AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really wondering could DIY be better than the expensive fabric from Stewart and the likes?

I have personally started planning for an upgrade from my matt-white Proscreen that I made a frame for cutting the fabric from the manual roller.

Is there a noticeable difference? Between i.e. Goo and Stewart?

What do YOU prefer and why?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I use the Parkland Plastics $13 4x8 screen. Works great for me. Many people report that just a white painted wall works very well. I'd say it's up to you. If you need the "very best" picture and are willing to spend the bucks to get that additional 5% then go right ahead...

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I've used a white wall up until now. I've got a Draper on the way from AVScience, 2.0 gain. We'll see how I like it, and if it really makes that much of a difference.

Screen material is pretty cheap, AVScience sells it for just a few hundred bucks usually, but lots of folks find making their own with Screen Goo is fun and cost effective (and makes a better screen if done right). Me, I just don't have time to track down a Parkland sheet and get it home, or the time to make sure I got a Goo screen correct. (Work far too many hours for that!)

I'm definately interested to see if it really makes a difference.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have a Draper Cineperm wall screen. Works great. I like it because it's washable, easy to care for. And you can simply unsnap it from the frame to remove it if needed & it folds compact. No wrinkles either. Not very expensive compared to Stewart etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I post this is because we all know you pay a certain % for the name, some for the design, and the rest for the essence - the screen?

I've made my own "on the wall frame", it has great tension, i fixed the manual-roller fabric on the frame using Velcro and an outer adjustable frame that holds the fabric in place, plus is covered with black felt... The design and the material were "cheap" but the purpose was the aim - a fixed screen on the wall?

I just think I could do better... (its like with PJs? You never get really satisfied until there are no other upgrade options...) Has anyone done a shootout between different expensive screens and DIYs?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
you might want to check the screen forum, but they sometimes seem to be heavy slanted to digital and the digital upgrade merry go round. :)

silver vutec seems to be in fasion these days, but it is pricey and essentially a giant sheet of cardboard with a foil layer pasted to the front.

with a CRT, some folks do find certain screen surfaces to have better resistance to hotspotting than others...

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Anything other than Studeotech 130 or its equivalent is a travesty with a CRT. The fabric has the maximum gain above which you will get hotspotting plus the fabric enhances the colors where the CRT phosphers are lacking. Joe Kane specked its characteristics and that is good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Wow,

Studiotek 130 senses where your CRT misses on the CIE curve and corrects automatically.:)

Can it do as well on digital?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
This depend's on where you mount your projector. The 1.3 might be a gold standard from a wide viewing cone point of view, but once you try a high gain material you'll never go back!

The Silverstar is for ceiling mounted PJ's and provides the proper angle to the eye and from (my sample only) really magnifies detail at your seating position, whereas the 1.3 your straining to find the detail. This material won't work properly if you floor mount your pj. Forget the 6.0 gain they advertise, it's around 3 subjectively.

That bring's up the High Power that I currently use floor mounted with my

XG135lc. This is the best material for the money when used ONLY when your head is close to the light source, as this material bounces the light straight back to the lense with a very narrow dispersion pattern. No hotspoting whatsoever but a slight color shift side to side.

If you consider those expensive tubes then any of the higher gain's dispersion limitation's are nil, but what you get is the ability to lower your contrast setting keeping it well away from blooming which increases your available detail

The higher gain's in a nutshell help the eye to see small detail and more saturated color's at your seating position than ANY of the lower gain material's. If a super wide viewing cone with lower gain and less pronounced detail is your goal then go with the 1.3

You can forget that Blackout material unless you want to light up the entire room, as it bounces light in every direction. I have a temporary downstair's BO 16/9 with a Barco 1208s/2 I'm playing with. It would be good if your room is painted black with this stuff. Another reason to consider higher gain directional screen material.

I also have a Stewart 2.0 BTW but don't use it anymore because I found it produced a hotspot halo effect in the center of the screen or would follow you as you moved left or right.

My choice anyway would be Silverstar/ceiling or HighPower/floor

IMHO David

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Mark wrote:
Quote:
Anything other than Studeotech 130 or its equivalent is a travesty with a CRT. The fabric has the maximum gain above which you will get hotspotting plus the fabric enhances the colors where the CRT phosphers are lacking. Joe Kane specked its characteristics and that is good enough for me.
I'm using the electric roll down Stewart with the Studiotech 130 screen fabric and for the most part have been very happy with it for a nice smooth uniform look regardless of where you are in the room. It's a 110" 1.78:1 type.

Mine is perforated (they call it Microperf) due to full range center channel audio behind it. Most of the time I don't notice the perforations, but especially during setup and tweaking they are quite noticeable and I can't help but think may be a limiting factor in really high definition (i.e. not DVD) display. But I'm not sure. Anyone have a real-world opinion about this?

--Bill

·
Registered
733 Posts
I looked at the Silverstar screen today. I just can't handle the 3000 USD price tag. I really don't need a wide viewing area. I'm looking for a fixed screen with good gain and no hotspotting in the 1500 USD price range. My PJ is ceiling mounted. I'm thinking about the Da-lite cinema vision but it's gain is only 1.3. I think I need something a little more.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I just want to second Davids (AVWERKS) observation about the Dalite High Power. I too use this with a FLOOR mounted ECP4000. The only "downside" is the colour shift- even then it's really only visible on white fields. There is no hot spotting at all and the brightness is even over the entire screen. Depending on where you sit you might notice a difference in the overall brightness. For example the chair on either side of the PJ has a slightly dimmer view than the ones behind the PJ due the viewing cone angle. For the money though it is a very good buy.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
KBK's crt screen goo for me here. I sprayed it onto the Parkland plastic screen. It looks fantastic, bright image with no hot spotting, and you can't beat the price.

John

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hi,

does anyone know ift there is technical data for the gain-versus-angle curve for various screens?

I mean if there is a graph like those antenna diagrams where you can see the gain in dB with respect to the angle.

Best Regards

Roland

·
Registered
635 Posts
When I first decided to make the switch to CRT from digital, I was told by many to get a 1.3 gain screen. Just for fun after my CRT was set up I decided to put my High Power screen up and it has been up now for over a month. I have a ceiling mounted projector, so I do not realize the full amount of gain, but as others above have stated, I greatly reduced my brightness and contrast settings on the projector, Hopefully extending the life of the tubes. The image has a real punch to it that was not there with the other screen.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have a Draper Cineperm with MD2500 material. It's 16x9, 133" diagonal and a real beauty. I'm in the process of building HT v2.0 and it was the ONLY component I didn't even consider changing.

- Jerry

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I've got some advice for those who need a cheap pulldown screen like the da-lite model B. These are good screens for those non DIY people on a budget.

I've had several of these now and IMO the 1.5 gain version is the better than the common 1.0 matte white. Here is why.

The matte white makes a nice accurate pic with a wide viewing angle but WILL WRINKLE.

The 1.5 gain version of the same screen yeilds a brighter more punchy image. It still has a wide viewing angle but here is the clincher.

It does not wrinkle near as bad as the matte white. The material itself is heavier which is why it does not wrinkle near as bad I think. I've had one up for a year now and if you look, at the back of it there are some tiny ripples detectable near the roller at the top but I've never noticed on video. With the matte white the screen would have ripples noticeable on video within 1 month.

Steve

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BUT?

Is there a way to DIY a High Power screen? Has anyone AB'd GOO and i.e. expensive Draper/Stewart/Da-lite?

If I could I would...

The High Power screens are they kind of directional in the reflective construction? Ceiling vs. Floor mounted PJ?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Dunno, but my Draper was less than $500 new. Smaller sizes should be even cheaper. At that price, it wasn't worth the effort of a DIY for me.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Jerry

So that Draper is a 2.5 gain. Yes/No If yes how do you like the image and have you compared to any other gains?

How is the ripple situation since I've never had a Draper I'd be interested to know.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.