AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on finishing my basement and of course, planning for a small home theater.

I plan on wall-mounting my Samsung LN-T4053H and placing my Receiver, Sat Box, DVD Player and PS3 in a near by closet that I am currently outfitting to do a good job hiding my components.

But that means that I need to get the signals from my Harmony 880 remote into the closet.

What's the BEST way to do this?

Here's what I've thought of so far:

A perfect solution would have been for my TV to have some sort of add-on cable that could connect to a IR sender. No luck there.

I'm thinking about buying a new Receiver and wondering, does anyone know if any of them have IR extending functionality built in or as an add-on option?

I've seen some of the ugly IR sending / receiving pyramids and am not all that excited about messing up my sleek wall-mount with a pyramid. Are there any "pro" options?

Should I just sell my Harmony 880, buy an 890 that has the extending add-on capabilities and be done with it?

What do you think? Any help is GREATLY appreciated here.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I can't really say what's best, but I went with the 890 and it works just fine for me (receiver, cable box, htpc, dvd and hdmi switch in closet). There are remote extender options other than the pyramids incuding peephole styles and j-box styles. For more info, search the forum for buffalo, xantech or smarthome. Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Userb, thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

I'm not really all that excited about the possibility of spending another couple of hundred bucks on a remote + the extender. But, the 880 really works well so as far as I know that might be the best option.

Thanks for the reply, Userb. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you're set on keeping the 880, then I think your options are clear.

1. Get a wireless extender - X10, Terk, Radio Shack, etc...

or

2. Install a wired extender - Xantech, Buffalo, Hot Link, etc...

With wireless, you'll have a pyramid, box, ufo or some other shape to receive the signal from the remote and transmit to a receiver in the closet. It doesn't necessarily have to be near the tv. As long as it can see the ir signal from the 880, it should be fine.

With wired, you'll have an eye that you install somewhere that is hardwired to a receiver in the closet.

If I were in your situation:

-Existing 880 that you want to keep

-Working on finishing the basement, so you're already planning to run wires

...I'd probably take the wired approach with a j-box style receiver and install the receiver on the same wall as the tv but somewhere inconspicuous, like next to a light switch.

Here's an example of one of many different j-box styles: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post11031030

·
Registered
852 Posts
Definitely get the 890 instead of the 880. I have a setup very similar to yours, where I have all of my components in a closet at the back of the room. The 890 with the RF remote extender works flawlessly. I had previously attempted to use IR extenders with another universal remote, but it was unreliable. Now the 890 makes the entire setup a breeze to use.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
userb, thanks for the additional point of view. Hearing bryansj and seplant's suggestions to sell the 880 and go fo rthe 890 make sense and may have swayed my view.

I want something that above all else is reliable and works well. Reading more about how many current IR extenders don't work as well as I would hope makes me think that the out-of-the-box simplicity of the 890 + IR add-on might be the way to go.

I sure don't want the hassle of first trying to sell my 880 and then spending more money on a piece of equipment that I had hoped would last a lifetime, but that's the way things go I guess.

Guys, thanks a lot for your help with this. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Good luck. I've had no problems with my 890. Nothing's forever though. I may be tempted to upgrade if/when an RF version of the Harmony One comes out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
tried the x-10 flaky, got a russound wired setup with plasma proof eye, still flaky. picked up the 890 pro and It works like a charm. using a combo of RF and IR from my bedroom through 2 walls and some furniture back to the cable box. no problems

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Userb, thank-you again. Mauiguy100, this really seals the deal.

I've re-focused my search / reading in other threads to compare the experiences between folks who have an 890 and the extender solutions.

It seems that folks who go with the $100 or more wired IR extenders have ok experiences if they're carefully installed. But I can't find a single person who has had problems with the 890 setup.

Since I want to do it right and think that the remote is a pretty important part of the whole setup, I no longer think that I have a choice. I'll have to figure out a way to get a few bucks for my (almost new) 880 and grab an 890.

Thanks again for your help to realize this guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts