AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm in living in Toronto and I will be purchasing my first rptv in a few months after I move. I'm on a budget of $2500/canadian. What is the best set I can purchase? I'm interested in crt rptv, lcd rptv. Dlp is out of the question since I see rainbows. Here are the sets I'm narrowig down to:

LCD RPTV:

Hitachi 42V515

Hitachi 42V525

Hitachi 50V500

LG RU44SZ80

Panasonic PT43LC14

Sony KF50WE620

CRT PRTV:

Hitachi 57F510

Hitachi 57F520

Panasonic 53WX54

Panasonic PT53X54

Panasonic PT53TW54

Sony KP46WT520

Sony KP51WS520

Samsung HCP5241

Toshiba 44NHM84

Toshiba 65H85C

Can I have your thoughts on these sets and if you can recommend any sets with in my budget, Thanks.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Let's look at the LCD rp sets first.

LG ... by far the worst of this group. Really really weak blacks ...

Panasonic ... better than the LG, but only has mediocre calibration potential.

Hitachi ... all ... good calibration potential

Sony ... best calibration potential ... includes image resizing that can't easily be done with the Hitachis.

DLP ...

The Toshiba 44" is DLP ... made by LG. Rainbows ... so it is out. (I own this one as computer monitor)

CRT

Panasonics calibrate the best of these.

Sony /Hitachi are a really close second.

Toshiba is #3 ... still can be well calibrated but more limited in the service menu.

Samsung ... ??

Regards

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
You can find the Panasonic 50" DLP being cleared out now for just under that price now. Its one of the best HD2+ DLPs and a good deal for that price.

LCDs have the screen door effect, and CRTs are not as sharp.

See if you see rainbows on the Panasonic, it has a 8 segment color wheel, may be different for you than other makers sets.

Check Sears, The Brick, and The Bay all have a few left.

A and B had a sale a couple weeks back at just under that price,

and the others were price matching.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Rainbows are less about the segments on the wheel and more about how fast it turns.

SDE is a non issue at normal viewing distance.

CRT's offer the best images when properly set up. Not as sharp... hardly. But like all sets ... not the best in every situation.

Regards

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV
Rainbows are less about the segments on the wheel and more about how fast it turns.

SDE is a non issue at normal viewing distance.

CRT's offer the best images when properly set up. Not as sharp... hardly. But like all sets ... not the best in every situation.
Yeah, I guess all have good points, more of a personal choice.

I'm lucky not to see rainbows, but I do see SDE at viewing distances. (with the 720p sets anyhow)

After seeing the perfect sharpness of a 1280x720p desktop with 1:1 pixel mapping on the Panasonic DLP it would be hard to enjoy a CRT again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.