AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted the other night saying I was going to replace my NEC 42MP3 with a Panny. After some research and thought, I am leaning towards replacing my MP3 with another NEC. I already have a wall mount and I have been happy with my NEC. Too bad it went bonkers on me.

Anyway, I am looking at both 42" and 50". Any reason to consider one more than the other? That is besides the cost and screen size. I can figure that out.

Would the PlasmaSync 42XM2 be the top of the line 42" and the one to go for?

Also, has anyone seen the silver ones yet? I assume there are no differences except the color of the bezel?

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey there!

I too am looking for the best NEC. At this time, the NEC 42XM2 is the best, howeverI am waiting for the 42XM2/s (silver bezel) to arrive. There is one major difference between the 42XM2 and the "/s" . The "/s" has a HDCP DVI port where the black 42XM2 does not. They market the silver bezel more toward the home theatre in Europe rather than commercial.

Why do you want a HDCP (high definition copyright protection) enabled DVI port? Because it is DVI gives you the absolute best picture quality at this time and the media world is worried that people will start making "perfect" copies of digital broadcasts. To prevent this, there is talk about implementing copyright protection over broadcast signals (i.e digital cable & satalite). If they start to encrypt High Definition broadcasts and you don't have the "KEY" (a HDCP enabled DVI or HDMI port)....you will only be able to get the lesser quality component video feed. Someone will likely come up with a hack...but most people are recommending you buy a HDCP enabled High Definition display if you are interested in achieving the best picture quality possible in the future. DVD players and Satelite receivers will all soon have these ports on them.

I hope this helps!

Cheers!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very helpful. Thank you.

When are the /S models coming? Has there been any pricing info released? I'm wondering if they will cost more than their black bezeled counterparts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yipeee!

Earlier today I spoke with mt sealer in Canada and he told me that he was fairly certain the 42XM2/s just came available. I asked him to call his NEC rep, and found out they are taking orders and the product is available now!!!!

I'm just doing a little more last minute research, but I think this will be the monitor for me.

My only concern is that all the latest CES 2004 reviews state that it is going to be mandated for all HD tv's to have built in tuners. The NEC's don't have that. It's probably not a big deal though since should still always be Satelite and digital cable tuners available....it just means spending more money.

BTW, I was told that there is likely no difference in price.

Cheers!

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Tuner mandate phases in this year.

Plasmas are weird as many are sold as monitors, not TVs... Especially NEC.

If you have satellite, you'll always need a box.

If you have a PVR, the same (pretty much).

If you have cable, next year you won't need a box -- unless you want an interactive, 2-way service like VOD, then you'll still need one.

Mark

·
Registered
733 Posts
Bottomline.

If you (1) own a plasma and (2) register and post on this forum, then you are sick in the head like the rest of us, will always require additional gizmos hooked up to the display, and therefore will always require a box.:D ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
i wanted to say how excited i was to see someone posting about NEC plasmas on the forum. i found a "used" 61-MP1 about 15 months ago and have been enjoying it ever since.

i find the pq and size to be exactly what i was hoping for.

i broke all the rules transporting it home in back of a jeep out of the box. also i have had it up and down on the wall mount a couple of times. i feel lucky that i did not experience any problems with the unit.

i have a dvi input with no hdcp support. the cable length restriction of the dvi cable keeps me from going with DVI. it would really have to improve pq for me to even try a long DVI cable run.

again it is nice to know NEC has been chosen by a few others.

·
Registered
120 Posts
hehe yup

when you sign up for this forum, you just go crazy. Its like the more you read, you discover that you need more things than you would have otherwise. But who cares, we're the people with the best picture!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AVphilewanab
most people are recommending you buy a HDCP enabled High Definition display if you are interested in achieving the best picture quality possible in the future.
The counterpoint to this is that if/when they try to start encrypting signals, MANY people - who just spent big noney on displays WITHOUT HDCP - are going to kick and scream (and possibly get this VERY BAD IDEA stopped). Personally, I'd rather be in their camp than in the camp of all those who are making this possible/likely by buying HDCP enabled hardware. I say we boycott HDCP and fight the good fight.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
" I say we boycott HDCP and fight the good fight."

The fight is over. Be a martyr, and miss some content.

No reason to do this. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Sorry, but I disagree. In the first place, I won't *miss* any content - component outputs aren't going away any time soon - WAY too many display devices without DVI for that to happen. In the second place, the fight isn't over 'til it's over, and it won't even begin (in earnest) until they start to turn on those flags (and millions of consumers start to kick and scream.) The first to try it will be the first to be boycotted.

All that aside, did you learn nothing from DeCSS? HDCP *will* be cracked, but not before there's any real motivation to do so.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
HDCP might never be cracked in a usable format.

You can use your component inputs now. But what about HD-DVD? Are you sure you'll use them then? I think it's not a given.

Furthermore, you already can't use most of the upsacling DVD players.

And you already can't use the digital output of DirecTV's boxes that are misbehaving a bit (turning on HDCP willy nilly). In fact, it may just prove easier for all DVI set-top boxes to always enforced HDCP rather than switch it on and off. "Orphaning" a few thousand people with HD-compatible, but not HDCP-compatible DVI ports is not something anyone is worried about.

You are a one-man protest on a lost battle. Your advice is a bit treacherous.

Folks, buy HDCP today. Fight the fair-use battle in some other fashion.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
You can use your component inputs now. But what about HD-DVD? Are you sure you'll use them then? I think it's not a given.
And I think the extent to which a digital signal is superior to an analog signal is far, far overestimated.
Quote:
Furthermore, you already can't use most of the upsacling DVD players.
Funny you would specifically mention that... The Momitsu V-880 is one upscaling DVD STB already available that will send a DVI output from an HDCP encoded disc to a non-HDCP compliant digital display device!
Quote:
"Orphaning" a few thousand people with HD-compatible, but not HDCP-compatible DVI ports is not something anyone is worried about.
On whose behalf are you speaking? And where do you get your numbers? You call my advice treacherous, yet you make these broad, sweeping - baseless - statements?!?!
Quote:
You are a one-man protest on a lost battle.
Virtually everyone who owns an HTPC is likely to share my sentiments, and in case you hadn't noticed, that's BY FAR the largest forum on AVS. This battle has yet to even begin in earnest, and with products like the Momitsu and the proposed analog HD capture/encoder card, we're already WINNING.
Quote:
Folks, buy HDCP today.
Yeah, folks. Rush right out and do that. Nevermind that you spent $20K on a 60" plasma just 2 years ago - go out and replace it. Rogo knows EVERYTHING. Listen to him.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I don't know everything Elvis. And I never said I did.

But this issue is totally black and white. Buy a set without HDCP and you won't have digital input of at least some sources -- maybe many.

That's just plain pointless and you recommending it to people is downright bizarre and unhelpful.

And I have no idea what this has to do with HTCP's. There is nothing about HDCP that stops it from working like regular DVI -- if there are any issues there, it's that the mfr. chose not to support PC resolutions.

The Momitsu and other "illegal" DVD players are a fine hack for now, but they won't be around for HD-DVD.

Also, in the real world, the Samsung and Denon are outselling the Bravo and the Momitsu.

I never, ever said to go replace a 2-year-old display, the discussion is about what to buy now. And it's totally obvious, buy a set with HDCP. Period. End of discussion.

Elvis, your sarcasm is not warranted, not appreciated, not necessary. And your attempts to twist my words are offensive.

[Aside: Name all the displays with DVI, but not HDCP. There aren't many, they are owned by the few, and they will essentially not be supported. In fact, some of the DVI ports >>only

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Mark-

You see this issue as "totally black and white"; I do not. Nothing I can say will convince you otherwise, and vice versa. You're entitled to your opinion, and no matter how much I disagree with you, I will not tell you that the expression of that opinion is bizarre and unhelpful.

But I, too, am entitled to my opinion, and I have a tendency to see red when people declare a subject as "cut and dried" and flatly dismiss opposing points of view as wholly and completely invalid. This caused me to speak overly harshly, and for that, I apologize.

You're a good guy and an asset to this community. (Even if you are totally wrong and unintentionally misleading people on this issue. ;) :D)) I won't debate this with you further. Let's just agree to disagree and be done with this. :)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I'm happy to be done.

The reason I think your opinion is irresponsible is because you're handing out purchase advice people are likely to regret.

You can now buy all the NEC plasmas >>with

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Why do all the NEC threads denegrate to discussions about hdcp? The new models are hdcp compliant.

I think it's just Panasonic owners envy of the wonderful quality and features of the NEC plasma sets.

I think more than a few Fujitsu supporters would be shocked to see how poorly their 42" Alis panels match up to the HD NECs.

I'm starting to reload my piggy bank now for a 61" NEC. About 18 months ought to do it. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.