AVS Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Really? That’s better than the Z9G?
No way. While the 85" X850G is a VA panel with good black levels, it doesn't have any local dimming and isn't anywhere near as bright as the Z9G. IMO, the 85" X850G is a decent TV at the right price, provided HDR is not a priority, but it isn't a top performer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Funny to see this thread cause I was thinking the same question recently. And agree with the general consensus that the Z9D is the best LCD consumer tv made to date. But that begs the question. That's a late 2016 model. HDR was in its infancy. How is it that follow ups since then remain so relatively inferior? Even Sony follow up models have failed to match the Z9D. Backlight drive(or whatever that was called) was supposed to be the next great technology that would make its way down the product line. And by all accounts, it is a great technology. Yet it was\is sparingly employed in post Z9D models. And it's exceedingly puzzling. They (Sony) have a winner and they seemingly distanced themselves since from the very properties that made it great (i.e. high native contrast, peak brightness, high # of dimming zones, etc). Now we get disappointing peak brightness, subpar native contrast (in favor of marginally improved angles), and (sometimes shockingly) limited dimming zones. And that backlight drive technology thing seems nearly non-existent. I just don't get it. Was it just too expensive to make? And it's not that their newer models are bad, just inferior and increasingly compromised. It's exceedingly puzzling.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts