Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for any response.

I am looking for the best source for audio information. It can be a magazine/newsletter, WEB site whatever. I gave up on Stereophile a few years ago and while I still subscribe to TAS, I think there has to be something better.

I have no interest in joining a cause or cult, simply looking for a source, free of bias, of what works best in audio.

Thanks again.

Terry

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
If you're looking for a source free of bias, good luck... there aren't any. If you're looking for the best collection on knowledgeable people, opinions, end user reviews, problem solving potential... look no further, you're here.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I agree on Dr. Tooles papers. Another is from Dennis at www.designcinema.com, ask for his free PDF white papers.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I highly recommend the following:

www.audioperfectionist.com

This is Richard Hardesty's site. He discusses audio theory and set up in significant detail, and I have learned a ton from his journals. My system is set up in accordance with theories that he espouses, and I have never been happier. Journals number 1 and 2 are free, and once you're hooked like me, you can pay for the rest!

BTW, I would caution against believing everything you read in this or any forum. There is a TON of misinformation / black pearls floating around. You never know who you are getting your information from....

Kevin Snyder

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
From Kevin:"BTW, I would caution against believing everything you read in this or any forum. There is a TON of misinformation / black pearls floating around. You never know who you are getting your information from...."

Let the force be your guide, young padiwon.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Filter ... while you're seeking audio advice, a few filters may be helpful:

1. Large room acoustics have radically different problems, issues and solutions then residential sized rooms;

2. Recording studios, mix rooms, and sound stages have radically different requirements than residential sized listening rooms/home theaters;

3. The knowledge skill sets required to be a good (even excellent) speaker designer are different than those required to establish proper room acoustics (not to say that all speaker designers don't have room set up skills);

4. If the advice seems out in left field, appears to violate the laws of physics and mechanics (ie, purple silk scarfs on speaker cable), the information is likely of little value;

5. Keep orders of magnitude in mind...ie, a nano-second delay is not audible;

6. When it is really important to you, or will result in the expenditure of fair sums of money (either to do it, or to redo it), seek advice from a professional with experience in small room acoustics.

7. The Master Handbook of Acoustics is a good reference.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Dennis, what's wrong with: (ie, purple silk scarfs on speaker cable), ? :)

Ray Kimber would love that comment!

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.