AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need all the input I can get. There are so many choices out there...

First which would be better suited for me... a 12" or 15"? The room is about 16x18 ft. And does the receiver have a role in any of this? If any, I'm using the Yamaha HTR-5550.

Well KLH ASW15-200 seems to be an interesting 15" running at around $300 shipped. http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...de=klhasw15200

Then we have a BIC America V-1215 12" that hosts a high wattage rating. Going around $250 shipped. http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=bicv1215

Or should I just keep what I just bought? :D A Sony SA-WM500 12", ran me $200. http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=sonsawm500

Well LMK what you guys think. I can easily return the Sony if needed. Thanks for your time!

PS: using this mostly for movies, I like deep bass btw :D

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I have heard good things about BIC America in the bargain subwoofer department. But that's an enitrely anecdotal set of reports as I've never heard one.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Heh, I jus bought the SAWM500 also, did the mod and $200+($2mod) its a pretty dang good sub. I live in an apartment right now which is the only reason I bought it instead of an SVS, but let me tell you, it rocks my pants off.

I threw in the Eagles DTS DVD and it came alive in my system, the drums punch, I can hear every tone of the bass guitar or organ. In the intro to Life in the Fast Lane, I can feel the drums kick. LoTR EE muahahaha Its like I just heard it for the first time, Sleepy Hollow, T2, Matrix(helicopter/mini gun scene)The Haunting Chpt 10, Fleetwood Mack DVD/A, it all came alive. SW AoTC's in the begining chapters and it rumbled my apartment, of course it didn't nock pictures off of my walls but hey, I live in an apartment. If I lived in a house I might've well turned it up so loud that I could have.

Granted its no SVS or HSU or what have you. But after a $2 mod it transformed itslef from a boom box to a musical sub. Of course its not the best of anything, but to us who either don't have the room, the money, or just can't turn it up as loud as we want to(myself)I think its as good as anything in its price range and then some, after the mod(of course).

Of course YMMV

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I'm telling ya. save your money, run to Wallyworld(Wal-Mart) and put a 1/10 of a $2 bag of polyfil(bedding-knit section) and stuff the box with that and it will sound just as good, if not better than the other two subs you mentioned. Of course IMO.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the informative replies guys!

Heh I haven't heard of this mod. Can you guys tell me a little more? So all I gotta do is open the sub up and fill the entire area with polyfil? So what does that do...? I'm guessing creates a deeper bass?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Oh yeah, deeper, tighter bass. Takes all of the 'boom, boom' out of the sub. Here is a link that I followed directions from. This is the model that came before the 500, and has a ton of great reviews from owners after they did the mod.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/jetersne...samw40faq2.htm

All you need is a metric allen wrench set and Phillipp's head screwdriver and 5 minutes. Basically do the same thing to your's as he did to his, and I swear you'll have a brand new sub.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Another potential mod before overfilling with polyfill would be to go buy cheap, ugly ceramic floor tile that are just small enough to fit inside, but large enough to cover most of the walls. Glue the hell out of it with liquid nails (more thin strips or even better, have it completely covering the tile). Then press one tile on each face. This will make the cabinet INCREDIBLY rigid and dense. Not to be done on a subwoofer that is well-damped, but on an under damped sub, you would better better damping AND increased cabinet rigidity. On this Sony sub, you would just put in less polyfill, maybe half.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
What size of tile would be sufficient John, 4*6, 6*6? That sounds like a great idea!

·
Registered
799 Posts
By far the best sub you can get for $250-$300 is DIY. If you have some tools and basic wood working skills seriously consider it.

As for the polyfil and ceramix tiles, also don't forget that polyfil will increase the appearent volume of the enclosure and decrease the tuning point slightly, ceramic tile will decrease the volume of the enclosure and increase the tune slightly.

As long as the sub is build from MDF, bracing would have a better effect than gluing on tiles.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dustin B
As long as the sub is build from MDF, bracing would have a better effect than gluing on tiles.
I don't believe that would be the case. I've done this and it seems to be far more rigid than bracing because tile doesn't bend. It's almost perfectly rigid and would prefer to break first. The larger it is, the more it deadens the walls. Meridian uses metal to achieve largely the same thing. Bracing only reduces and changes the vibration. Tile nearly eliminates it. Not quite, but amazing. It's just to heavy to ship and make money! I have used tiles placed above and below in-wall speakers glued to the sheet rock and the effect is amazing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is the coolest mod I've heard of in a while. I wonder why more people don't make ceramic speakers besides nOrh? Better yet, custom speaker implants for your favorite ceramic art - your flower pot now hits 18Hz.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I am very curious about tile inserts or tile lined boxes. I've been considering DIY boxes for a while, especially subs. I was prefering the finish of a mahogany veneer, but plywood isn't extremely dense. So I was leaning to mdf "inserts", basically a box within a box. It seems that tile would be much more rigid. I can get large marble tiles cheap locally. I'm a little curious about the sonic effect.

I'll post in the DIY...see if I can dround some bait.

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
I believe a shiva sonotube would provide the best performance, especially in this price range.Would outperform all within twice it's price.In fact, it's the best performer at anywhere near this price, with only one rival, pointed towards the Adire Rava, also using the shiva driver in a sealed enclosure, for about $400.

Regards

·
Registered
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jingato
I just purchased this one from circuitcity.com on clearence. Does anybody have this sub? I want to make sure I made a good purchase because I can still cancel the order. It is on sale for $250 with free shipping, while crutchfield has it for $350 +shipping. What do you think? Is it a good sub?

Thanks

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/produc...y=7&speaker=49

I tried to buy that one last week but the website said they were soldout. Instead I went with an Acoustic Research 12" 250w sub from Crutchfield's scratch & dent store. $250. It'll be sitting under a table in the corner so I'm not too concerned about the cosmetics.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Some of the subwoofer kits (just screw together) from Parts express might be a good option, esp. if you have an amp laying around.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Angaria
This is the coolest mod I've heard of in a while. I wonder why more people don't make ceramic speakers besides nOrh? Better yet, custom speaker implants for your favorite ceramic art - your flower pot now hits 18Hz.
Ceramic is hard to make into speakers, its so brittle but Harman has been putting ceramics into the Infinity tweeters for years. Now they have a new model of Revel speakers that have ceramic cones.

They get good reviews

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
OK I bought a WM40, and have it open.

This sub is large square and fairly ugly. though not obnoxiously so... Certainly my HTIB Onkyo sub is a fashion model compared to this thing :)

Its made of MDF roughly 2/3 of an inch thick. Thereare 2 little wood braces on 4 of the 8 internal joints, it seems braced appropiately for a 150 dollar sub, no more, no less.

I noticed that on 4 of the 6 sides have there is a 1 inch x 2 inch piece of flat rubberized material (1/16 inch thick) stapled in the middle. I have no clue what these are for? if I did the tile mod, i would have to remove them. My only guess is that these were used in the manufacturing process, maybe this is where the robot arms grab the MDF?

It has a hefty amp section, with nice heat sinks, the amp is attached in the back outside the MDF, which looks kind of like the back of a cheap TV.

There is a piece of thin foam in the back, on the inside of the MDF, obviously for sound treating or vibration treating, but its pretty small. Also, the wires on the inside are covered with foam to eliminate vibration, most likely

The large 12 inch driver appears to have 2 different sized magnets, its a nice heavy driver, though not fancy looking, there were zero aesthetical considerations when making it.

Ok so the only 2 mods ive heard suggested are

a) the polyfil mod, and

b) the tile mod.

Are there others that I am missing?

My initial reaction to the sound is, its got alot of power, and is not very musical, but may be very good for movies ... Im hoping some mods will make it somewhat better at both :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've got a 15" Velodyne sub CT-150. Would the polyfill increase that power of that? I think it has plenty of power for the room but if it improves the acoustics I may do it...

friz

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.