AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a PVR either a TIVO or Replay, I would like to get users opions who have this setup , of pros and cons.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Some issues for both PVRs:

1. Serial control won't work, so you'll need to use an IR blaster to change channels.

2. The DTC-100 can't output both HD and SD at the same time. When you change to the HD output, your PVR won't be receiving a signal.

3. Of course, that is because neither PVR accepts an HD signal.

4. You'll need the current software update for the DTC-100 if you want to switch between HD and SD modes using the remote.

So, neither will work "better" then the other with the DTC-100. It really comes down to your preference. I personally love my TiVo, and would highly recommend you get one. But look at both, and visit the TiVo and Replay forums here at AVS to get some more info.

What I would recommend is that you get a second receiver. If you go the TiVo route, you have the options of an integrated DirecTV receiver (SD) and TiVo or a standalone DirecTV receiver and TiVo. With Replay you will need a second receiver and the Replay PVR. This option allows you to leave the DTC-100 set to output in HD and gives you a second receiver to record one program while you watch another. The TiVo option also allows you to forgo the IR blaster because the DirecTV receiver with TiVo is integrated, and a standalone TiVo can use a serial cable to control most DirecTV receivers (the DTC-100 being one that can't be serially controlled). Replay doesn't have this option.

I personally have had a DirecTV receiver with TiVo and a DTC-100 for awhile now, and they work great. When I want to watch HD, I switch to the DTC-100, but when I am watching SD I use the DirecTV receiver with TiVo so I can pause/fast forward/rewind/etc. It also allows me to record something on the DirecTV receiver with TiVo while I watch something else on the DTC-100.

Whatever you choose, you will happy you purchased a PVR. I can safely say a PVR has changed the way I watch TV more then HD has.

--Andrew

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
There is something to be said for using an HD STB such as the DTC-100 even when you are feeding it into an NTSC Tivo, in comparison to using a DirecTV/Tivo receiver combination.

The reason is that the HD signal is so much better to begin with that even after you record it on your Tivo (or other recording device), the result is better than if you started with an SD signal.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
You want to explain how you are recording an HD signal on to a tivo?????

First of all you would need component or rgb inputs on the tivo which they don't have. Then they would have to be able to handle the bandwidth, which they can't. Then they would have to have the capacity to store a reasonable amount of HD material, which they don't.

Believe me, I wish it was possible. I currently have two replay units and a DTC-100. I control the DTC with an infrared blaster linked to replay and it works quite well. When watching HD I have to remember to switch back to normal mode or my replay will not record.

[This message has been edited by Free (edited 06-28-2001).]

·
Registered
546 Posts
I believe he means recording an HD broadcast downconverted to 480i, being higher quality than a regular 480i 4:3 program. For example, HBO-HD or local OTA programs.

·
Registered
512 Posts
that's definitely something to keep in mind. if you get a direct tv/tivo box the signal going to the tivo is coming straight from the satelite. the way i have mine set up (a philips 30hr stand alone tivo) my satelite connection goes directly into my echostar 6000 box, which is hooked up to my tv via component cables for hdtv. but to get the signal to the tivo i use s-video cables from the 6000 to the tivo and the degredation of picture quality is pretty bad. basically, for me, if i watch live tv through my tivo it has a lot of crawling vertical lines running over the picture and it is a lot less sharp than the original satelite signal. i can live with it due to the great things you can do with tivo, but don't expect a perfect picture (unless maybe you get the direct tv/tivo combo box like i mentioned. i don't know how those look, but my guess would be better than how mine is looking).

another thing to keep in mind, you WILL become addicted to the tivo service and features and any tv you encounter which does not have a tivo hooked up to it will seem archaic and worthless to you. we had our 10 month old sony svr-2000 go dead on us last weekend and could not comprehend living without it (i seriously suggest you get a good extended warranty from a store such as best buy when you get this item. neither tivo nor sony wished to accept any responsibility for the failure of the sony tivo and basically said if we wanted we could send them the unit along with $100 to receive a refurbished unit back many weeks later. that just wasn't possible for us since a) we couldn't possibly live that long without tivo and b) who knows how long the refurbished unit would last especially since it only came with a 30 day warranty. so we went to best buy and for $200 more than the cost of a refurbished unit we got a philips 30 hr with a 4 year warranty!)

anyway, it's a great product (besides your occasional dead/doorstop unit), and i highly recommend it. but, remember, you were warned of its addictive traits (i have a tendancy to attempt to rewind live radio broadcasts while driving home, stop myself, then think "why can't they make tivo-radios?").

p.s.

i wouldn't go with replay tv since if they ever stop providing their service for any reason your unit will be good for nothing beyond holding doors open in your house. the tivo on the other hand (as long as the hard drive does not become currupt like mine did http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif ) can be used to manually record shows like a vcr! very nice

[This message has been edited by tramahound (edited 06-28-2001).]

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
How well does the Avermedia converters work to downconvert HD to S-video?

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
At the risk of degenerating into a topic not appropriate for the HDTV forum......

Replay Tv has a manual record feature and I prefer the straight forward less "Cartoonish" program guide and navigation. Also I couldn't live without my "Quick Skip" button http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

However,I don't think you can get a Replay anymore, just a Showstopper, which is almost identical except(like its name) has Macrovision problems which can prevent you from viewing some program material.

[This message has been edited by Free (edited 06-28-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.