AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the WDTV LIVE but i'm very unsatisfied with the audio support. I rip my blurays to .iso and the wdtv live won't play or pass through the truhd audio through the optical audio out. I need a media player that will do this. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dune Seems to be the player of choice. if you want to play BD.ISO. Many satisfied owners. I have ordered one. Waiting for it to arrive. I tried PB box, WDTV Live, WDTV all of them seems to have some problem or other. PCH -200 has a good following but still has some issues. Dune seems to be the stable one.but it is costlier than others.It depends on your requirements.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnonstop /forum/post/18150636

I have the WDTV LIVE but i'm very unsatisfied with the audio support. I rip my blurays to .iso and the wdtv live won't play or pass through the truhd audio through the optical audio out. I need a media player that will do this. Any ideas?

No player will pass the Hidef audio through optical. Only HDMI can support the Hidef audio bitstream. With that said, the Dune Player is the most complete player on the market at this time. It does have analog out for older receivers but I personally have not tried. I have HDMI on my AVR. It has been confirmed 100% that the Dune does pass TrueHD and DTSHDMA from ISOs, MKVs and m2ts files with ease. I have 2 base units and could not be happier.

·
Registered
144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthukumrank /forum/post/18151020

Dune Seems to be the player of choice. if you want to play BD.ISO. Many satisfied owners. I have ordered one. Waiting for it to arrive. I tried PB box, WDTV Live, WDTV all of them seems to have some problem or other. PCH -200 has a good following but still has some issues. Dune seems to be the stable one.but it is costlier than others.It depends on your requirements.

I would have to agree with you on this. For what the OP has stated as his needs, the Dune is the better choice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr /forum/post/18152088

No player will pass the Hidef audio through optical. Only HDMI can support the Hidef audio bitstream. With that said, the Dune Player is the most complete player on the market at this time. It does have analog out for older receivers but I personally have not tried. I have HDMI on my AVR. It has been confirmed 100% that the Dune does pass TrueHD and DTSHDMA from ISOs, MKVs and m2ts files with ease. I have 2 base units and could not be happier.

Are you saying digital optical can't pass hidef audio? My problem is, I have a panasonic HTIB bluray player. It's the SC-BT200. It only has two digital audio inputs, both optical.

Why can't optical pass the HD audio? Or is it an issue with the WDTV LIVE?

·
Registered
7,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnonstop /forum/post/18153725

Why can't optical pass the HD audio? Or is it an issue with the WDTV LIVE?

Why can't your garden hose spray as much water as those 4 diameter hoses that take 3 firemen to hold? Optical just doesn't have enough throughput to pass multichannel high def audio.

Even if it theoretically did, the standard for optical (SPDIF) was created years before the HDA standard was, so it wouldn't be able to recognize it anyway.

Lastly, content copyright holders would **** a brick if they thought you could transfer the newer, high def audio over a non DRM connection.

-Suntan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/18153855

Why can't your garden hose spray as much water as those 4 diameter hoses that take 3 firemen to hold? Optical just doesn't have enough throughput to pass multichannel high def audio.

Even if it theoretically did, the standard for optical (SPDIF) was created years before the HDA standard was, so it wouldn't be able to recognize it anyway.

Lastly, content copyright holders would **** a brick if they thought you could transfer the newer, high def audio over a non DRM connection.

-Suntan

Normally what I'll do is rip the BD movie to .iso using DVDFAB6 and select "remove HD audio". This works for the most part. When the movie is played back through my WDTV (through the toslink optical) I get full surround sound. Unfortunately, sometimes clicking "remove HD audio" doesn't always work and when I play the .iso on the WDTV I get no audio at all. I'm assuming (and I hate assuming anything) that some Blu disks don't have a standard 5.1/7.1 audio track to revert to. If that's the case, I'm SOL.

Does this sound right accurate?

·
Registered
7,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnonstop /forum/post/18154016

Normally what I'll do is rip the BD movie to .iso using DVDFAB6 and select "remove HD audio". This works for the most part. When the movie is played back through my WDTV (through the toslink optical) I get full surround sound. Unfortunately, sometimes clicking "remove HD audio" doesn't always work and when I play the .iso on the WDTV I get no audio at all. I'm assuming (and I hate assuming anything) that some Blu disks don't have a standard 5.1/7.1 audio track to revert to. If that's the case, I'm SOL.

Does this sound right accurate?

I don't have a WDTV, so this is just supposition, but it sounds like the WDTV does not support DTS audio.

My guess is that when you check to remove the HD audio, DVDFab is just striping the core audio track from either the Dolby TrueHD (it would then give you the DD track) or DTS HD-MA (it would then strip out just the DTS track.)

Now when you do this to a movie with a TrueHD track, you end up with a Dolby Digital AC3 track, which the WDTV can play. When you do it to a movie that has a DTS HD-MA track, you get a DTS track that the WDTV (presumably) can not play.

If you always want to have audio to playback, I suggest ripping the movie while leaving the remove HD audio unchecked, then opening it in ClownBD and processing the audio in there. In Clown you have the option of converting the DTS HD-MA track to Dolby Digital (AC3) which will then playback on your WDTV.

Again, all this is based on an assumption that the WDTV does not support playback of DTS audio, I'm sure someone else could tell you if that's right or wrong.

-Suntan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really don't want to do a lot of ripping and recoding. Just once to get the movie off the disk and into an .iso format.

So I need a media player that can handle all the AC3 and DTS and anything else that will pipe through an optical cable.

Seems like the Dune player will do this (not totally sure). Anyone know when/where it will go on sale? Have there been any performance reviews done on this player?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Dune has been out for a while. They have two versions. Dune Base and Dune Prime (Prime has a built-in Bluray drive). Do a google search. I.E. "Purchase Dune Prime:. That will bring up several sources, but be prepared. The Dune Prime sells for around $500.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
There is an HD media player that plays Blu-ray disks, supports HD audio codecs, can play streamed HD video (and with a little help access the Internet sites like Hulu), will soon support HDMI 1.4, will soon support 3D HD video and 3D Blu-rays, and can be had for under $300. Oh, it plays HD games (which is media right?) too.

Yeah, I know a lot of people here hate it, but it is a good deal...maybe one of the best.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/18154702

I don't have a WDTV, so this is just supposition, but it sounds like the WDTV does not support DTS audio.

My guess is that when you check to remove the HD audio, DVDFab is just striping the core audio track from either the Dolby TrueHD (it would then give you the DD track) or DTS HD-MA (it would then strip out just the DTS track.)

Now when you do this to a movie with a TrueHD track, you end up with a Dolby Digital AC3 track, which the WDTV can play. When you do it to a movie that has a DTS HD-MA track, you get a DTS track that the WDTV (presumably) can not play.

If you always want to have audio to playback, I suggest ripping the movie while leaving the remove HD audio unchecked, then opening it in ClownBD and processing the audio in there. In Clown you have the option of converting the DTS HD-MA track to Dolby Digital (AC3) which will then playback on your WDTV.

Again, all this is based on an assumption that the WDTV does not support playback of DTS audio, I'm sure someone else could tell you if that's right or wrong.

-Suntan

Suntan is for the most part 100% correct.

Look for yourself on Wikipedia, it tells you the options to transport are 6 to 8 RCA if the player decodes and uses it's DAC or HDMI from player to AVR for decoding and AVR DAC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS-HD_Master_Audio

and here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_true_hd

Even lower AVR models now include DTS MA or TRUEHD. My 2007 Onkyo 605 was the first to have it and it is considered a entry mid-level AVR.

·
Banned
2,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog /forum/post/18155339

There is an HD media player that plays Blu-ray disks, supports HD audio codecs, can play streamed HD video (and with a little help access the Internet sites like Hulu), will soon support HDMI 1.4, will soon support 3D HD video and 3D Blu-rays, and can be had for under $300. Oh, it plays HD games (which is media right?) too.

Yeah, I know a lot of people here hate it, but it is a good deal...maybe one of the best.

What is the second sentence in the OP's first post?

If the ps3 played blu ray iso rips every other media player would probably fall by the wayside..until then, there is my Dune base. Love it!

·
Registered
734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkat1127 /forum/post/18155557

Suntan is for the most part 100% correct.

Look for yourself on Wikipedia, it tells you the options to transport are 6 to 8 RCA if the player decodes and uses it's DAC or HDMI from player to AVR for decoding and AVR DAC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS-HD_Master_Audio

and here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_true_hd

Even lower AVR models now include DTS MA or TRUEHD. My 2007 Onkyo 605 was the first to have it and it is considered a entry mid-level AVR.

I use CLOWN to demux the TRUEHD track, and create a high bitrate LPCM (typically 6Mb/s) track. My NOONTECH (

·
Registered
734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBurn /forum/post/18156314

Much more info on HD audio contained here:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1064

Much of what is written in the link you provided is wrong.

SPDIF was the ducksnuts before HDMI audio.

Before HDMI, SPDIF was the only game in town for consumers, and as such the SPDIF spec supports supports 24bit audio, 48khz, 7.1 channels, uncompressed LPCM, but it is not guaranteed that your AMP can decode the full SPDIF spec.

But, I seem to recall that SPDIF was limited to approx 6.5Mb/s, which is ok, as all the TRUEHD tracks I have demuxed (so far) have resulted in an approx 6Mb/s 5.1 LPCM that my amp happily plays.

BTW, I have a $10K+ Amp and speaker setup; 2x Duntech PCL5s + 3x VAF I91s + M&K sub (forget which one) + Yam DSPA1 amp + Felston DD740 delay line for AV synch.

The DD740 passes through the 6Mb/s optical SPDIF LPCM to the Yam AMP - no problem.

For all the nasayers, I suggest you try it before you claim it doesn't work, as this process is working fine for me.

Info @ wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lpcm

add - over at the CLOWN forum, lots of people are doing what I am doing.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 /forum/post/18155630

What is the second sentence in the OP's first post?

If the ps3 played blu ray iso rips every other media player would probably fall by the wayside..until then, there is my Dune base. Love it!

True, but it's coming soon which is the best part of the PS3 (there are lots of people working on ways to improve it..as I mentioned before 3D HD!). I really don't like ISO though because of the wasted space and the junk you have to go through just to watch the movie
. I just want the movie and not all the other junk. If I need that, I just insert the disc.

As for HD audio, I use eac3to.exe to demux the True-HD, DTS-HD and other audio formats to .pcm format.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepster returns /forum/post/18157762

Much of what is written in the link you provided is wrong.

No actually it is all correct that I can see. You have an interesting workaround that some stereo's can deal with but it is a workaround meaning you are going to be working to get around the problem that SPDIF does not support TrueHD or DTSHDMA.

It is an interesting thought that my old Yamaha HTR 5490 would have worked that way but then I think about redoing all the disks I have and I am totally glad I got a Onkyo HTRC180 for TrueHD and DTSHDMA, among other things.

Oh and my Dune gets here Friday so that's my vote for this thread.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.