AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The best tweak I have heard is actually.... a great recording!! It still amazes me how much better a good recording or movie dvd is when it is produced correctly. Listen to the Sony version of Miles Davis-Kind of blue. It is surround sound in two channel. The exactness of the location of the instruments is incredible.

The other tweak: 20 lb bag of gun shot on top of Moniter Audio speakers.I was auditoning speakers a couple years ago and listening to Holly Cole- live, and the sales person(who makes speakers) said close your eyes and tell me what you hear. He put on the gun shot and the solidness of the bass line tightened up and was more exact!!

Has anyone tried this type of thing??

Larry Kosova

p.s. So what is your best tweak????????

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Best tweak:

I had my vision checked,it had been a couple of years. Better results than years of tweaking a projector.

Second best:

Went the SDI route from DVD to scaler.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
For me, the best tweak is mattes for my Mits RPTV. I tell you, I was stunned at the difference they made. It's not what I saw...it's what I didn't see. All of a sudden the horizontal masking bars on DVDs with large aspect ratios (larger than 1.85:1) disappeared, and my eyes immediately focused on the image. It's almost like having multiple TVs for every aspect ratio, for about $30 (the cost of all materials/supplies to make the mattes).

This weekend I visited someone in my area who has a 110" diagonal Stewart Firehawk with electric masking, and we compared the masked image to the non-masked image. No contest.

I should point out the biggest difference will be realized in a very dark or completely dark room, but even with significant ambient light I like what the mattes do for the image.

If anyone wants more info, click on the link in my signature for my HT website and look for the link off the home page.

Larry, what line of Monitor Audio speakers do you have and how do you like them? I've been eyeing the Gold Reference line and just ordered the Silvers for my parents' HT. Will you be using the MA's in your dedicated HT when it's completed?

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
My wife ain't into my home theater. And if she notices something NEW in the room costing even only a few hundred bucks, I am in deep DOO DOO!

But back in late Oct. 2000 I had just put in my then new Stewart 4 Way Electrimask 80" wide 16:9 1.3 gain screen for my Dwin HD-700 CRT Projector. I had to tell my wife about it in advance cause no way she wouldn't have noticed it.

To my surprise - she LUVED IT!!!!

The masking really adds to the picture, both by a nice non-reflective black frame around the picture, and beause the masking doesn't reflect light back onto the screen.

As of all my other "tweaks", the Wife could care less. Even though I do.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The biggest and best tweak I've ever added is a PSAudio Power Plant. It's a very noticable improvement, and it improves everything that plugs into it. Just makes the music and sound that much more etherial, so much so I really missed it when I had to send it in for a repair.

Another one that didn't cost me anything was preforming the H-TLV manuver on my RPTV. Gave me a much sharper more involving picture. Made me go from being disappointed in my set to loving it. Info on this tweak can be found at the Keohi HDTV site.
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/

I guess along with this same note, one could go for an ISF calibration, as doing the proper calibration on my set made all the difference in the world. (if this can be considered a tweak)

--JD

·
Registered
468 Posts
A cheap tweak that was taught to me by my mother.

Clean your glasses.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hi All,

Here are some of my favorite tweaks.

The PS Audio 300 power plant definitely was the winner for best tweak.

Then would be the Lifting up of the Speaker cables with Tall Wine glasses.

Then the Virtual Dynamic Power Signature cords.

And also putting Final Labs Daruma's underneath my Sony 777es and EAD Theatermaster Preamp/processor.

And also using Black Velvet curtains to cover up my metal window blinds made a huge difference as well.

Treating the room was a must. And also one of the earliest tweaks 4 years ago was learning the importance of setting up the Speakers properly.

Just my 2cents, Brian

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
Oh - a really super tweak is to - REST from tweaking. I've been trying this to a limited extent the past months with pretty good success!!!!!

(Of course leaving all my prior tweaks in my system, most of the tweaks discussed above, and more!)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Quote:
Oh - a really super tweak is to - REST from tweaking. I've been trying this to a limited extent the past months with pretty good success!!!!!

(Of course leaving all my prior tweaks in my system, most of the tweaks discussed above, and more!)
Me too...I've tried hard lately not to get too crazy with tweaks, sit back, and enjoy movies on my system with what I have in its current, tweaked state. It's hard but I'm trying! (must not notice and try to fix shadow detail, must not try to tweak sharpness to remove edge enhancement, etc.).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Best Audio tweak:

Removed clips inside my speakers and solder the wires directly as suggested by Alan Maher. Followed by installing BYbee Filter on the positive side of all speaker drivers.

Those Bybee are wonderful ........

Best Video tweak:

Replaced the ac power cord on my RPTV with a 12 awg power cord and placed an AuriCap .47uf across the hot and netural as suggested by Alan Maher.

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
Bybee devices??? Now you don't want to get me started. DO NOT look at my system description (click on my profile and then my listed home page to get to it) or you'll see I've got lots of internal Bybee devices on internal component AC (including PS Audio Power Plants) and at drivers for Aerial 10Ts, CC5 and Aerial SW-12 subwoofers), plus some external Bybee AC Charger filters. Of course, this is long done, which is why I'm so happy, rested, with relatively little tweaking these days.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Best Tweak, and FREE, is to learn to access the PJ service menu and reset crummy factory settings. Experiment to your heart's desire, but write down all factory settings berfore adjusting anything. Don't trust your memory.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scott,

I just auditioned them about 4 years ago in my 2 channel days. I have M&K 85(great for jazz) and M&K 150 for Home theater. I like the British sounding speakers(the 85's can be set for British or German speakers).

I thought the Moniter Audio speakers were great,esp. with a good source. Try the 20lb bag of gunshot!!!!

Larry Kosova

·
Registered
911 Posts
Definately mattes for me. Won't watch a movie without 'em. Hmmm...I'll think I'll try the weight on my speakers. I have them on top of some equipment, can't believe I overlooked the speakers. :eek:

Jose.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Any power related tweak ( PLC, Power Crods, Bybees ) has proven worthwhile. But in particular, the best tweak was improving the power cords on my digital gear over the years.

Stock Cord -> Blue Circle BC-62 -> Harmonic Tech Pro-AC11 -> Granite Audio 560 -> Virtual Dynamics Signature

I also think Symposium Rollerblocks are great too.

- Andy

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Andy, you seem to have vast experience with several types of power cords. Have you ever heard of Balanced Power Technologies power cords, and if so, what do you think of them? They seem reasonably priced to me and I know someone who uses them and is very satisfied.

Thanks,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.