimes with Racing and FPS's.

Gran Turismo 4 has amazing graphics as well, but not really a surround sound experience.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I'd go with Ninja Gaiden a 60fps game, as brian mentioned 30fps games (RE 4) might give motion sickness and take away from your enjoyment, of course RE4s smaller screen (below 480) will help with that...

For stunning (if someowhat limited in movement) graphics Syberia on XBox or PC is almost like looking at movie quality visuals.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
well faster moving games such as racers and first person shooters asI said benifit the most from higher framerates.. there are only a few parts in RE4 that are fairly quick (mine cart, boat), those times you migh have issues.. but for the most part the game is pretty slowly paced as you can only run so fast and you really aren't doing quick camera movement for a majority fo the game.

Ninja Gaiden is one of the smoothest games on xbox and a great visual treat, though I don't recall it having that great of use of surround sound.. Resident Evil 4 is great for hearing enemies coming from all sides of you, excellent use of surround sound. Halo 2 as well, if you are playing on line you can hear people talk from whatever direction they are coming from (if they do talk that is).

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Are you sure you have played Ninja Gaiden?

From Gamespot:

The game sounds outstanding, too.

The sounds of combat in Ninja Gaiden are terrific, especially Ryu's ferocious battle cries--which make him sound about as strong as he is--and the anime-style sound of steel cleaving flesh.

Sure enough, the game features a fantastic soundtrack too, with unique music for all the different chapters and many of the boss battles.

Those with Dolby Digital 5.1-equipped home theater setups will relish the audio experience all the better.

The quality of the sound and the DD 5.1 is mentioned in nearly every NG review and thread. Pretty hard to miss, especially for somoene who finds Pro Logic II to be great sounding..

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Yes, it's been a very long time since I've played it though. Like I said, I don't recall it being great, I didn't say it didn't have it.. I remember Halo:CE being very crisp sounding as well some of the songs are amazing with the drum beats, etc, though honestly I can't remember if you hear enemies behind you or not in that game either.

I remember the sound effects and music itself being top notch, very crisp. I just don't recall the surround sound aspect of the game. It didn't leave an impression with me like Freedom Fighters, Halo 2 and some other games.. I'll have to pop it in again this weekend to refresh my memory.

DPLII can actually be very good. I remember my first experience with Freedom Fighters.. I had the PS2 version before I upgraded to the xbox version.

I used to think that you needed DD or DTS for great surround, but Freedom Fighters was the first game to change that belief, even in DPLII you can hear enemies accurately from where they are.. Rear left, Rear Center, Rear Right, etc.. Yes DD and DTS are better, but they have done amazing things with DPLII as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.