AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living room setup. 70" wide (90" diagonal).

Want to use the projector as my all purpose display device - TV, pc games, dvd movies , hence can't / don't want to do away with ambient light.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
You're using the same screen width as I am, growler.

I find my matte white 1.3 gain screen to be ideal with this screen size.

Even in econ mode and with the iris fully kicked in (I understand photographers call this "stopped down") and in this state the projector throwing the least light, I still have a whale of enough light using this screen.

I have no experience with a gray screen so will defer to others as to whether that might be of any any benefit.

Bob

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have the projector yet - actually Bob, you snagged the one I was eyeing :)

Lots of recommendations for the Stewart Firehawk but spending half the projector cost on the screen ...

-fellow cheapskate

·
Registered
51 Posts
I run my HT1000 on a 1.5 gain screen purchased from ProScreen Inc. It's a 4x3 ratio which works great with the proejctor. Expecially for watching cable for sports and xbox gaming. Here's the interesting part, I paid much less than the dalite for an 84" 4x3 with black velvet on the frame. It gets even better, when I opened the screen tube out rolled the vutec briteview screen.

Prior to the screen I projected onto the wall painted ceiling white which was about 1.0 gain. Both the wife and I love the 1.5 gain, since we allow some ambient light in. This setup works well since our kids watch movies on the big screen and prefer some backlighting. The higher gain screen added some punch to the overall picture even with ambient light.

YMMV

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
About ambient light. Yes you can have artifical light on with the HT1000 in an adjoing room but real time daylight sun is a killer. If you're choosing a pull down screen you have only two choices. The Mat White or The High Power because these don't show waves when video is projected. High power gives you much higher whites and Mat White gives you white & darker blacks.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Tom,

The two Dalite matte white pulldowns I've had were loaded with waves.

I'm not even picky when it comes to this but both were so wavy I couldn't stand to use them.

The High Power is the only pulldown I've owned which was tolerable when it comes to waves.

If you got a matte white that didn't have bad waves I think you were very lucky.

Bob

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Good Morning. The key is you can't see waves when video is on them. First screen I had was the dalite video spectra with major v-shaped waves top to bottom very visable when video was shot on it.

The high power and the mat white both don't show the waves they have with video. I showed this in a demo last night to another AVS member. After all the viewing was done, turned on the light and showed him the top to bottom V shaped waves. He was surprised how with video they dissapear.

Anyway this was the Marantz guy (Tom Blake) he was very impressed with the HT1000. Never thought it would look that good and he wants one. Bye bye Marantz 12s2/hello NEC HT1000. Before any Marantz lovers freak out. It's the money level. The NEC is just too good for that cheap.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am blocking daylight with curtains but need to have a lamp on for reading for regular tv viewing.

Also I am thinking of a fixed wall screen so hopefully waves won't be that big of a problem as with a pulldown.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
If you're going fixed the slightly higher gain white screens could be your choice. 1.3 1.5 etc, because you're planning a 70" wide screen.

Any reading light will hv to be in the far back of the room for just about any projector.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Hi Tom- thanks again for your hospitality last night! Needless to say I was very impressed with the HT1000. I knew it would look great on DVD, and it didn't disappoint. I was worried about how sharp HDTV would look coming from an HD2 machine. HDTV didn't have quite the snap as the Marantz S2, but it still looked quite good. I was impressed enough with the HT1000 that I do plan to order one from AVS. I did have the Marantz S2 and loved it. However, for various reasons I needed to pull some money out of my system. I sold it before CEDIA as I was worried resale value would begin to fall with the announcement of the S3. I'm going to follow the same strategy as many forum members of going with a cheaper projector for the next few years, while waiting for a 1080p Sony SXRD (or equivalent) to fall below $10K street. The HT1000 will be a perfect unit to carry me through until that time, especially at it's very attractive price-point (with rebate). Guess we'll have a new member of the HT1000 owners club soon :) Thanks again for the demo Tom!

To get back on topic, I'll be using it on a 106" diagonal 16:9 Stewart Grayhawk. Probably not the most optimal screen to use with the HT1000, but I never had a problem with the S2 on it and the HT1000 seemed brighter even in Econ mode.

Tom

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Tom,

The worst example of when the waves were so noticeable for me was whenever a vehicle was moving across the screen. The straight lines of the car undulate as it goes in and out of the waves. It makes the car almost cartoonish looking.

This is even seen to a lesser degree with the High Power.

It's just another unwanted distraction. Since I started, home theater for me has been a process of eliminating the distractions. Whether it be distractions caused by picture quality issues with a projector. Or room environment. Or screen. Distractions which rob my attention from being immersed in the movie. Screen waves or wrinkles are one of those distractions.

I understand using a pulldown if a fixed mount is just absolutely not an option (as unfortunately it's not an option for me either). But believe me, if there was any way I could instead mount a tautly stretched screen on the wall, then I would never ever opt for a pulldown.

Bob

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Wish I could use a fixed as they look cool nailed to the wall. One advantage I have with the L-brackets and pull down I can switch my two screens very easily.

·
Registered
22,054 Posts
I'm using a Da Lite Cosmo. Electrol screen due to the fact our HT room is also our dining / entertainment room. I have an regular not tensioned matt white screen that got me into this HT hobby, and it didn't have any waves, so it could be just certain material. Of course my tensioned HCCV doesn't have any either.

Saw the Marantz in action yesterday in Folsom at a HT store on a Firehawk. It looked good, but not really any better ( that I could tell ) than my HT1000 / HCCV / D1 setup. I could still see about the same amount of screen door close to the screen as I would see with mine ( but my set up is what - $ 5000 less?)! Of course they both look good at a proper viewing distance.

Watched Gladiator for the first time ever on the HT1000 last night - awesome picture quality ( and great movie )!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I current have a Da-Lite pull-down 52"x92" matte white screen, and it has pretty bad waves. It's tolerable (barely) when viewing from straight on, but when viewed even a little from the side, it's quite distracting. I previously had a pull-down 60"x80" hipower, and I never really noticed any waves on it. When the lights were on, you could see that the screen wasn't perfectly flat, but I never noticed a wave when viewing video. The matte white is much worse in that regard.

Dave

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.