AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still in search of a clean signal for HDTV locals.

Need some opinions. What is hands down the best UHF antenna for outdoor or attic use.

BTW. I am beginning to hate Direct TV. You know, pay for HD, pay for locals, pay for Sunday Ticket, and still have to hassle with a @#!% antenna:(

OOps. Sorry wrong forum. Guess I'm more frustrated than I thought:D

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Big D,

Thats ok, Id like to know also, Im always asked this. Kinka hard to know how far away you are from the transmitter so over kill I guess. Doug

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doug,

29 miles form Atlanta. Thing is I'm in a bit of a valley here. So far a Radio Shack UHF only antenna with a 26g amp works best, but still can't pull in ABC But more importantly CBS (the Superbowl) keeps losing sync.

Just wasted a day moving the antenna from the attic to the roof with no improvement. Did'nt have as much hassle setting up my pj as fooling with this [email protected]@#$ antenna:D

·
Registered
448 Posts
a custom designed antenna for the specific frequency of the channel you are trying to receive.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scott,

Were you able to buy the channel-master locally, or off of the web.

Marco,

You did'nt happen to measure the silver sensor compared to Radio Shacks UHF directional by chance?

Hmmmm, Silver Sensor, Silver Star screen. Could be an omen:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don,

Check this website, www.antennaweb.org , to find out how far you are from the stations. I got a Channel Master antenna model 3016 from my local Lowe's store. They also carry the model 3018 and 3020 which covers up to the violet zone (~70 miles from the stations). You can go to their website and check if the store in your area have one in stock. The antenna works pretty well for me and it took me only 40 mins to install on the roof.

Naris

·
Premium Member
16,741 Posts
Quote:
You did'nt happen to measure the silver sensor compared to Radio Shacks UHF directional by chance?
No, I just bought each set-top antenna I could find on the shelf at BB, CC, and Lowes. Amplified and non-amplified, prices ranging from $5 - $89. I should've saved and submitted the signal strengths as a post.

The other thing that seemed to make an improvement was the nicer/thicker cable (coax? it says 18AWG 2.3GHz, but I think there's another code that it's called) at Lowe's made by Zenith. When I used the standard cable, I had to play twister (reposition by walking around the room) to get the weaker stations to come in; now I can leave it in one place and get all channels.

I'm about 25 mi W of DC. With the SS and that thicker cable (25'?) I get all DC OTA: NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, WB, at 90-99%. PBS at 65-69%, I get a few frozen frames at 65%, no matter how I move the antenna (and none of the other antennas did better with PBS).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.