AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if there is a good software that I can purchase to place all my standard, HD and Blue Ray DVD'S on to my own custom built PC to use in my theater?

I liked what RealDVD looked like prior to being banned and looked at servers you can buy with a similar format but I don't need to pay a fortune when I already have most of what I need.

I want to be able to copy my DVD's and maintain the quality to project 1080P on my 14 foot screen and put 100's of DVD's in a crate. Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does Vista Media center allow you to copy DVD to hard drive and play it without DVD in drive? I an make my own browser if it does. but RealDVD would have imported the DVD and categorized it for me.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I checked out XBMC for Windows, but found out how limited it was rather fast. The internal video player was never smooth and support for external players is done with a hack. Plus, you have no support for capture cards if you ever want to through one in the mix. It's a shame because I really did like the interface and menu layouts. As of now, I'm playing around with MediaPortal.

·
Registered
107 Posts
that's a shame. I have been loving it on my old xbox. only limitation is that it cant deal with HD video well to to xbox limitations. I found there were very few video files it would not play back. maybe they are doing something different for windows .

·
Registered
153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by video321 /forum/post/15592744

I checked out XBMC for Windows, but found out how limited it was rather fast. The internal video player was never smooth and support for external players is done with a hack. Plus, you have no support for capture cards if you ever want to through one in the mix. It's a shame because I really did like the interface and menu layouts. As of now, I'm playing around with MediaPortal.

I am not an XBMC user, but I have been researching Media Server software. My understanding is that XBMC is primarily a media player with server features. I would rather use software that is designed as a server from the start.

Another thing I find as I research is that many posters do not understand the difference between server and player software. They call it a server, but when you look at the specs it is apparent it is a player.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your input, awesome, however I have one more question.

I'm currently using Media Browser and My movies 2 as an interface to see what I like best and so far it's Media Browser. So I started copying my 400 DVD's using AnyDVD HD to hard drive and it's amazing how fast you can fill up those 500G hard drives. So with that being said.

What is the best software for ripping only the content you want out and maintain the picture quality and Digital Dolby? Remember, I'm projecting this on to a 14 foot screen.

Test with full copy are awesome but at 7G's, they add up fast. It looks as if I'll give up on my Blu-Ray's as I would just lose too much.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use handbreak to re encode to H264 and AC3 5.1 audio. it can take a 113 min dvd and bring it down to about 700-800 megs. [using 2 pass encoding]depending on the quality. I project on a big screen and it works well for me.

if you want better quality you can increase the size.
http://handbrake.fr/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts