AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a plasma and OLED guy and I've never seen a LCD display that I thought produced an acceptable picture quality but I am definitely open to the possibility that things have changed since I've looked into it.

What would the general consensus be on the best LCD ever made.

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the Sony Z9D. I saw it at Best Buy once and I thought it was better then the OLED's there.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I'll have to take a look at that one. I'm definitely open to giving them another chance. It's been quite a few years since I've even considered one.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
That is the Sharp Elite Pro which is a 1080p TV. Was actually the first (and last) LCD that won the VE Shootout. You met Makaveddie81 on the Plasma Forum, he is very happy with his Sharp Elite Pro. You had that Pioneer engineers working on latest gen Panasonic Plasma's. They worked also on the Sharp Elite Pro, ''Elite Pro'' in the name is Pioneer Plasma related. Now they are part of Panasonic OLED team.

The ZD9 is highly likely the best 4K LCD.

But with miniLED LCDs coming/improving and Dual Layer LCD coming/improving at some point others will take over..

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the Sharp Elite Pro which is a 1080p TV. Was actually the first (and last) LCD that won the VE Shootout. You met Makaveddie81 on the Plasma Forum, he is very happy with his Sharp Elite Pro. You had that Pioneer engineers working on latest gen Panasonic Plasma's. They worked also on the Sharp Elite Pro, ''Elite Pro'' in the name is Pioneer Plasma related. Now they are part of Panasonic OLED team.

But with miniLED LCDs coming/improving and Dual Layer LCD coming/improving at some point others will take over..
I've been interested in this one for quite a while and have been keeping my eye open for one but they seem almost impossible to find.

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Generally speaking how are black levels on modern LCDs?

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
It's hard to get into comparing technologies though. I have the brand new TCL 75R635 and of course it's not exactly OLED, it's probably 90% of OLED picture quality but it's way, way cheaper. I never would have believed it before I got it. 3 years ago I would have been caught dead with a TCL but here I am. I have one and I absolutely love it.

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's hard to get into comparing technologies though. I have the brand new TCL 75R635 and of course it's not exactly OLED, it's probably 90% of OLED picture quality but it's way, way cheaper. I never would have believed it before I got it. 3 years ago I would have been caught dead with a TCL but here I am. I have one and I absolutely love it.

I don't know much about that brand other than I have heard some good things about it. At least some of their models.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
Generally speaking how are black levels on modern LCDs?
For best blacks you need a VA panel (off axis not so good) and zones (with zones comes blooming also zones are to big that is why miniLED is here to do something about it. miniLED can take LCD from like 500 to 5,000 zones.For starters folks are very impressed with chinese miniLED blacks, that stuff is kind of new and still has issues though).

Folks commenting on LCD often depent on viewing environment...like watching TV in the dark/semi dark.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I don't know much about that brand other than I have heard some good things about it. At least some of their models.
I would have never even thought about buying one a few years ago but my father in law has the last year's 5 series and it impressed be think l enough that I started to warm up to the idea. Now with Mini-LED and the picture quality I can't be happier. Only had a few weeks now but I'm very, very impressed and happy. Huge screen with that quality for that price is hard to beat.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
It is not a good time for a new LCD right now with miniLED being the revived FALD. miniLED is second gen now i think(chinese miniLED that is). Samsung will launch minLED stuff next year so that will be interesting. Also plan is to launch a chinese Dual Layer LCD in the USA this year( which was launched in China last year). Dual Layer LCD will become the LCD black champ right away. It has way better contrast than all other LCD tech variations.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I would say the 75Z9D

Reactions: RobKnapp

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I have a Sammy UN55RU8000 i got last year. Been fine so far other than it comes back on after you power it off sometimes. It is only used for OTA- HD and DVD's of Dallas. Much better than LED's of the past. If want to look at BD's and 4k i use my bedroom Sony 65" A1E OLED.

·
Registered
765 Posts
That is the Sharp Elite Pro which is a 1080p TV. Was actually the first (and last) LCD that won the VE Shootout
Regarding the Elite Pro, as fine of a TV as it is, being the last LCD to beat OLED doesn’t really mean much in the context of best LCD ever made. OLED was in its retail infancy at that time.

I’m pretty sure the Z9D smokes the Sharp Elite Pro. I’ve never seen an Elite Pro, so there could be factors I’m not aware of, but just looking from an SDR standpoint, the Elite Pro calibrated contrast ratio doesn’t seem to be that great compared to modern LCD’s (if someone knows the ANSI CR with local dimming on and off,that would be helpful).

The Z9D ANSI CR with LD on is 7200:1

Both TV’s seem to have comparable color accuracy.

The Z9D almost certainly has better motion handling (being specific, the 75” variant).

The 3D on the Z9D is better from a resolution perspective (1080p to both eyeballs vs 540p on the SEP).

I guess it’s clear that my opinion is that the Z9D is the best LCD TV ever made. If I could get a 100Z9D I would.I’m lucky enough to have the 75” variant.

If I wasn’t a 3D fan, then there may be newer UHD contenders, but even then I’m not sure any of them pull off SDR as well.

Reactions: DJR662 and RobKnapp

·
Registered
765 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I'm a plasma and OLED guy and I've never seen a LCD display that I thought produced an acceptable picture quality but I am definitely open to the possibility that things have changed since I've looked into it.

What would the general consensus be on the best LCD ever made.
I think the Sony Z9D. I saw it at Best Buy once and I thought it was better then the OLED's there.

I'll have to take a look at that one. I'm definitely open to giving them another chance. It's been quite a few years since I've even considered one.
Well, as superb (and arguably thee best LCD ever) as that panel was,
(a) it was never the equal to the OLED that year or now;
(b) you are not going to find this panel for sale other than randomly on-line.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts