AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Well, as superb (and arguably thee best LCD ever) as that panel was,
(a) it was never the equal to the OLED that year or now;
(b) you are not going to find this panel for sale other than randomly on-line.
A. is your opinion. I had limited time with it but when I was at Best Buy it was the best looking display in the entire store and that includes OLED. That also is opinion of course.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
A. is your opinion. I had limited time with it but when I was at Best Buy it was the best looking display in the entire store and that includes OLED. That also is opinion of course.

I really could not care less about ONE Best Buy store in the country, that you walked into (and THAT is giving YOU the benefit of the doubt that YOU were judging correctly ONE store). Yes, I own MY opinion, but it is joined by about virtually every panel reviewer in the country. So yea, I think my “opinion” has more credibility than yours. Again, was that Sony Z9D the best looking in THAT store (what,THREE years ago?). Okay maybe the way those dudes in THAT BB had it tweaked and had a rockin’ 4K UHD disc running in it. I’ll certainly give you that SONY model was absolutely outstanding that year. If you look at Rtings rating of it, there were issues of processing. It does not have an “Ultimate” chip in it.
Regardless, it never rated above top OLEDs in same year, and still does not.

·
Premium Member
6,268 Posts
^remind everyone here what Oled you own🤔

Funniest part about this response is you saying your opinion has more credibility than the member you responded too...sorry this argument falls completely flat and is incredibly laughable. Who says that...

Reactions: Style34

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I really could not care less about ONE Best Buy store in the country, that you walked into (and THAT is giving YOU the benefit of the doubt that YOU were judging correctly ONE store). Yes, I own MY opinion, but it is joined by about virtually every panel reviewer in the country. So yea, I think my “opinion” has more credibility than yours. Again, was that Sony Z9D the best looking in THAT store (what,THREE years ago?). Okay maybe the way those dudes in THAT BB had it tweaked and had a rockin’ 4K UHD disc running in it. I’ll certainly give you that SONY model was absolutely outstanding that year. If you look at Rtings rating of it, there were issues of processing. It does not have an “Ultimate” chip in it.
Regardless, it never rated above top OLEDs in same year, and still does not.
Way to turn this thread negative big guy. Was a nice discussion till you entered. You guys all have this fool to blame for this thread turning sideways from here.

·
Premium Member
6,268 Posts
^I couldn't help but chuckle at his involvement in this discussion.

As to the topic the thread, best LCD probably is the Z9D, but out of the ones I've owned the 940e was the best.

Reactions: RobKnapp

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Regarding the Elite Pro, as fine of a TV as it is, being the last LCD to beat OLED doesn’t really mean much in the context of best LCD ever made. OLED was in its retail infancy at that time.

I’m pretty sure the Z9D smokes the Sharp Elite Pro. I’ve never seen an Elite Pro, so there could be factors I’m not aware of, but just looking from an SDR standpoint, the Elite Pro calibrated contrast ratio doesn’t seem to be that great compared to modern LCD’s (if someone knows the ANSI CR with local dimming on and off,that would be helpful).

The Z9D ANSI CR with LD on is 7200:1

Both TV’s seem to have comparable color accuracy.

The Z9D almost certainly has better motion handling (being specific, the 75” variant).

The 3D on the Z9D is better from a resolution perspective (1080p to both eyeballs vs 540p on the SEP).

I guess it’s clear that my opinion is that the Z9D is the best LCD TV ever made. If I could get a 100Z9D I would.I’m lucky enough to have the 75” variant.

If I wasn’t a 3D fan, then there may be newer UHD contenders, but even then I’m not sure any of them pull off SDR as well.
Folks stated that the Sharp Elite Pro had better contrast than Plasma..for instance C|NET review. Also is stated that ZD9 was near Plasma levels. So i am not so shure if ZD9 has better contrast (with LD turned on that is) than the Sharp Elite Pro..might be close though..of course SDR performance only. Also viewing angle is important here in which the ZD9 was not good at. Folks connected viewing angle issues with use of Backlight Master Drive technique. This means that any viewing angle improvements made since Sharp Elite Pro were undone. Folks talked about Sharp Elite Pro using a trick not turning dark areas fully off when using zones giving it better contrast.

How they compare does not matter much no more, a Dual Layer LCD launch is expected soon. That TV will have better blacks than both TVs..not talking about baby steps here.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Way to turn this thread negative big guy. Was a nice discussion till you entered. You guys all have this fool to blame for this thread turning sideways from here.

Your definition of objective and factual apparently is “sideways.” Facts are not a “negative” and to make claim that the Z9D was superior to OLED panels might be someone’s “personal opinion” (although it is a very small minority opinion). You want to say that the Z9D was the best LCD panel. Okay, sure. But it was NOT the equal of the better OLED then, not now. If my lending some objectivity to the discussion rubs a couple of you the wrong way, live with it ! You turned this into a struggle.
Check Rtings for that period. They may not be perfect but they can tell the difference between the plasma and that Z9D. And if you want a second source, check the respected Value Electronics annual shootout that year. The winner was NOT the Z9D.
You have a right to your own “opinion.” You do not have a right to make up your own “facts.”

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
^remind everyone here what Oled you own🤔

Funniest part about this response is you saying your opinion has more credibility than the member you responded too...sorry this argument falls completely flat and is incredibly laughable. Who says that...
What panel I have or do not have sitting in my living room is extremely immaterial. I do not own a BMW, but I can take one apart and put it back together in perfect working order. That was a pretty inane comment.
What is funny is that you do not have the ability to discern the difference between the spelling of “to” and “too.”
You suggest that everyone’s “opinion” is equally credible! LOL. That’ll conclude my attempt at having anything beyond a Junior H.S. discussion with you. Out.

·
Premium Member
6,268 Posts
^oh is this Grammer school🤣🤣🤣 Thanks for the lesson between "to, and too" as if I'm the only member on AVS to make that kind of error. Saying that you can take a BMW apart and put back together, is that supposed to mean something🤔 That comment right there has no bearing here and doesn't prove the point your "attempting" to make. Instead of using rtings or the shootout why not speak from experience...🤔 Still don't know why your responding here when you really don't have much to offer in regards to the topic. As an Oled guy I would have loved to own a Z9D.

·
Premium Member
6,268 Posts
Your definition of objective and factual apparently is “sideways.” Facts are not a “negative” and to make claim that the Z9D was superior to OLED panels might be someone’s “personal opinion” (although it is a very small minority opinion). You want to say that the Z9D was the best LCD panel. Okay, sure. But it was NOT the equal of the better OLED then, not now. If my lending some objectivity to the discussion rubs a couple of you the wrong way, live with it ! You turned this into a struggle.
Check Rtings for that period. They may not be perfect but they can tell the difference between the plasma and that Z9D. And if you want a second source, check the respected Value Electronics annual shootout that year. The winner was NOT the Z9D.
You have a right to your own “opinion.” You do not have a right to make up your own “facts.”
And what facts was he "making" up? Who are we to tell him what he can and can't opine...maybe go back to taking apart BMW's. You might have more success there...

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
It's not your opinion or what you wrote, it's the tone, the negative tone and absolute in your response. You turned this negative and I don't know you but suppose you do this often to threads. You are what ruins AVS, you are the exact problem with AVS.
You want smart helpful answers you go to Audioholics. You want smart helpful answers you come and then some jerk like you shows up and ruins things. This kinda crap never, ever happens on Audioholics.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
What panel I have or do not have sitting in my living room is extremely immaterial. I do not own a BMW, but I can take one apart and put it back together in perfect working order. That was a pretty inane comment.
What is funny is that you do not have the ability to discern the difference between the spelling of “to” and “too.”
You suggest that everyone’s “opinion” is equally credible! LOL. That’ll conclude my attempt at having anything beyond a Junior H.S. discussion with you. Out.
Your a jerk. You ruined a nice discussion, congratulations. Every post now it's negative, and defensive by you. You are a typical AVS troll that they refuse to clean up.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
By the way my TCL is better than OLED it's 90% of the performance and 1,399 for a 75 inch. Suckers buy OLED. 5 grand for 77 inch.
Look at the negativity you brought to this thread because I, because I, ME said the Z9D looked better than the OLED's. I didn't say a magazine or a retailer said it, I said it.
Defensive is your middle name. You have stock in LG?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
That is the Sharp Elite Pro which is a 1080p TV. Was actually the first (and last) LCD that won the VE Shootout. You met Makaveddie81 on the Plasma Forum, he is very happy with his Sharp Elite Pro. You had that Pioneer engineers working on latest gen Panasonic Plasma's. They worked also on the Sharp Elite Pro, ''Elite Pro'' in the name is Pioneer Plasma related. Now they are part of Panasonic OLED team.

The ZD9 is highly likely the best 4K LCD.

But with miniLED LCDs coming/improving and Dual Layer LCD coming/improving at some point others will take over..
I was about to say the same thing.
My friend had one and it floored me and I had a VT30 at the time and thought that was the best you could get at the time.
The best motion I had ever seen on an LCD, FALD with almost zero blooming and interpolation feature that worked without crazy artifacts.

When Magnolia began clearing them out the same buddy called me and told they had an open box for around $850 (60”).
I drove straight there and it was gone before I hit the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
I don't want to get in the middle of a fight here but I own both the 70" Elite Pro and a 75" Z9D. I was blown away by the performance of the Elite for a number of years and when I wanted to upgrade my lower level room I went looking for something that would perform at the level of the Elite and it wasn't until the Z9D came along that I found the TV I was looking for. I appreciate the technology and picture quality of the OLED's and if it were not for the fact that burn in concerned me due to my wife and I's viewing habits I would have considered one just to see what I thought. I also like the brightness the LCD's provide. We like to watch a lot a HDR (obviously not on the Elite). If the real question here is which LCD is best I would have to say until some of the new LCD tech comes out that surpasses both the Elite and Z9D these stand as my choice for best LCD's to date. And they are 3D as well. I watch both of mine regularly and like to switch back and forth just because they are both so good. I really hope that some of the new tech will surpass the performance of the Elite and Z9D as I really like to buy TV's but I will never give up either of my existing TV's. I'll just have bigger TV's in the bedrooms. Keep the discussion going. Thanks and take care.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
My late Z9D was the only LCD which checked the following boxes. Minimal blooming, good contrast, great shadow detail, super high peak brightness, accurate color. Everything else has tradeoffs.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I too would put a vote for the Z9D, but may be a little biased as I do own it. When i made the purchase I was at the store for hours comparing the other ones next to it and it just stood out compared to the others in the showroom and store. I sometimes wonder if its time to buy an OLED then i pop in a movie or 4k demo and it continues to impress me and blow me away, the colors and everything are just amazing. Sure, i do see some small amount of light bloom but I don't even notice it as I just feel immersed in the movies.

·
Registered
261 Posts
arguably the best LCD's are not in the consumer space: Panasonic's light modulating cell based mastering monitors (Eizo, FSI, Sony), FSI's 2000+ zone, 3000 nit XM310K etc.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts