AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my Pioneer 6070 just got a splinter in it due to my kids being kids.

After I buried their bodies in the back yard, I realized that I will need to get a new TV.

I have several LCDs in my home, and none of them were as good as the 6070 Pioneer, so I'm thinking that I want to replace it with another plasma.

Still, it was easy a few years ago - if you want the best image quality, get the Pioneer.

Up to a couple of years ago, Panasonic was a clear winner for second best looking display.

Now though, I'm just not sure if I should be looking at Samsung or Panasonic for best overall image quality.

It is going into a family room, so daylight is reality as well. But, I will suffer a bit during the day, if the image is better at night.

I'm not thinking LG or Toshiba but sticking with Panny or Samsung.

Price, is always a concern, but I'm expecting to spend $3,000ish and have some leeway if it is warranted.

I have no requirements for Internet capabilities, I do use component video so quality handing of my analog HD signal is a must.

Options:

Panny - 65ST30

Panny - 65VT30

Samsung - 64D7000

Samsung - 64D8000

Other?

I appreciate the feedback and wish that a Pioneer 151 was actually affordable somewhere right now.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Depending on who you ask, the VT30 are the current top of the line. Samsung is close on its tail and many would give the edge to Samsung.

With Samsung, you have to worry about peeling screens (which is claimed to be fixed) and loud fans.

Panasonic seems to have IR issues and rising black levels (which some claim is no longer an issue or isn't an issue with the VT line).

Good luck trying to sort this out.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IR issues?

I'm thinking of the VT perhaps and I have a control system so I am currently using serial control to turn on/off the Pioneer and to switch inputs as necessary. Pretty sure the VT supports RS-232 control.

Still, it's not a requirement for me to use RS-232 control, just a plus.

I certainly wouldn't expect a peeling screen on a plasma, or much fan noise.

EDIT: Slap forehead - Image Retention! I was thinking InfraRed, as if there is a remote control issue of some sort. I have not heard of Image Retention issues being a deal at all with Panasonics. We do very little video gaming, and if we were, then it would be on one of the LCDs in the house.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have no idea what the Panasonic "IR" issues are. I have a 65VT30 and have experienced no IR. I did not prep it using any slides and I watch sports (baseball and now football) almost exclusively on it. When I am not watching sports, I am watching channels with static images in the lower right corner. That being said, I inspect the panel all the time for IR and have seen 0 incidences of IR on my set. I really would not worry about IR unless you (or your kids) plan on doing hard core (5+ hour sessions) gaming. Certainly IR on this panel is no worse than on any other and for me has not been a problem at all.

I believe that it does support the RS-232 control as I am pretty sure I have seen an input on the back, but would have to look later to confirm.

No one has seen rising blacks on 2011 Panasonic plasma panels. They just have not been recorded, so I have no idea what KidHorn is referring to. Perhaps the 2010 line...

There has been an issue with fluctuating brightness, but this was due to faulty firmware on the A-Board. New VT30s do not have this problem. Old ones no longer have the problem if the A-Board (or its firmware) is replaced. I was experiencing FBR but after having my A-Board replaced (under warranty) the set is 100% FBR free. This (and the reports of others) would lead me to believe that as a purchaser today, you don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm sure you've read the CNET reviews . If you want the very best image quality, go with the Panasonic 65vt30. If you want very best value, go with the Samsung 64d7000. It's about 2/3ds the price, and most would never be able to distinguish a difference in image quality. The vt30 will exceed your budget of $3000, whereas the d7000 will come in significantly under budget.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Best picture: Panasonic VT30/Samsung D8000

Next Best: Samsung D7000/Panasonic GT30

Next Next Best: Panasonic ST30/Samsung D6500

Best value is up to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/20879904

Panasonic seems to have IR issues and rising black levels (which some claim is no longer an issue or isn't an issue with the VT line).

What are you talking about? Please provide a source, since I have seen no IR issues or rising black levels on the VT30, or any 2011 Panasonic.

·
Banned
345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated /forum/post/20879921

IR issues?

I'm thinking of the VT perhaps and I have a control system so I am currently using serial control to turn on/off the Pioneer and to switch inputs as necessary. Pretty sure the VT supports RS-232 control.

Still, it's not a requirement for me to use RS-232 control, just a plus.

I certainly wouldn't expect a peeling screen on a plasma, or much fan noise.

EDIT: Slap forehead - Image Retention! I was thinking InfraRed, as if there is a remote control issue of some sort. I have not heard of Image Retention issues being a deal at all with Panasonics. We do very little video gaming, and if we were, then it would be on one of the LCDs in the house.

Hop on over to the Master Burn-In sticky! There are some people reporting some Nasty IR with Panasonic Panels. Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also trying to decide between the Panasonic GT30 and the Samsung D8000 in the 65-inch size range. I know about the peeling issue on the Samsungs, but I am hoping it will be fixed in my purchase. I understand that the GT30 has better black levels, but the Samsung has higher light output. Also, the Panasonic 3D range seems to be limited to around 10 feet. Since my viewing distance is around 15 feet and the tv will be in a well lit room most of the time, is the Samsung the better choice?

·
Registered
6,552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz /forum/post/20881288

Providing sources is only difficult for those who make things up.

I'm just trying to help someone make a decison based on what I've read. Sorry if I offended you in some way. My comments weren't intended for you. I can assure you, I'm not just making things up.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
You aren't helping anyone if you don't provide factual information. I am not offended, I want to read about the claims you are making, which would be significant issues if they were true. Earlier you said that I should "spend time reading posts on this forum." I would love to read posts discussing IR and rising blacks on the 2011 Panasonics, just point me in the right direction. If you can't find it, then don't spread rumors. If you can, then let us know where to look so that we can learn as much as you about the issues.

·
Registered
342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz /forum/post/20880945

Best picture: Panasonic VT30/Samsung D8000

Next Best: Samsung D7000/Panasonic GT30

Next Next Best: Panasonic ST30/Samsung D6500

Best value is up to you.

The Samsung d8000 and d7000 have the same exact picture quality (d8000 does have an enhanced dynamic contrast control, but professional calibrators say you should leave that turned off anyway). That's another reason why the d7000 is such an exceptional value.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I'm torn right now between the 64D7000 and the Sharp 70LE735 LCD... Possibly holding out for the 80LE735. But, not having a TV in our family room is gonna drive me nuts here in the next week or so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.