AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best Infared Remote to use with Windows XP Pro?

I have Windows XP Pro and a Harmony H1. I don't have Windows Media center but I want to get a good infared remote to use with the computer and the Harmony. What remote should I get?

I have a Blu-ray/HD-DVD drive, the ASUS XONAR HDAV HDMI 1.3, PowerDVD 8, and ArcSoft's TMT that I would like to use with the remote. What is my best option to use with the components above?

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Get yourself a front end utility like Girder (costs money) or a freeware app like EventGhost as well as a compatible IR receiver (USB-UIRT, MCE remote, etc.) and you can use whatever IR remote you like. The IR receiver detects the IR commands and the front end utility maps the commands to any keyboard, mouse, or Windows command you want. Since virtually all Windows programs have keyboard shortcuts, it's a simple task of mapping the buttons on the remote to a specific command the PC will recognize. You can also program a series of commands (i.e., macros) to perform a specific task.

I'd recommend any decent universal remote that has a database of component IR codes preprogrammed into it. A universal learning remote can be used for maximum flexibility and customization. Select any device that has enough buttons to match all of the commands you want to use for any given app and you're all set. I chose a Panasonic combo VCR/DVD recoprder since it has more than enough buttons (i.e., IR command codes) to handle any number of commands I want to program into it.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/15555438

Is there a cheap way to convert an RF signal to infrared? Do any brick and mortor stores sell a solution for that?

I haven't seen them at stores for awhile, haven't really looked either but the Terk Leapfrog remote extender might work for you. It has a transmitter and reciever for converting IR to RF then back to IR. You can get them for less than $20 online.

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/15555438

Is there a cheap way to convert an RF signal to infrared? Do any brick and mortor stores sell a solution for that?

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I bet what you want doesn't exist. If you have, for example, an RF remote that's made to work with a certain Consumer Electronics device, then there's no sort of universal rf receiver that can turn that into an IR signal. Universal RF remotes (Harmony 890, Universal Remote Control MX series of remotes) are made to work with their respective RF receiving unit. These units convert the RF signal into IR signals, but again, you have to use the one that is made to work with your remote.

I hope that answers your question. As mentioned above, there are IR extender units that convert an IR signal to RF, then back to IR, but I'm not sure that's what you are looking for.

PS I'll throw out another vote for Girder (what I use) or Eventghost. They are great programs that let you do almost anything you can think of with almost any IR remote.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
if you want good out of the box support for your software, that doesn't require hours of frustrating setup to get it to work check out streamzap: http://www.streamzap.com/

out of the box, the streamzap desktop software that takes in the IR commands, and then sends those commands to the software supports over 150 individual peices of software.

Basically you plug in the USB IR receiver, install the desktop software, program your harmony to work with the streamzap (which is in the harmony database) and your good to go.

- Josh

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a good RF remote that I would like to program my Harmony to use. Is there anything that will take the Harmony IR signal and convert it to IR and then send that to the RF receiver on my computer? Preferably for around $30.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/15561473

I have a good RF remote that I would like to program my Harmony to use. Is there anything that will take the Harmony IR signal and convert it to IR and then send that to the RF receiver on my computer? Preferably for around $30.

Most likely no, the problem is unless the RF on the remote is a standard like blue tooth, then no and even then the only IR to BT devices I have seen are for sony PS3's.

- Josh

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/15561473

No, there is no such device. RF signals are not universal in that way. If you want to use your Harmony One, then I suggest you get either an MCE IR receiver or a USB-UIRT IR receiver. Those are two popular, well supported USB IR receivers. I would say it's a toss up between the two, but if you want to ever use MS' Media Center, then get the MCE IR receiver. You have lots of choices when it comes to getting your computer to do what you want with the IR signal it receives. I already gave my vote (girder or eventghost) but there are several other solutions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts